Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Yet another soil thread

(1/13) > >>

Peep:
I try to do my own research but after using lava split/grit last time and this apparently being not the ideal choice for citrus, I wanted to make sure to make a good mix this time. Especially because I'll be repotting 50 or so plants.

What I have around at the moment is:
- Coarse perlite 2 - 6 mm 
- COMPO Bio Potting soil - Extra light (pic: bottom right)
- Pine bark mulch 10 - 25mm (pic: bottom left)
- Coco husk mulch - compressed blocks - (pic: top left)
- 100% Coco potting soil - compressed blocks - (pic: top right)

Pot sizes: 20 - 30 cm
Climate: Belgium
Winter: outdoors (wet)
Summer: hot rooftop
Rootstock: mostly Poncirus, few C4475

For the coco products I hear about a problem with salt. Some say it's fine, some say to rinse it with water, some say to rinse it with certain products... Is it worth the effort or better to use something else...

I'm only in my second year growing citrus so I hope I can get some advice from people with a little more experience :)

Millet:
The wood chips, coarse perlite and potting soil make a good useable 5-1-1 blend.  I have many container trees growing in such a blend, and they are all doing fine.  Also, about a year and a half ago I planted a lime tree in a 20 gallon container using a 50/50 blend of Turface MVP and peat moss.  This blend was first invented by Lazz several years ago..  Over the year and a half that the tree has been growing in it  has been EXCEPTIONAL..  It is a great mix, and has not shown one single problem, not even any  compaction.  It drains just as good now as it did on its first day. I really appreciate  all of i its .benefits.  I would point out over the last year and half, it has not broken down at all.  A great blend that I heartily suggest. Amazing.

nullzero:
I find citrus is not very sensitive to coir mixes, a good citrus rootstock should have decent salt tolerance.

Peep:

--- Quote from: Millet on February 19, 2023, 01:40:34 PM ---The wood chips, coarse perlite and potting soil make a good useable 5-1-1 blend.  I have many container trees growing in such a blend, and they are all doing fine.  Also, about a year and a half ago I planted a lime tree in a 20 gallon container using a 50/50 blend of Turface MVP and peat moss.

--- End quote ---

I wish I could have gotten Turface, but that kind of product I couldn't seem to find unless buying 1m2 of it. Same for pumice. So I ended up with the perlite.

I'm afraid my pine bark mulch is too coarse. I used it in my previous mix and I have the problem that some plants are able to "wiggle" too much, the substrate seems too loose, they are not kept sturdy in their pots. I think maybe the mix is too coarse and it's not able to get in between all the roots when repotting.

This is what I made last time:

9 cups lava (5 cups fine lava 4-8mm and 4 cups coarse 5-15mm)
7 cups light potting soil
6 cups pine bark mulch (10 - 25mm)
1 cup sand

I liked using sand as well, but I'm afraid that it will wash down and not stay homogenous in the soil, does anyone have knowledge about that? I think it might be fine in regular soil, but because it is the goal to have airy soil, it seems the sand might be able to wash downwards.

--- Quote from: nullzero on February 19, 2023, 02:34:24 PM ---I find citrus is not very sensitive to coir mixes, a good citrus rootstock should have decent salt tolerance.

--- End quote ---

I'm reading that it could be fine in smaller amounts, for example 30% coco in the mix, while 50+ percent could cause problems. But it's always guessing how high you can go unless you know how much salt is in the coco.

For example maybe I could do something like this:

25% perlite
35% light potting soil
10% pine bark
10% coco husk
20% coco coir

Still a little bit of pine bark, but not too much because it's coarse, the perlite will also help because it's smaller when compared to the lava I put in my previous soil. And using 30% coco might be fine without going through a whole treatment process. 

EDIT: Also any tips on what the maximum percentage of perlite to use could be? I'm also a bit worried that everything will tip over with a gust of wind :p

pagnr:
Most coir brands should have an analysis, Ec for salinity, cation exchange capacity and K Potassium levels.
Here is an analysis sheet for an Australian brand using Sri Lankan product.
http://www.cocopeat.com.au/technical/productAnalysis/pdf/TechnicalAnalysis2001.pdf

Different grades and different sources will give different readings, and the pre processing quality controls will also determine levels.
Many types are ready to use from the bag, other types will be a component of other mixes so the analysis effect will be diluted by the % coir used in the final mix.
Most pot mixes get leached by pre watering before planting, and compressed dry coir is often wetted up with plenty of water.

Most pot mixes or pot mix ingredients should also have a similar analysis, or a generic one for the component.
ie pine bark will have a typical range of analysis that can be used in place of getting an analysis every time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version