Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Question about grafting dormant trifoliate/citrumelo

(1/2) > >>

Mulberry0126:
Hi all!
I have a specific question for those who might have encountered this situation when grafting: can you/have you successfully grafted onto dormant rootstock after moving it into a warmer environment?
We have both trifoliate and citrumelo which partially defoliated but still have some fully green leaves on them. These were in outdoor conditions but have since been moved inside for grafting and growing under grow lights at ~70F.
Previously I have let the rootstock begin to sprout under these conditions before grafting, but I am wondering if this step is necessary since they wake up fairly quick in a warm, bright environment.
Thank you in advance!

vnomonee:
I haven't had good success grafting indoors. After the grow lights go off the temperature drops. I find that the grafts usually rot out, perhaps too much humidity + cool temperature. I will try and use a plant heat mat as an experiment, keeping the rootstock warm. Waiting on some shelving for my indoor setup as I don't have room right now but will report on success rate.

Mulberry0126:

--- Quote from: vnomonee on January 24, 2024, 03:45:03 PM ---I haven't had good success grafting indoors. After the grow lights go off the temperature drops. I find that the grafts usually rot out, perhaps too much humidity + cool temperature. I will try and use a plant heat mat as an experiment, keeping the rootstock warm. Waiting on some shelving for my indoor setup as I don't have room right now but will report on success rate.

--- End quote ---
It definitely seems like temperature is a big factor with grafting citrus, we've had them fail in cooler temps too.

Peep:
Yes, I have grafted on dormant rootstock (Poncirus) in January. Last year I did a batch of 13 or 14 grafts, with 100% success rate. Higher than I've had grafting in spring and summer.

The rootstocks were outside until the moment I grafted them. But after grafting I try to warm them up with a heating pad. Here you can see a picture of those January grafts, at the bottom of the cardboard box there was a heating pad.

This year I have only made one graft so far. It was on a larger rootstock, and my heating pad was partially in use, so instead I put it on our heated floor for about a week I think. Then I moved it to a south facing window. I left some Poncirus branches (no leaves present) below the graft and three days ago I noticed it had began making new growth. The scion still looks healthy, not sure if it has started new growth. I didn't notice any today, but I didn't look up close.

Peep:
I can confirm that the Yuzu graft that I made on January 5th is showing the beginning of new growth now.

Still early but it's there:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version