Author Topic: Advice for mango tree Houston, TX area Zone 9a  (Read 1625 times)

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Advice for mango tree Houston, TX area Zone 9a
« on: June 18, 2022, 12:14:08 PM »
My brother-in-law lives in Houston and has been asking me for a mango tree he can grow in Houston, either in ground or in a wheeled large container.  I'm located in South Florida so I can grow pretty much any mango out there.  I likely have access to more mango sellers and variety than he does so maybe I can find him a suitable plant.  Any advice on a variety of mango that would be preferable to the Houston area?  Any advice on sources in S.FL also appreciated.   I kinda have a feeling his area could grow many of the varieties as well but don't know for sure.
There's a nursery (http://www.excaliburfruittrees.com/fruits.html) near me that specializes in fruit trees.  They have a huge selection of mangoes so I'll make a visit there soon. 
Thx
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:35:53 PM by Orly »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for mango tree Houston, TX area Zone 9a
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 02:35:29 PM »
Unless he is willing to protect it every year I think container grown is the way to go

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 03:49:14 PM »
Unless he is willing to protect it every year I think container grown is the way to go

So the low temps are likely to be an issue?  That's ok, he's fine with container grown and moving inside during low temps. 

Going the container route, would a dwarf variety be a better choice?   

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 10:56:27 PM »

So the low temps are likely to be an issue?  That's ok, he's fine with container grown and moving inside during low temps. 

Going the container route, would a dwarf variety be a better choice?

Get him a Pickering. Keep it in a pot or build a structure over it that can be heated to keep the temps above freezing. He will need to prune it to keep it a manageable size, but Pickering tends to be easier to control and has good quality fruit.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 02:48:56 AM »
This thread is already a few years old but regarding suitable mangoes for pots it's quite informative:

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17443.0

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »
Pickering mango is on the list of that local fruit nursery.  Gonna call tomorrow to confirm they're available. 

Thanks for the suggestion and the resource link.

Painter

• Houston, Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 08:58:43 PM »
We have fruited cogshall in the ground and diamond, fruit cocktail and piņa colada in containers no problem.  Probably one of the easier fruits to container grow in houston for sure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk