Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Acclimatizing S American Garcinias

(1/1)

happyhana:
Preparing to plant out a batch of achachairu, acuminata and modruno from the nursery. Grown in tree pots they are at least two years old and two foot tall. Grown under 50% shade and have been exposed to morning sun for the last month to get them ready for the field.

Yesterday I noticed some leaf burn and drop on the achachairus. With rainy cool conditions ahead now is the time to plant but I donít want to lose these plants or have to shade in the field.

Is this typical? Will they adapt and reshoot in ground or do I risk losing these plants?

Achachairu strikes me as very robust so Iím inclined to go for it and let them figure it out in ground.

roblack:
All day direct sun on juvenile garcinias is not a good idea. I recommend you shade them with some taller potted trees or shade cloth. Misting them a couple of times per day can help.

elouicious:

--- Quote from: roblack on February 23, 2024, 02:23:55 PM ---All day direct sun on juvenile garcinias is not a good idea. I recommend you shade them with some taller potted trees or shade cloth. Misting them a couple of times per day can help.

--- End quote ---
seconded- killed way too many Garcinia pushing the light too early- also you can plant in the shade of chop and drop species if you got em

Bush2Beach:
The Achachairu should be fine full sun in Hana Maui, I think theyíll grow faster as well.
The Madrunoís will do better with afternoon shade or a shade cage until 5-6 feet.

happyhana:

--- Quote from: Bush2Beach on February 23, 2024, 05:05:07 PM ---The Achachairu should be fine full sun in Hana Maui, I think theyíll grow faster as well.
The Madrunoís will do better with afternoon shade or a shade cage until 5-6 feet.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, this aligns with what Iíve observed. Acuminata and madrunos are a year older at least foot shorter than achachairu. Also noticed when planting they had about half the feeder roots.

Iíve got shade cloth on hand but for now going to watch closely in full sun, which this time of year is mostly clouds and rain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version