Author Topic: Sia Thong Mango  (Read 2962 times)

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Sia Thong Mango
« on: April 04, 2015, 05:22:17 PM »
I just bought a mango tree labeled as Sia Thong from Excalibur. Is this a Nam Doc Mai variety known as Nam Doc Mai Siatong?
RichardN

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Sia Thong Mango
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »
The fruit looks just like a yellow Nam Doc Mai#4 only bigger with more flesh. The flavor is like NDM but less sweet.
RichardN

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
The fruit looks just like a yellow Nam Doc Mai#4 only bigger with more flesh. The flavor is like NDM but less sweet.

It is a large NDM  with a more yellow coloration.   The taste is basically the same,  it is not less sweet.
- Rob

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 09:57:18 PM »
Found a thread discussing various Thai mango names with some good pictures and English translation. A Nam Doc Mai with a golden color, sounds like a winner to me.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2193024/thai-mango-varieties     

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »
I wasn't 100% sure at first. Thank you all for confirming this variety. The NDM Sia Thong mango I tasted wasn't that sweet like the NDM#4. I will definitely try it again this year to see if it has the same taste and flavor as NDM#4. Bought two trees and can't wait till it bear fruit.
RichardN

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »
I wasn't 100% sure at first. Thank you all for confirming this variety. The NDM Sia Thong mango I tasted wasn't that sweet like the NDM#4. I will definitely try it again this year to see if it has the same taste and flavor as NDM#4. Bought two trees and can't wait till it bear fruit.

Where did you get the "NDM#4" that you tasted and where did you get the Sia Thong?  There are many variables that can effect the taste.
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 10:17:17 AM »
In Thailand we have:

ndm- si keo = green
ndm- si thong = gold
ndm- mun = green, big, crispy and eaten green (unripe)

ndm- si daeng = red and a new variety.

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »

[Where did you get the "NDM#4" that you tasted and where did you get the Sia Thong?  There are many variables that can effect the taste.]

I bought 4 NDM#4 trees from Zill, 2 NDM#4 trees from Pine Island, 4 NDM#4 and 2 Sia Thong trees from Excalibur. I stop by last year to purchase more trees and saw the Sia Thong mango on the counter for sale. For a second I taught it was a large NDM then I ask Linda. The NDM trees from Excalibur in my back yard fruited very heavy last year. That's when I did the side-by-side comparison and taste test. My first taste for the Sia Thong mango. Believe me it is good with all the characteristic and taste of a NDM.  The Sia Thong is much bigger with dark yellow to light orange in skin color. The NDM#4 is smaller yellow with slight hint of green skin color. The flesh on the NDM#4 is more orange then the Sia Thong close in color to the flesh of my Maha Chanok.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:49:54 PM by RichardN »
RichardN

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
I am not sure the the NDM from Excalibur is the #4.  I also think if you do a true side by side test of both being picked at a more optimal stage, you wont find much of a difference.
- Rob

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »
I am not sure the the NDM from Excalibur is the #4.  I also think if you do a true side by side test of both being picked at a more optimal stage, you wont find much of a difference.

I will have to try it again this year. What type of NDM from Excalibur do you think it might be?
RichardN