Author Topic: Some questions regarding general health of Jackfruit  (Read 1614 times)

sparkletts05

• Zone 10B, San Gabriel Valley, Southern California
    • View Profile
Some questions regarding general health of Jackfruit
« on: April 04, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
Hey everyone, just had some questions about my Jackfruit tree that I hope you guys can answer. Before I ask them, I should probably provide some background information ;):

-Sprouted in September
-Transplanted to a 3 gallon container in December
-Used Fox Farms Ocean Forest Potting Soil
-Added a tiny amount (4-5 pellets) of Osmocote Plus (NPK of 15/9/12) in January
-Water once or twice a week depending on the weather
-Spray once or twice a week, the undersides of the leaves with a spray bottle to combat spider mites

Some pictures:

My first question would be regarding fertilization. The directions on the bottle of Osmocote says to add about 1 capful per 2 gallons, but I didn't want to go overboard on that having recently transplanted it in December. It's April now, so should I go ahead and add a capful (or close to it?) On a related note, I suppose I could ask the same question for my mango tree which I recently transplanted about 2 weeks ago into a 3.5 gallon container.

My next few questions have to do with some things I've noticed on the leaves of the Jackfruit. I'm assuming, in all likelihood, that these are just general wear and tear that every plant goes through, but with the ever-looming threat of spider mites, I've erred on the side of caution here. So, first of all, I've noticed these small holes on some of the leaves and were curious to as to what they were. I'm assuming slight sunburn damage? Here's a picture:

New leaf kind of shows it as well:

Some of the leaves have specks of yellow on them-am I right to assume that these are spider mite related?

And my last question: I've noticed some curling at times on some of the leaves, especially if it's been a little windy. Is there anything that can be done to remedy that or is it just an aesthetic issue?

Once again, thank you for all your help, everyone! :)
J

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions regarding general health of Jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »
Is this outside, under direct sun?

What are you spraying with?  And why so often?

Why are you using a slow release product (osmocote)?
- Rob

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
it doesnt look too bad to me.
Jackfruit do grow fast when young, so, they do require some nutrients.
the potting soil seems to have lots of goodies, but, i would put it in full sun if its not
although, acclimate it over a period of days.
it has some new growth, so i would give it a tad more nutrients.
Is the soil moist ?

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »
I thought california wasn't humid enough for jackfruit?

sparkletts05

• Zone 10B, San Gabriel Valley, Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »
Bsbullie, yes it is under direct sunlight outdoors. I took it inside at night when it was a bit chillier in the winter, but I don't think I'll have to worry about that too much now :) I just spray it with plain water to keep spider mites at bay. Am I not supposed to use a slow-release product? :( Osmocote was recommended to me a long time ago as a general purpose fertilizer and it has worked well for a variety of my plants. I'm definitely open to suggestions though in terms of what products to use!

Greenman, yes the new growth has been nice to see, especially after a dormant period in the winter. I water it once or twice a week depending on the weather and generally try not to keep the soil water-logged as to prevent root rot.

Das Bhut, I was skeptical as well at first, but when I noticed that a seed embedded in the packaged jackfruit itself had already sprouted, I decided to give it a try and now here we are! :)
J

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk