Author Topic: Looking to buy a named cultivar of barbados cherry tree  (Read 463 times)

Homeslice

• Houston, Texas
    • View Profile
Looking to buy a named cultivar of barbados cherry tree
« on: March 25, 2023, 03:23:27 PM »
Hi there.  I want to buy a couple of barbados cherry trees.  I live in Houston, Texas.  I can easily find ones for sale online, but it is much harder finding someone in the U.S. that is selling one of the named cultivars, like "Florida Sweet" or "Manoa Sweet".  Might any know somewhere in the U.S. where I can purchase one of these named cultivars online?  Sweet, rather than tart, cultivars preferred.

Thanks!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to buy a named cultivar of barbados cherry tree
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 03:58:40 PM »
Flying fox fruits has them
flyingfoxfruits.com

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 04:57:52 PM »
His are good too! I had to get one they taste like fruit punch cant go wrong.
Bill

daisyguy

• Gainesville, Florida (North Central Florida)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 11:14:45 PM »
FYI, I have a tissue cultured acerola tree from Agristarts and another that I grew from a 'Florida Sweet' cutting from a reputable seller. I cannot tell a difference. I've seen speculation on this forum before that there may be no difference. Adam made some comment in the past that his Echo Sweet's "flavor is almost identical to the other types we can find commonly in FL". You might not be missing anything at all by getting a cheap tissue culture Acerola. I say this as someone who would be very interested in finding an improved cultivar, as I really like the fruit.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 11:16:52 PM by daisyguy »

Homeslice

• Houston, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 11:50:39 PM »
Thank you Jaboticaba45 and Ognin525!  I got fired up, but I went to flyingfoxfruits.com and searched and searched and am not seeing them.  Are you sure it was that website?  Or maybe he is just out?

Thanks!

Homeslice

• Houston, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 11:55:16 PM »
FYI, I have a tissue cultured acerola tree from Agristarts and another that I grew from a 'Florida Sweet' cutting from a reputable seller. I cannot tell a difference. I've seen speculation on this forum before that there may be no difference. Adam made some comment in the past that his Echo Sweet's "flavor is almost identical to the other types we can find commonly in FL". You might not be missing anything at all by getting a cheap tissue culture Acerola. I say this as someone who would be very interested in finding an improved cultivar, as I really like the fruit.

Thank you daisyguy!  Yea, given that 99% of the sellers that sell them don't list the cultivar, it makes me think it might not be important.  I'm not a cultivar snob, my main concern is that I order one or two, wait for them to grow up and have fruit, then I taste the fruit and I don't like it.  At that point I'm left wondering if it was just a fruit from a bad (from my taste perspective) seed, and if I had gotten a named cultivar that others have confirmed is sweet, good, etc., whether I might in fact have liked it.  Then I have the issue about whether I order more, this time from a named cultivar.  So I'd rather start with a named (sweet) one from the get-go.  But, yea, you are probably right.  :)

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 12:13:42 AM »
He must be out. I got mine last year , he might put some ebay too so youll have to keep an eye out.
Bill