Author Topic: Avocado - big guns  (Read 3415 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Avocado - big guns
« on: June 22, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »
It's mid winter here now and in the past few weeks I've seen a few big avocados come to local markets. The first was a nice smooth green skinned seedling fruit with a sweet taste. The second was a massive type, dubbed 'butternut' by the seller, but not matching the Californian description of that fruit. The fruits were all over 1kg, some over 1.5kg. My picture fruit was 20cm long and 1.3kg, with perfect fiberless flesh, better than anything else currently available with an enormous amount of flesh! Has anyone seen a similar fruit before, or knows of the 'butternut' variety? It's a cracking fruit!

Are there any other big guns of the avocado world out there?

The chopping board is a foot square and the avo next to it is a smallish Hass.

The second avo is the sweet smooth green skin seedling that an elderly couple sell at the market occasionally. It's another cracker and the average size is 15cm. It is superb in a shake and although slightly watery it is strongly flavored and delicious. I'm hoping to get some grafting material of either or both of these at some stage...

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado - big guns
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »

The second avo is the sweet smooth green skin seedling that an elderly couple sell at the market occasionally. It's another cracker and the average size is 15cm. It is superb in a shake and although slightly watery it is strongly flavored and delicious. I'm hoping to get some grafting material of either or both of these at some stage...

Whoa, watery and delicious in the same sentence? Cali avo bigots... ahem, lovers don't take too kindly to that type of description :-)

I have a "binary" seedling avo much like the one in your second pic. Mine was either cut at the base with a lawn mower or grew out of two seeds that the previous owner of the house planted. Like you I feel it's delicious as does every co-worker I give them to, and one of my local sushi places gives me free sushi when I bring them in!.

I eat them with a spoon and salt or mash them into a guacamole type paste and have it with lunch or dinner, I'll have to try them in a shake... now to find a shake recipe!

Regards,

Gary

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
Wow,Wow, nice find BMc that's one beauty, looks like very nice flesh to pit ratio and creamy can't loose there thanks for post! Great name 8) ;)

nickytwo

• south Africa kwazulu NATAL. ramsgate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Google....avozilla

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
I think a lot of the West Indies-variety avocados match your description, but it also depends on whether the one you have is high in oil content or not (the West Indies ones aren't).  However, there are some Guatemalan varieties (and crosses) that are both large and rich in oil -- Queen comes to mind, and Nabal and Reed are fairly large as well.

In this excellent talk about dozens (maybe a hundred) different avocado varieties, Julie Frink describes the differences and the ancestry -- maybe one matches your avocado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7OAmGRQ8OE

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »
Not a commercial variety, but the "Pura Vida" is a monster sized Avocado.  how does 3 feet sound?

I asked Noris Ledesma about it she said it was of good quality.  she said she would get me some budwood, which I look forward to getting on my next visit.

Carlos has grafted this variety, but his website says the grafts are not doing too well.

http://www.thekitchn.com/avocado-collectors-the-hunt-for-rare-avocados-food-news-181204
There is one they found in a backyard garden in Rivas, Nicaragua called the Pura Vida. The Pura Vida bears gourd-shaped fruits averaging 18 inches in length, with some growing as long as 3 feet.
http://www.myavocadotrees.com/pura-vida-avocado.html
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
awesome, BMc, I was going to post a photo of a big avocado I found the last week in a greengrocery
, but yours are really bigger.

This one weighted 600 gr, and the seed 200gr, but the pulp was very good, as good as Hass I would say:

I will sow and see if we are lucky enought and the plant will produce good fruits too...
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
Supposily Venezuela holds the Guinness World Record. An avocado grown by Gabriel Ramirez Nahim weighed 2.19 kilograms (4.83 pounds).

This Cape Coral man thinks he may have the biggest.

See more at: http://www.cape-coral-daily-breeze.com/page/content.detail/id/536810/Now-that-s-a-big-avocado--Cape-man-believes-he-may-have-grown-a-record-breaker.html?nav=5011#sthash.VzZvV8gF.dpuf

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »

Whoa, watery and delicious in the same sentence? Cali avo bigots... ahem, lovers don't take too kindly to that type of description :-)

"watery and delicious"  =  blastomy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk