Author Topic: Anyone have any experience buying Mango trees on EBAY?  (Read 23778 times)

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
Re: Anyone have any experience buying Mango trees on EBAY?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »
oh no, I don't chop down my trees.. never have.. haha, it's costly too to do that.. I just keep adding to my pile of trees.. even the other post I have of the longan.. I believe to have a good representation of a tree, you need at least 10 years.. the fruits from the first few years aren't that good anyway compared to what you can get later on.. just have patience in growing (like I did with the longan in the other post) and you can be rewarded.. and the reward tastes much better because you actually put a lot of effort into growing the tree, instead of buying one that's 50 gallons or so to start with (if you are not a nursery , of course)..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:02:51 PM by michsu »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »
oh no, I don't chop down my trees.. never have.. haha, it's costly too to do that.. I just keep adding to my pile of trees.. even the other post I have of the longan.. I believe to have a good representation of a tree, you need at least 10 years.. the fruits from the first few years aren't that good anyway compared to what you can get later on.. just have patience in growing (like I did with the longan in the other post) and you can be rewarded.. and the reward tastes much better because you actually put a lot of effort into growing the tree, instead of buying one that's 50 gallons or so to start with (if you are not a nursery , of course)..

Then if you think you would like a mango with the flavor profile I described for the pineapple pleasure, than go for it.
- Rob

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 01:32:47 PM »
no, haha.. I have Lemon Zest and Coconut Cream to keep me busy.. I want to have a variety of different plants, instead of having 15 or 20 of the same kind.. it's also due to the lack of space I have too of course.. but I rather have plants that have fruits throughout the whole year (or different parts like persimmon, cherimoyas, guavas)..  ;D of course I can't compare to you guys, but it's all for the fun of growing..

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 02:03:29 PM »
So Michsu - I'll guess how much your 5 trees will cost to ship:

$500!

Gary

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 02:12:25 PM »
since I bought a few already, she gives me a big discount over the general prices that she's asking..

Here's my latest purchase (I told her to ship in later May because my wife is having another baby - tradition of not "disturbing the soil" during pregnancy)

7 gallon Coconut Cream
7 gallon Lemon Zest
7 gallon Sweetheart Lychee
7 gallon Jaboticaba
3 gallon Thousand Island Banana

anyone take a guess as to how much including shipping?  ;D

I guess you got over dumpster diving LOL

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
Left - 7 gallon Coconut Cream (I killed mine just recently - the inside trunk turned black and the trunk/leaves started to shrivel - I think I watered that particular plant too much - all other plants are ok)
Right - 7 gallon Lemon Zest

I had to copy/paste from the pictures she sent me.. for me, the pictures usually what is received in the package, except of course for leaves that fall out.. but that's not her problem.. sometimes the package stays an extra day or so in delivery time.. none of the plants I have ordered from her (which is most of what I have) have died due to delivery problems  ;D.. I'm responsible for all the killing (like above)  :P

It's left plant is the one you have right now , or just a pic she sent to you ?

Cause that the same pic she sent to me for the Maha Chanok 7 gal plant

Lol
:)

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
6 trees actually.. $526.. so that's not bad.. also forgot to throw in a 7 gallon Kari too..

so $526 for the following
================
1) 7g Coconut Cream
2) 7g Lemon Zest
3) 7g Jaboticaba
4) 7g Kari Starfruit
5) 3g Thousand Island Banana
6) 7g Sweetheart Lychee

hey JF, yeah, I actually bought a lot this year (and will buy a few more too) because life it too short.. I learned that over a year's time, a lot has happened to her and my side of the family.. our parents getting sick (her mom had cancer, her dad had a major stroke in December, my parents aren't feeling too good either.. my dad had a mini stroke too last year).. I was planning on buying some more trees next year, but figure that I want to grow as much for my wife (and family) as I possibly can.. let them try all the new stuff that's out there in the world.. I may not have all the species/varieties, but at least they got to taste things like a jaboticaba, rollinia, sugar apple.. that's my goal.. not to compete with others, but just to compete against time..  ;D but I want to grow it myself.. buying it in the store or buying it from you isn't the same.. she will know that I put in my effort and patience to grow everything..  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:00:33 PM by michsu »

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 02:58:27 PM »
I think she is just letting you know about how big the tree size is.. My guess is the trees I would receive would be about 5 ft tall.. from my original post about her, my sugar apple was about 6 ft tall when I received it.. yes, it doesn't look like the pictures with all the leaves.. but that's what you get for ordering online.. the leaves will fall off anyway during transit.. they will just regrow in a month or two..  ;D

Left - 7 gallon Coconut Cream (I killed mine just recently - the inside trunk turned black and the trunk/leaves started to shrivel - I think I watered that particular plant too much - all other plants are ok)
Right - 7 gallon Lemon Zest

I had to copy/paste from the pictures she sent me.. for me, the pictures usually what is received in the package, except of course for leaves that fall out.. but that's not her problem.. sometimes the package stays an extra day or so in delivery time.. none of the plants I have ordered from her (which is most of what I have) have died due to delivery problems  ;D.. I'm responsible for all the killing (like above)  :P

It's left plant is the one you have right now , or just a pic she sent to you ?

Cause that the same pic she sent to me for the Maha Chanok 7 gal plant

Lol
:)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
6 trees actually.. $526.. so that's not bad.. also forgot to throw in a 7 gallon Kari too..

================
1) 7g Coconut Cream
2) 7g Lemon Zest
3) 7g Jaboticaba
4) 7g Kari Starfruit
6) 7g Sweetheart Lychee

hey JF, yeah, I actually bought a lot this year (and will buy a few more too) because life it too short.. I learned that over a year's time, a lot has happened to her and my side of the family.. our parents getting sick (her mom had cancer, her dad had a major stroke in December, my parents aren't feeling too good either.. my dad had a mini stroke too last year).. I was planning on buying some more trees next year, but figure that I want to grow as much for my wife (and family) as I possibly can.. let them try all the new stuff that's out there in the world.. I may not have all the species/varieties, but at least they got to taste things like a jaboticaba, rollinia, sugar apple.. that's my goal.. not to compete with others, but just to compete against time..  ;D but I want to grow it myself.. buying it in the store or buying it from you isn't the same.. she will know that I put in my effort and patience to grow everything..  :)
You are good sport.....you have a fast growing collection. Yes, our parents are getting old and it's very painful seing them suffer. Good luck to you and keep us posted with the progress of your trees

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
so pineapple pleasure is not that great?  :o oh well, I'll have a few new plants to deal with this time so I can't worry about that..  ;D

Do not look for instant rewards from a 3 or 7 gal plant and do not judge them after being in the ground for only 2-4 years.  Its just not sufficient time for most varieties.  Also, the fruit quality from most young mangoes is subpar and not representative of the variety.
I disagree, if the fruit sucks after 4 years in ground, the tree is not ever going to get much better fruit, especially if starting with 7 gal tree. Also, fruit quality should be good from a grafted tree if there are sufficient roots to hold fruit. Perhaps may be a bit bland at first from a 3 gal tree, but a 7 gal that is in then ground for 2 years...oh yeah, if the fruit sucks, it's not going to get significantly better.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »

================
1) 7g Coconut Cream
2) 7g Lemon Zest
3) 7g Jaboticaba
4) 7g Kari Starfruit
6) 7g Sweetheart Lychee

You are good sport.....you have a fast growing collection. Yes, our parents are getting old and it's very painful seing them suffer. Good luck to you and keep us posted with the progress of your trees
Hmmm all the posts about send your trees to me for free, I'll take that fruit for free, " just ship it me in CA even though you don't ship to CA" , 10 pounds of Cherimoya for $5 , everything costs too much except a $500 plant order from a questionable seller while questioning the legitimate vendors on this site. I don't know , i think you JF and others are more the good sport for the somewhat tempered responses.

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
Thanks JF  ;D.. yeah, I'm trying.. haha, I know I don't have as much as you "experts", but I'll put in effort to try my best..

I don't quite understand your statement.. are we good or bad?  ??? You have been reading and knowing all about my posts, so it must be fun entertainment for you.. ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:23:06 PM by michsu »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 02:15:08 PM »
This eBay seller has stolen my pix of a coworker's Ataulfo tree and label it MaHa Chanok
http://m.ebay.com/sch/tropicaltreasure-us/m.html?_pgn=2

Beware!!

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
This eBay seller has stolen my pix of a coworker's Ataulfo tree and label it MaHa Chanok

Beware!!

The link doesn't point to which specific pic they stole. Did they rip off the pic of the fruiting tree or of the actual young trees supposedly being sold? There are 3 photos in both a 3 and 7 gallon. Sucks either way but if it's the latter, I'll be even more worried as I just ordered something from them.  :-\

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 02:47:13 PM »

Beware!!

The link doesn't point to which specific pic they stole. Did they rip off the pic of the fruiting tree or of the actual young trees supposedly being sold? There are 3 photos in both a 3 and 7 gallon. Sucks either way but if it's the latter, I'll be even more worried as I just ordered something from them.  :-\
There is no need for a Florida based nursery to misrepresent a mango variety with a pic from California. Scroll down to Maha Chanok and the picture you see is of a California ataulfo tree. I was informed about this fraud by a forum member who recognize my picture

Lknudson1

• ft myers fl
    • View Profile
Posting Pictures/Ebay
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 04:19:43 PM »
The pictures that are posted of the trees I have for sale on Ebay are the actual pictures of the plants I have in my nursery, they
are not taken from other people trees.  The first pictures in the listing is a generic  pictures that could be mine or taken off from the
internet of the mango.  The pictures taken from the internet are not stolen as the ones I do use are not trademarked.  When possible
I will take pictures of our own fruits.

We do try our best to send on pictures when requested.  However we can have many varieties of one plant and an not take pictures of
every plant we have in our nursery for sale.  Most of the plants we take pictures of to our customers we have many that are very
similar to each other and we then chose one instead of taking pictures of 20 different plants that really look the same.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Posting Pictures/Ebay
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »
Glad to see you here

That tell that you ar legit and take care of our concerns

The pictures that are posted of the trees I have for sale on Ebay are the actual pictures of the plants I have in my nursery, they
are not taken from other people trees.  The first pictures in the listing is a generic  pictures that could be mine or taken off from the
internet of the mango.  The pictures taken from the internet are not stolen as the ones I do use are not trademarked.  When possible

We do try our best to send on pictures when requested.  However we can have many varieties of one plant and an not take pictures of
every plant we have in our nursery for sale.  Most of the plants we take pictures of to our customers we have many that are very
similar to each other and we then chose one instead of taking pictures of 20 different plants that really look the same.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2015, 05:07:36 PM »

I'm also glad you are here. I am asking you to remove my pictures  from your listed maha Chanok in your eBay page, I did not authorize it. You have until today or I will pull my old thread in the forum search and prove it was not taken by your nursery

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »
The pictures that are posted of the trees I have for sale on Ebay are the actual pictures of the plants I have in my nursery, they are not taken from other people trees.  The first pictures in the listing is a generic  pictures that could be mine or taken off from the internet of the mango.  The pictures taken from the internet are not stolen as the ones I do use are not trademarked.  When possible I will take pictures of our own fruits.

We do try our best to send on pictures when requested.  However we can have many varieties of one plant and an not take pictures of every plant we have in our nursery for sale.  Most of the plants we take pictures of to our customers we have many that are very similar to each other and we then chose one instead of taking pictures of 20 different plants that really look the same.

I think you better rethink what you said.  You can just take other pictures from the internet. Without their authorization,  and use them as yours cause youdont think gthey are trademarked or hallmarked.
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
The place that you upload the picture to matters as well (some places like facebook, google, and free upload picture sites have disclaimers that can use the pic without your permission for certain uses). I heard Flickr has good protection for the creator of the photograph.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 07:25:38 PM »
The pictures that are posted of the trees I have for sale on Ebay are the actual pictures of the plants I have in my nursery, they are not taken from other people trees.  The first pictures in the listing is a generic  pictures that could be mine or taken off from the internet of the mango.  The pictures taken from the internet are not stolen as the ones I do use are not trademarked.  When possible I will take pictures of our own fruits.

We do try our best to send on pictures when requested.  However we can have many varieties of one plant and an not take pictures of every plant we have in our nursery for sale.  Most of the plants we take pictures of to our customers we have many that are very similar to each other and we then chose one instead of taking pictures of 20 different plants that really look the same.

I think you better rethink what you said.  You can just take other pictures from the internet. Without their authorization,  and use them as yours cause youdont think gthey are trademarked or hallmarked.

If the Images have not been copyrighted, or the creator of them has not taken steps to copyright them, then yes, the images in question can be used without incurring penalties irrespective of the fact that the rule of thumb is that whoever created the images essentially owns them owing to the principle of fair use, which is extremely complicated.There are some high profile precedents in which professional photographers have sued various organizations for having profited from their photographs, however that is not the kind of thing that would lend weight to an infringement claim because in the case of the image of the mango tree, the intellectual property is a modicum of enterprise, not the primary commodity of sale.

Unless it's nude pictures of you straddling a duck or whatever, in which case you're protected by DMCA privacy exceptions, there's not going to be a lot you can do about it without holding copyright.

I recommend reading the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act). The long and short of it is,  if you want to be absolutely sure your images are protected, you need to have registered your image with some copyright Authority or other in order to claim copyright infringement and these need to bear that watermark. You should also timestamp them ( as the date of copyright). This because of, again, the mechanism of fair use, and additionally  there are subversive ways of relegating images into the public domain; time is being of those ways.

Look at Oscar's Images of his fruit--that's how it should be done. If theoretically I used on of Oscar's images without permission, he would be within his right to sue me (after I failed to comply with a C&D).  This would be expensive (suing people just is) but yes--if it went before a magistrate, it would go his way. Definitely; especially if I tried something greasy like removing the copyright symbol and timestamp, in which case he could  slap me in the face with the spoliation bat to boot.

If you need to use a photograph of something and don't have one, try doing a Public Domain Search. By doing this you're covering yourself and aren't running the risk of pissing anybody off.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-free-websites-public-domain-images-free-stock-photos/

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:48:21 PM by starling1 »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 08:05:20 PM »
The pictures that are posted of the trees I have for sale on Ebay are the actual pictures of the plants I have in my nursery

That is a boldface lie and i can prove that quite easily. This nursery is digging themselves into a hole. They cover one lie with another.....their credibility is Shot. I am the creator of this image and I did not authorize them to use it for their profit.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:11:22 PM by JF »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »

Hi ebayseller, Welcome to the forum!

You are worldfamous allready by selling on ebay and you have great ratings as a seller. 97% happy customers is something to be proud of!

Don't let them drive you crazy here, and  the mahachanok mango came from Asia. ;D

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 08:08:36 PM »
The pictures that are posted of the trees I have for sale on Ebay are the actual pictures of the plants I have in my nursery

That is a boldface lie and i can prove that quite easily. This nursery is digging themselves into a hole. They cover one lie with another.....their credibility is Shot. I am the creator of this image and I did not authorize them to use it for their profit.

your leafylife.com website also has a lie on it, i warned you before and you didn't change it.

Maha Chinok is the name of a beautiful new mango variety out of Florida –  It's from ASIA!

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »

JF, if you feel that strongly about it, send the seller and cease and desist. But irrespective of the fact that they may or may not be using your image without permission (I don't know) this isn't a reflection on the quality of their trees or their business practice. Using non-copyrighted images without consent is as common as potato chips; it's not especially heinous  and most people when doing it naturally think that the creator isn't especially interested in who uses their image because they haven't gone through the process of copyright. It's not an unreasonable conclusion to come to. Again, the seller is only profiting off the image if he is selling the image, and he is not. I understand it's disrespectful, but it's par for the course.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:19:36 PM by starling1 »