Author Topic: Miracle fruit air layer  (Read 1073 times)

jako9403

Miracle fruit air layer
« on: October 26, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
Hey everyone! I started a Miralce fruit air layer a couple of months ago. The layer was for an experiment with small air layers. I opened it today and noticed white root-like clumps around the layer. I suppose they are root buds. I have to get this layer potted soon though! I was wondering if i could add willow water or i could pot it up like a cutting but with a head-start? The branch is about 4-5 mm thick with 12 leaves and it is 12 cm long (with leaves going further!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Miracle fruit air layer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
Miracle fruit layers well for us.  With layering sometimes you get amazing rooting but the rooting can be sparse too.  I figure that if the rooting has begun you should be able to nurse the separated layer along.  But, if what you have is not really rooting but some calyx development at the layer site I don’t think you have any better chance than a simple cutting.
Peter

jako9403

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:07:32 AM »
I definitely think it’s root buds. What would happen if i just left it on the tree? Will it make roots?

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 02:08:25 PM »
If you keep it on the tree for now the roots will continue to develop, which I would recommend until you have some decent roots.  The more developed the roots on the air layer the better chance for survival once separated. 
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:14:38 PM »
If you think that it is just starting to root then leave it for another 2 weeks and check it again.