Author Topic: Troubleshoot Wax Jambu and Sapodilla  (Read 1505 times)

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
Troubleshoot Wax Jambu and Sapodilla
« on: November 16, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »
Hello everyone, I plant those two trees 1 week ago.  The Wax Jambu was not water for a whole week prior to planting and the rootstock base was dried when I plant it.  Some of the leaves had already started to turn color/brownish and now it is like what you saw in the pic.  Is this plant gone?

The sapodilla, I think is okay.  I am just curious about the discoloring and spots of the leaves.

Would appreciates any feedback you guys have.

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Troubleshoot Wax Jambu and Sapodilla
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »
The saps look fine, mine also get spots and the occasional sunburned leaves but fruits just fine.  Your wax jambu looks terrible. My black pearl likes well draining sandy soil but with some organic matter added. Personally if you just put it in I'd take it right back out and nurse it back to health in a pot you can bring indoors if it gets cold this winter. It looks too stressed to me to survive the coming cold unprotected. Maybe others here with more experience might have advise on recuperating it where it is in the ground in the few weeks we have before it gets really cold. You can always put it back in the ground next year when it's looking healthy and the weather is milder.

"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »
The Jambu is not yet gone, but its well on its way.
Never plant a dried out rootball. If they do dry out prior to planting make sure you put them in a bucket of water with a wetting agent and liquid seaweed or other root tonic, until the root ball is well wet before planting. The rootball can easily turn hydrophobic if you plant it after drying out.
Ordinary Jambu are tough though, and as long as the stems are green there is a high percentage chance that it will come back just fine.

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:55:55 AM »
Thank you for the information and advices.  I think instead of pulling it out, I will leave it in the ground and put frost cover over it for the winter.  I don't expect major cold this winter because of El Nino - or is my thinking off on this one - would it be more colder because of El Nino.  I am a little torn, half want to pull it out and see and half want to leave it in.  the stems and branches still look good.  I going to wait till this weekend and re-evaluate, hope it not too late then.   Do you is advisable in this instance to water the Jambu once every day?  I have been watering once every two days.