Author Topic: Which is better, Rambutan or Longan?  (Read 2701 times)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Which is better, Rambutan or Longan?
« on: November 13, 2022, 11:24:37 PM »
I've been looking at growing rambutan or longan, which one do people prefer? I see quite a few rambutan in stores but not nearly as many longan
instagram @trumansacco

Amy K

• FL zone 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Which is better, Rambutan or Longan?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 11:31:37 PM »
Longan seem to have poor shelf life so i think that's part of the reason why. I prefer longan since it is easier to eat imo. The meat isn't stuck to the seeds.

Okvid

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 01:25:47 AM »
I think Rambutan is better tasting especially if the rambutans are free stone, however longans are infinitely easier to grow since they aren't as tropical.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 01:36:53 AM »
I was only able to try longan once, and based on that oneexperience I felt it was inferior to both lychee and rambutan. 

I can't decide if I like rambutan or lychee better.  The best lychees I've had were better than the best rambutans I've had, but the imported lychees usually suck while the imported rambutans are usually pretty good.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 01:44:39 AM »
I was only able to try longan once, and based on that oneexperience I felt it was inferior to both lychee and rambutan. 

I can't decide if I like rambutan or lychee better.  The best lychees I've had were better than the best rambutans I've had, but the imported lychees usually suck while the imported rambutans are usually pretty good.

I bought some rambutan today but they are clingstone, still good fruit but I was disappointed at how tough it was to simply eat the fruit compared to lychee pulp. Probably would be way better with freestone. The flavor of it was really really good though! Just like lychee, but with an unmistakable cantaloupe/honeydew flavor. I've never tasted longan but I've seen it a few times, ofcourse now that I want to try it, I can't find it.

I didn't know there were freestone and clingstone until Okvid mentioned it, wonder if there is a taste difference between the varieties
instagram @trumansacco

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 05:07:33 AM »
Longan easily. I hate that hard seed coat in the flesh from rambutan. Makes me feel like ace ventura eating sunflower seeds.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 05:49:50 AM »
All 3 have uniquely different flavors, so comparing the three is really based off personal preference.  Rambutan can vary a lot in flavor and texture from variety to variety. With that said, I will go with lychee , more juicy than a rambutan and the kaimana ones I’ve eaten a lot of are generally sweeter than any rambutans I’ve had.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 08:55:21 AM »
Better question, can Rambuttan grow in Texas? I know here in Florida, unless something changed recently the answer here is a no and I think we are a bit more tropical than TX. We can grow longan and lychee no problem in about half the state.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 09:07:28 AM »
Better question, can Rambuttan grow in Texas? I know here in Florida, unless something changed recently the answer here is a no and I think we are a bit more tropical than TX. We can grow longan and lychee no problem in about half the state.

Check my profile, it's finna grow whether it likes it or not  ;D

in all seriousness though if you have a 20-30% shade setup for summer heat, you can grow just about anything in TX weather as long as you have a way to shelter for winter. Texas is like a big hotbox, constant 70% humidity, and the weather is pretty reliably clear skies and sunny.

Really, the worst thing I've had to deal with so far is wind. Constant gusts mean wind protection is step 1 of every plant I grow
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 09:13:14 AM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 09:38:36 AM »
I had the opportunity to taste about 7 varieties of longan side by side and there are definitely differences in flavor in the varieties.  I loved them, the ones I tasted previously from the asian market were terrible in comparison.

Janet

aaronn

• USA, CA, Napa 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 03:13:20 PM »
I had the opportunity to taste about 7 varieties of longan side by side and there are definitely differences in flavor in the varieties.

Any standout favorite varieties? I’ve never known the names of longans I’ve eaten but have a preference for the stronger flavored longan fruit’s I’ve tried. I’m growing seedlings, hoping to graft, and would love some info regarding which variety scion I should pursue.

aaronn

• USA, CA, Napa 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 03:15:24 PM »
I think rambutan probably tastes better but I have a strong preference for longan because of how it makes me feel. Probably a quirk of my biology, but longan makes me feel really good. I can eat pounds and pounds of it.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 03:24:08 PM »
Having eaten only home grown Logan and imported rambutan, I would say that Longan varies more in quality. The high quality longans (Sri Chompoo being my favorite) are better than the store bought rambutan, but the poor quality longans are
not even close to rambutan. The people who commented about how the flesh sticks to the rambutan seed are spot on.

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 03:34:32 PM »
I feel the need to defend rambutan, ha. We have rambutan trees and, yes, the flesh does stick to the seed. If picked ripe though, it's a non-issue. I'll also add, dried longan is great.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 04:23:31 PM »
Hi Aaron,

Top three were Sakip, Ikeda, and Chu Leon. We liked Dark Eyes better than Kohala, but thought Kohala was good.  We liked Cat's eye longan as well and last place was Fortune Eye. 

Janet

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 04:46:27 PM »
Pulasan is a better fruit

aaronn

• USA, CA, Napa 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2022, 05:04:26 PM »
Top three were Sakip, Ikeda, and Chu Leon.

Thanks Janet!

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2022, 05:19:00 PM »
Pulasan is a better fruit

Hi Aaron,

Top three were Sakip, Ikeda, and Chu Leon. We liked Dark Eyes better than Kohala, but thought Kohala was good.  We liked Cat's eye longan as well and last place was Fortune Eye. 

Janet

Guess I gotta find space for 3 more trees... how do longan and pulasan taste, the same general lychee flavor? Maybe its just the variety I got of rambutan but I expected it to taste really close to lychee, and was thrown off from how much more 'melon' taste I got
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 05:21:35 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2022, 06:27:57 PM »
Cainito, hope I can get Pulasan to fruit in SoCal. 

Tru, I've only tasted Brewster Lychees from Kaz, and thought the longans were similar.  I don't remember all the specifics because it was a few months ago, but they were really sweet, juicy, slightly floral, easy to peel and separate from the seed.  I forget which ones but I think a couple had a crispness to them.  Maybe some people don't want the bother of peeling and removing seeds, but I loved them.  The ones I tried were freshly picked and refrigerated to chill them.  Thankful to the grower for sharing with me.

Janet

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2022, 06:38:07 PM »
Longan has a darker nutty undertone that is not present in lychee. I would say longan has no acidity, just sweet, whereas lychee has some. Some longans have a kind of caramel sort of flavor that I find agreeable. Longan SUCKS if it sits around too long and gets an unpleasant flavor and I didn't understand people liking it till I had it fresh from a tree. Something to note that I have heard in passing is that Longan loves alkaline soil, and lychee like a bit more acidic. I tried lychee several times in my yard and it always died, longan is kicking ass so that makes me believe that. My soil is very alkaline.

For me, I much prefer longan over rambutan. Rambutan is interesting looking, pleasant tasting, but the sticking flesh to skin turns me off.

In order of what I like:

1. Lychee
2. Longan
3. Pulasan
4. Rambutan

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 06:58:44 PM »
Not even a contest rambutan by a country mile

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2022, 08:35:06 PM »
The diamond river longans are pretty good.  I prefer lychee though.  Rambutan seeds suck.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2022, 08:37:32 PM »
Janet, can we trade longan scions?
Brad Spaugh

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2022, 09:12:56 PM »
Ramutan, only if it is the variety that has flesh that does not stick to the seed.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2022, 09:51:02 PM »
Some longan have a flavor that is slightly earthy--like a radish with no bite. It think that is what Americans don't like. The good ones are more like lychee/sapodilla (or lychee/brown sugar).