Author Topic: Curly leaves on yellow sapote  (Read 517 times)

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
Curly leaves on yellow sapote
« on: December 20, 2022, 04:14:42 AM »
This yellow sapote was recently dug out and planted in this location. In the process of digging it out, I broke the largest root, I wasn't expecting such small tree to have a root that depth. This was about two weeks ago.

Right now, this is the situation in its new spot:

Notice those curly leaves? What might be the reason?

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Curly leaves on yellow sapote
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »
Looks like the leaves are drying up. Likely transplant shock from breaking the root. Just keep it well watered and maybe give it a bit of shade with some shade cloth or maybe a large potted plant that can cast a shadow over it until it pulls through.
Alexi

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 01:04:53 PM »
Looks like the leaves are drying up. Likely transplant shock from breaking the root. Just keep it well watered and maybe give it a bit of shade with some shade cloth or maybe a large potted plant that can cast a shadow over it until it pulls through.
That + i would cut half or more of the leaves of the plant , you can just leave the top ones. When you cut them leave the petioles , the plant will absorb them and that will also be a clue if it will survive. Ive always done this to any plant that i have transplanted, when they had leaves. The absorption of the petiole has always been a singh that the plant is pulling resources from unneded parts, and is trying to survive.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 01:19:32 PM »
Whats a yellow sapote?

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 03:22:49 PM »
Whats a yellow sapote?
at least where I live, it's known as Canistel. Scientific name is Pouteria campechiana.

water is not a problem. It's been raining, and when it does not for some days, I water the tree. Actually, I have two potted mangoes "protecting" it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk