Author Topic: Traveling to Costa Rica HELP  (Read 5383 times)

SEEDTALKOC

• Costa Mesa
    • View Profile
Traveling to Costa Rica HELP
« on: January 24, 2021, 04:45:42 AM »
I am traveling to Costa Rica next month and I am looking to taste all the craziest fruits available out there.
I most likely will be heading to San Jose and renting a car from there!
Can you guys point me to some locations and possibly farms where I can try fruits like rollinia soursop garcinia chupa chupa durian ROMBUTAN mountain soursop Jaboticaba etc.
Thank you for your time and any responses I recieve!!!

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling to Costa Rica HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 12:50:03 PM »
I am traveling to Costa Rica next month and I am looking to taste all the craziest fruits available out there.
Can you guys point me to some locations and possibly farms where I can try fruits like rollinia soursop garcinia chupa chupa durian ROMBUTAN mountain soursop Jaboticaba etc.

Be sure to go to Finca La Isla, believe me you will thank me later. Amazing place. A good way to thank me if u go is by posting some pics on the forum, nothin fancy fella ;D

,William

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 05:26:48 PM »
Try to find these limes.  They are amazing.  I’d be very excited if you grabbed a few seeds for me.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=41463.msg409411#msg409411

Have fun, Costa Rica is awesome.  The fruit is amazing.  I’ve never been at a breakfast buffet and gone straight to the fruit section first, lol.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:28:19 PM by MorroBay »

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 05:41:04 PM »

My strong suggestion to you, especially if this will be your first visit to Costa Rica, is that when you arrive in Costa Rica it is good to understand that the airport (SJO) is actually 19 kilometers west of San José.  But SJO is only 2 k. from the 2nd largest city in the country, Alajuela [a-la-WHEY-la], where there are quite a number of modestly priced B&Bs available to choose from.  Staying in Alajuela will let you avoid the now horrific traffic backups on the General Cañas Highway, the route to San José from SJO. And since many flights get in in the late afternoon and it goes full dark fast about 5pm, you would arrive in congested and confusing San José after dark!

Staying in Alajuela is also beneficial because it will permit day trips to various places, like other small towns, gardens, and nurseries, in the western Central Valley.  Plus Alajuela has the largest weekend farmers market (feria) of any of the small towns in the country, and at the feria (just SW of the 'Centro') you will be able to try all the tropical fruits, fresh in season that will be being offered in the market stalls.  In fact you may find more fruits in the feria that you might by visiting any of the farms around the valley.

If you stay in Alajuela you can have a restful evening and then get an early start the next morning.  If you get there on a Friday then that would allow you to visit the feria the next day.

Something that will affect which fruits that are available in the feria is what month(s) you plan to visit.  February may not offer near so many fruits as going in March through July would do.  IMO prolly from late March onward would be your best time to visit as there will be many more and different kinds of fruits ripening during that period.  Also, there is a lot of fresh fruit available in the Alajuela central market (Mercado Central) which is in Alajela Central (downtown Alajuela).

And BTW, please don't rent a car at the airport as there are some really hefty fees added to do so.  Your best bet is to rent a car in the Alajuela area.  The B&B you choose will be able to help you with renting a car and they generally can get you a much better rate on a rental.

Feel free to PM me if you have other QQs.

¡Pura Vida!

Paul M.
==

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 11:00:26 PM »
Great information, Paul.  Makes me want to go, too!
John

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 03:15:58 AM »

Not unsurprisingly the fresh tropical fruit is one of the main draws to Costa Rica for me.  Mangoes start coming in in late April and get better-tasting each month until one wonders whether they could possibly get any better —and yet they do!

Pineapples in the States we can get pretty darn close to the same quality that we can get fresh in CR, but cost only a third of the price down there!!

Bananas in the tropics that have been allowed to reach full size (rather than being shipped 2/3s mature and then gassed here) in the tropics are unbelievable great.  They put US grocerystore bananas' flavor all to shame.

Other things like soursops, rambutans (mamon chino), maracujá (passionfruit), have all been tasty.

There were even (purple/true) mangosteens, too, but only in July and August and the ones that I got to try were apparently just beyond full ripe and so had lost much of their flavor.

There are many other things, too, like nances and pejibayes to try when in season. All these and the above-mentioned ones, too, are to be found at the weekend feria in Alajuela.  What a veritable fruit smörgåsbord!

Before I forget another thing that I dote on in CR that's made with fruit are refrescos, fresh fruit (banana, pineapple, mango, strawberry, or whatever) blended with sugar and with water or with milk and served chilled.  Refrescos are very popular with the ticos (costarricans).  My favorite among the refrescos is mora en leche (blackberry in milk).  it's kinda like drinking a blackberry cobbler without the crust.  Yum!

And don't forget to try some sorbet or ice cream before you leave.  Many of the tropical fruits are turned into frozen treats.  There are many ice cream shops (heladerias) everywhere.  POPS is one brand that seems to have shops everywhere.  Worth a try.  Yum!

OK – ¡Buen Provecho!

Paul M.
==

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
Ok, that does it.  I AM going!  (I'm bookmarking this information.)  Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Oaxaca (Mexico) always sounded good to me.  I'm adding CR.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:48:43 AM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 09:21:39 AM »

Be sure to go to Finca La Isla, believe me you will thank me later. Amazing place. A good way to thank me if u go is by posting some pics on the forum, nothin fancy fella ;D

,William

Yes, contact Peter from Finca La Isla.  He is a forum member.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 12:27:00 PM »

Not unsurprisingly the fresh tropical fruit is one of the main draws to Costa Rica for me.  Mangoes start coming in in late April and get better-tasting each month until one wonders whether they could possibly get any better —and yet they do!

Pineapples in the States we can get pretty darn close to the same quality that we can get fresh in CR, but cost only a third of the price down there!!

Bananas in the tropics that have been allowed to reach full size (rather than being shipped 2/3s mature and then gassed here) in the tropics are unbelievable great.  They put US grocerystore bananas' flavor all to shame.

Other things like soursops, rambutans (mamon chino), maracujá (passionfruit), have all been tasty.

There were even (purple/true) mangosteens, too, but only in July and August and the ones that I got to try were apparently just beyond full ripe and so had lost much of their flavor.

There are many other things, too, like nances and pejibayes to try when in season. All these and the above-mentioned ones, too, are to be found at the weekend feria in Alajuela.  What a veritable fruit smörgåsbord!

Before I forget another thing that I dote on in CR that's made with fruit are refrescos, fresh fruit (banana, pineapple, mango, strawberry, or whatever) blended with sugar and with water or with milk and served chilled.  Refrescos are very popular with the ticos (costarricans).  My favorite among the refrescos is mora en leche (blackberry in milk).  it's kinda like drinking a blackberry cobbler without the crust.  Yum!

And don't forget to try some sorbet or ice cream before you leave.  Many of the tropical fruits are turned into frozen treats.  There are many ice cream shops (heladerias) everywhere.  POPS is one brand that seems to have shops everywhere.  Worth a try.  Yum!

OK – ¡Buen Provecho!

Paul M.
==
Sounds very inviting :)
Would you have any tips for amateur photographers who are very interested in birds and butterflies

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:30:48 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 02:52:10 PM »
Hi Friends
A perfect place could be Puerto Rico. In Agust you can get durians, RAMBUTANS,quenepas,mammea americana,baccaureas,avocados etc. Hope that the population could get herd immunization from covid 19

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 03:23:42 PM »
Would you have any tips for amateur photographers who are very interested in birds and butterflies

OT Reply per member request . . .

Yes in addition to the amazing and wonderful tropical fruits in Costa Rica being discussed here, there are several butterfly farms in the Central Valley.  (Also for those interested a couple of serpentaria, too.)

And there is ZooAve (now called Rescate Wildlife Rescue Center) in La Garita about 20 minutes west of Alajuela. ZooAve is a bird zoo and bird (and animal) rehab facility.  It is well worth a visit.  ZooAve has a website:
[ https://www.rescatewildlife.org/es/inicio/ ]

As to photographing birds, just go out into the CR countryside and keep your eyes open.  Thee will be plenty to photograph.  If you want a more intense and learned experience there are sevaral birding groups in Costa Rica.  One of those groups is the Birding Club of Costa Rica (BCCR), a private group that travels around Costa Rica to observe and identify and learn about the many different bird species of the country.
[ https://www.birdingclubcr.org ]

And if you can find the book, A NATURALIST IN COSTA RICA, by Alexander Skutch, he wrote this book as his thesis for the University of Florida.  It discusses the birds and their habitats in Costa Rica.  The book's narrative begins in the late 1940s and continues through the early '70s.  I'm not particularly into birds but found this a most fascinating and absorbing book. It will surely help get anyone acquainted with birds and what to look for in Costa Rica. Should be easy to find a used copy for cheap.
[ ISBN-13 : 978-0813011486 ]

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 07:07:36 PM »

OT Reply per member request . . .

Yes in addition to the amazing and wonderful tropical fruits in Costa Rica being discussed here, there are several butterfly farms in the Central Valley.  (Also for those interested a couple of serpentaria, too.)

And there is ZooAve (now called Rescate Wildlife Rescue Center) in La Garita about 20 minutes west of Alajuela. ZooAve is a bird zoo and bird (and animal) rehab facility.  It is well worth a visit.  ZooAve has a website:
[ https://www.rescatewildlife.org/es/inicio/ ]

As to photographing birds, just go out into the CR countryside and keep your eyes open.  Thee will be plenty to photograph.  If you want a more intense and learned experience there are sevaral birding groups in Costa Rica.  One of those groups is the Birding Club of Costa Rica (BCCR), a private group that travels around Costa Rica to observe and identify and learn about the many different bird species of the country.
[ https://www.birdingclubcr.org ]

And if you can find the book, A NATURALIST IN COSTA RICA, by Alexander Skutch, he wrote this book as his thesis for the University of Florida.  It discusses the birds and their habitats in Costa Rica.  The book's narrative begins in the late 1940s and continues through the early '70s.  I'm not particularly into birds but found this a most fascinating and absorbing book. It will surely help get anyone acquainted with birds and what to look for in Costa Rica. Should be easy to find a used copy for cheap.
[ ISBN-13 : 978-0813011486 ]

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==
That sounds truly amazing.
Thank you.
 Your truly a wealth of knowledge.
A backpack with tropical fruit and a camera in my hand that's what I call pure joy :)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:12:27 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 06:29:22 AM »
Thank you.
A backpack with tropical fruit and a camera in my hand that's what I call pure joy :)

Thanx!  The way I see it knowledge is far less useful if it isn't shared.

Thats what makes Forums like this one so valuable:  Many folks asking questions and sharing their knowledge.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 08:35:51 PM »
Thank you.

Thanx!  The way I see it knowledge is far less useful if it isn't shared.

Thats what makes Forums like this one so valuable:  Many folks asking questions and sharing their knowledge.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
I just got pleasantly surprised. There are 36 RCI resorts in Costa Rica so having a place to stay will not be an issue. :)
Many are on the Pacific side  I read many years ago that there are or is a black sand beach somewhere on that side. This weekend I will restudy this thread and the resort map and come up with a future itinerary. I am hoping the flights are cheaper than going to St Lucia which are like 800 to 1000 dollars
Yes it is nice to share information
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:38:22 PM by bovine421 »

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 10:56:20 PM »
I tried for first time Chupa chupa here in Costa Rica. I bought them in supermarket. There were also pejibaye palm fruits. I had to boil them for an hour with salt and they taste great.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 11:01:31 PM »
Yes, chupa chupa, Matisia, is in season right now.  We get by with boiling pejibaye for about 20 minutes. Great food.
Saludos, Peter

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 11:18:43 PM »

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 12:52:23 AM »
Who’s got the Durians planted in Puerto Rico where they are available?
Thanks!
Hi Friends
A perfect place could be Puerto Rico. In Agust you can get durians, RAMBUTANS,quenepas,mammea americana,baccaureas,avocados etc. Hope that the population could get herd immunization from covid 19

roycarballo

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 02:17:23 PM »
Hello
A piece of advice from a Costa Rican: if you visit us in April, don't forget to go to Orotina, to the "International Fruit Fair". This year it will be held from April 21 to May 2.
And once in Orotina, don't forget to visit Frutas Zill.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2022, 02:34:33 PM »
Not fruit related but we enjoyed the white water rafting trip with these people. We did the two day trip which overnights at their lodge.
https://rios-tropicales.business.site/

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2022, 03:47:48 PM »
Hello
A piece of advice from a Costa Rican: if you visit us in April, don't forget to go to Orotina, to the "International Fruit Fair". This year it will be held from April 21 to May 2.
And once in Orotina, don't forget to visit Frutas Zill.

any more info on this? website?

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2022, 11:06:09 PM »
I travel there last summer. I had great surprises just going to supermarkets. I got Chupa chupa nance, pejivalle, chirimoya etc
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2022, 07:41:52 AM »
I have never heard of this fruit fair. But in the case of Orotina there are very large fruit stands there next to the highway. Costa Rica in general has large fruit stands and lots of big farmers markets.

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2022, 01:38:58 PM »
Tangentially related to this thread's topic(s), if you are heading to Costa Rica right now don't overlook the

47TH  Annual EXPOSICIÓN NACIONAL de ORQUÍDEAS

which is being held at Lankester Botanical Garden just east of the old capital, Cartago.

The Expo will run March 3,4, and 5 and also March 10,11, and 12.

Ten of the regional Costarrican Orchid Asociations will be participating in the Expo.

Here is a link to an article about this year's Orchid Expo at Lankester:

https://www.ucr.ac.cr/noticias/2022/03/04/la-exposicion-nacional-de-orquideas-se-realiza-por-primera-vez-en-el-jardin-botanico-lankester.html?fbclid=IwAR3kYgQDOE6aNnBqxFqMdsV2F3FfDzE8QbW7Oglq8tlbl1SHuCzN5Ovz_l4#

BTW, Lankester Botanical Garden is an amazing place in its own right and should not be missed if you are in Costa Rica.

¡Pura Vida!

Paul M.
==

DonnaDuncan

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 07:17:31 PM »
spammer
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02:46:16 PM by JakeFruit »