Author Topic: My Yard 2022  (Read 6842 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
My Yard 2022
« on: May 24, 2022, 05:30:31 PM »

From left to right: lemon by the trellis, santa rosa plum, cas guava behind it, campo ramon jaboticaba behind it, orange flesh tropical guava, guabiju, peruvian apple cactus, flavor king pluot, lucuma, eugenia calycina, boysenberry - any small plants or grassy looking stuff is nitrogen fixing crops to improve the soil.

L-R: Mountain guava, persian mulberry, pineapple guava, and then the plum mentioned above

Violet de bordeaux fig and Pakistani / Himalayan grafted on dwarf mulberry

Mountain guava on left, Sir Prize avo on right, vanilla ice cream bean behind the guava, lamb hass, paw paw patch, golden berry

El bumpo / knight grafted cherimoya on left, garden beds

Mexican apple on right, lemon guava on left, tiger stripe fig and champagne fig on hill side in background

L-R: Eldorado CORG, seedling CORG from Exotica with ben's beaut and ScottR's seedling grafted, added Kevin Jones Garnet last week, then a strawberry guava and black star pitanga in same pot, red seedling pitanga, and grafted vermillion pitanga

White mulberry with the grafted dwarf in background

A shot of the orange flesh guava and pluot from behind

Sabara jabo in half tote

Many cultivars of dragonfruit, jabos, eugenias, etc in front of greenhouse (it's mostly empty for summer)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 06:26:23 PM by K-Rimes »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: My Yard 2022
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 05:32:22 PM »

Grafted atemoya / cherimoya, LSU purple, and musso di vo fig. Will put a longan down here in the spare room, not my best spot but it'll have to do

L-R: Hass avo, lisa atemoya, paw paw patch, grimal jabo, seedling cherimoya I'll graft when it shoots up
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 06:28:33 PM by K-Rimes »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 06:13:55 PM »
Your home seems like a very special place surrounded by nature.  You've done a great job incorporating your plants, they all look healthy and like they're meant to be there.  Thank you for sharing, I always love seeing other people's gardens.  Hope you have an abundant harvest soon.

Janet

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 06:23:29 PM »
Cool pic's Kevin, looks like your putting plants in the ground now very nice. Is your PH low because of Oaks that grew all in that area? Plants are looking great! 8)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 06:29:16 PM »
Your home seems like a very special place surrounded by nature.  You've done a great job incorporating your plants, they all look healthy and like they're meant to be there.  Thank you for sharing, I always love seeing other people's gardens.  Hope you have an abundant harvest soon.

Janet

I am so very lucky to live on this property which is in the middle of the Los Padres national forest. I don't own it, but who knows... Maybe one day I'll get the chance. It's amazing.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 06:31:26 PM »
Cool pic's Kevin, looks like your putting plants in the ground now very nice. Is your PH low because of Oaks that grew all in that area? Plants are looking great! 8)

Thanks Robert! Yes, I went totally ham this year and put as many things in the ground as would survive. It's the right thing to do for the plants, they had all outgrown even 25g pots or just do best in the soil overall. I even tore out lots of my landlord's succulent garden and replaced it with fruiting plants. I count over 60 fruiting trees / bushes I put in the ground in the last year alone.

I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to buy the property but I will thank myself in the future for doing this if the chance comes up.

Re: acidity. I tested the soil awhile back and it was alkaline. There haven't been any oaks in the planting area(s) shown for a long time. Our well water is 8.4 so I am always always always battling the akalinity. Go through around 60lb of sulphur a year and lots of phosphoric acid for fertigation
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 06:34:32 PM by K-Rimes »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 09:11:21 PM »
 ??? How the heck do you keep the deer from eating everything??
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 09:38:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing--posts of people's gardens are some of my favorites. Beautiful space!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 09:44:03 PM »
??? How the heck do you keep the deer from eating everything??

The mountain lions do an awesome job up here! Unfortunately my neighbors have lost their livestock here and there. When I see deer I chase them off and will also use a deer enforcer sprinkler if they're coming around frequently. We don't have many deer due to drought conditions as well.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 11:48:12 PM »
Beautiful! Your home and garden look in harmony with the natural surroundings, and it will only get better. Would be fun wandering around trying to id everything.

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 08:06:35 AM »
Beautiful is right! Your sabara looks like it should put off lots of fruit. Which paw paws are doing well for you?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 11:48:55 AM »
Beautiful is right! Your sabara looks like it should put off lots of fruit. Which paw paws are doing well for you?

I planted 5 seedlings in the ground, they were from an eBay seller who says he gathered seeds from various areas around the midwest/south but I don't know if that was true or not... I also grafted Mango, Sunflower, and Wilson onto most of them. Mango seems to be doing best for me overall. One of the seedlings I am going to leave mostly as rootstock because it is really aggressive growing. It has outgrown the rest by almost 5x.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 03:00:35 PM »
Looks like a nice place to spend a few hours!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2022, 03:17:43 PM »
Looks like a nice place to spend a few hours!

It certainly is.

Any members are welcome to come visit any time I'm around.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2022, 04:34:34 PM »
Very nice garden! I haven't been up that way in a while. We used to drive through there when I was younger. Always thought I'd find a place to retire there. Thanks for sharing

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »
Beautiful!

Good luck with the Paw Paws though :)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2022, 06:43:00 PM »
Very nice!  I especially like your eugenia container row.  I recently obtained a bunch of eugenias but they are mostly quite small, except for the Pitanga/Surinam Cherries that were the trial run (and now producing heavily)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2022, 07:49:00 PM »
Beautiful!

Good luck with the Paw Paws though :)

Unfortunately I appear to be losing one out of my 5 but oh well, just part of the game. We get plenty of chill hours here so should be fruit-able.

Very nice!  I especially like your eugenia container row.  I recently obtained a bunch of eugenias but they are mostly quite small, except for the Pitanga/Surinam Cherries that were the trial run (and now producing heavily)

Thanks! Those eugenias are starting to produce pretty well now, the CORGS anyways. The pitangas always seem to drop all their flowers in spring and never set, but we get a good fall crop here.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2022, 08:31:13 PM »
I planted a bunch of Paw Paws in the woods behind my house as I read they are native to this area.  I forget where I planted them so I am hoping one day I will walk back there and find them fruiting.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 08:42:11 PM »
Should do great in your zone brian

We have a ~20 year old tree in Michigan that produces more than 100lbs of fruit a year

Only problem is all the damned squirrels

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2022, 08:51:25 PM »

There seems to be a huge fox population here, and so very few squirrels!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2022, 09:36:26 PM »
Should do great in your zone brian

We have a ~20 year old tree in Michigan that produces more than 100lbs of fruit a year

Squirrels in so far have not been a pest for me, I think there are so many acorns from the oaks that they never have an issue. Birds on the other hand, really problematic for me this year. Not getting any fruit unless I net or bag it.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 10:57:28 PM »
That’s a pretty big yard. Looks like you’ve still got plenty of room for more plants!

Simon

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2022, 12:09:49 PM »
What are the temp highs and lows there? How bad is wind? Cool collection

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2022, 12:27:05 PM »
That’s a pretty big yard. Looks like you’ve still got plenty of room for more plants!

Simon

Yes and no. I've used up the best quality spots for sure. There is a sheet of sandstone under most of the property so you have to be selective with where and what you plant. The sun is also a touch difficult with all the oaks, many spaces are very shady. If I owned it, yeah, there'd be at least a full acre more of fruit trees that is currently oak. It is a 2.2 acre plot.