Author Topic: plant tape tying tool  (Read 1859 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
plant tape tying tool
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:20:12 AM »
I am in the market for one of those tools that staple the plant tape around the plant so it breaks when the tree grows as opposed to girdling the plant from my fisherman knots.   Does anyone have a brand that they know to be quality?  I was eyeing this one

http://smile.amazon.com/Zenport-ZL100-Large-Tapener-Compatible/dp/B004T4VZAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423400884&sr=8-1&keywords=tapener

or this

http://smile.amazon.com/docooler-Agriculture-Machine-Vegetable-Tomato/dp/B00MQPQJW0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1423401227&sr=8-7&keywords=nursery+tie+tape

George

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: plant tape tying tool
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »
Even with that tool, it does not break easily.  Its usually up to the stapke failing that allows for it to come off on its own.

George - maybe you could hire someone, not sure who but i bet there is someone out there who would work for a dunkochino, to monitor your trees and re-tie and re-stake as needed.
- Rob

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:29:32 AM »
I tried Rob but the Dunkachino needs to be spread over my chest.  Some things I am just not willing to part with for the good of my plants. 

So this thing is bunk or is it worth getting?
George

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:45:11 PM »
George, I have one of these tools works great and yes they do break away with growth increases! Some tip's you have to use there roll's of tape and I would spend more for the one that catches all the little cut offs of tape every time you use it! Other wise you have to pick up these little pieces of tape all over the place. Good luck ;) 8)

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 02:10:45 PM »
Do you have a specific one you can link to Scott?
George

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 06:31:44 PM »
funny timing.  I just got through removing all the stapled tape from my trees, though a few more may be eluding me.  I understand why it is done on the nursery end as it is quicker, but I have seen many trees that have an indentation where the tape was and it didn't break.  Just my 2 cents, but I would recommend that newbies remove them immediately after the tree is established.  I am using velcro "tape" from HD at the moment, but I don't know if the same will happen with it as well.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 07:11:49 PM »
Hi George, I bought the Zenport L99 it has smaller rolls of tape about 3" in Diameter. Look at bottom of page of first link that you posted.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »
Try to find some plants which works for you. I use willow twigs for that kind of use, or some Carex: they do rot in a couple of years, so there's no chance for them to girdle. Plus they are biodegradable and free.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk