Author Topic: Best way maximize land for mango tree planting  (Read 702 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Best way maximize land for mango tree planting
« on: August 26, 2022, 02:24:10 PM »
Hello there friends, what would be the best way to use this space of land to plant some mango trees?

Here is a picture of the land, it has a slope so it drains well.

I have already planted another mango tree next to the other one and it is 15 feet apart.
I can plant some at the top near the fence as well.

What would you recommend to maximize this area for cultivars?

Thanks

Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best way maximize land for mango tree planting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 02:32:00 PM »
Plant smaller trees Cogshall  ,Pickering , Dwarf Hawaiian
Mike

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 03:04:52 PM »
I put in mango tree thinking 15ft would be ok since they dont grow that fast here but they are already getting tight. 

20ft is probably better for florida. 
Brad Spaugh

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 12:48:27 PM »
Yes, I already have smaller trees in mind.
Thank you!
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 06:27:39 PM »
I put in mango tree thinking 15ft would be ok since they dont grow that fast here but they are already getting tight. 

I planted some mango @ 10 feet. They are not too tight yet and approaching year 5.
But if year 10 comes and I find they are tight I can eliminate every other one, at that point, to have 20 ft spacing.
They are averaging 40 pounds/tree each of fruit which is 40 x $3.50 USD = $140 USD/year/tree.
The trees cost $15 each at wholesale, so selling for two years easily recoups the cost of those trees which may be eliminated.
Selling crop from those trees another 8 years pays for the establishment and irrigation costs for the whole planting.

So, to me, planting close is not a problem so long as you can be pragmatic and willing to sacrifice excess trees.
After all, we usually thin vegetable seedlings, thinning out trees can be considered no differently.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 10:20:14 PM »
So, to me, planting close is not a problem so long as you can be pragmatic and willing to sacrifice excess trees.
After all, we usually thin vegetable seedlings, thinning out trees can be considered no differently.

I'm approaching my tree plantings in this same way. My hope is that my seedling trees will be worth salvaging, and if so, they will then be grafted onto a neighboring tree should they be the one to ultimately be removed.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 11:21:06 PM »

I planted some mango @ 10 feet. They are not too tight yet and approaching year 5.
But if year 10 comes and I find they are tight I can eliminate every other one, at that point, to have 20 ft spacing.
They are averaging 40 pounds/tree each of fruit which is 40 x $3.50 USD = $140 USD/year/tree.
The trees cost $15 each at wholesale, so selling for two years easily recoups the cost of those trees which may be eliminated.
Selling crop from those trees another 8 years pays for the establishment and irrigation costs for the whole planting.

Smart
Brad Spaugh