Author Topic: What Month Do You Harvest Your Mango/Banana/Avocado/Peach/Lychee/Jackfruit/...?  (Read 1591 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I realized that each year we discuss what time of year we each get fruit harvests in our own gardens, but that information gets lost.  Seeing Jeff's thread, I realized it'd be great to collect all that knowledge to be able to see what harvest is happening in different places around the world.

So, I've put together a survey to try to collect that information, for those of you who'd like to participate.

Here's the survey -- feel free to pop on over there and share as much or as little as you'd like:

http://goo.gl/forms/UKsYRubQLpciqOhX2

Basically you just type in for a given month which fruits you're harvesting then.  For example, if in May you can harvest Lemon Zest Mangoes and Mysore Bananas, in the entry for "May Harvest" below you would type (one per line, so hit enter after each):

Mango, Lemon Zest
Banana, Mysore

If you can harvest some specific fruit in more than one month, include it multiple times, in each month that's appropriate.

After we get some submissions, I'll put together a website compiling all the data to show all the wonderful fruit harvests folks are getting all over the world at different times of the year.  Maybe if we get enough submissions I can even have the website provide suggestions if you are looking to add new varieties to your collection.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:54:48 AM by barath »

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
Hi Barath, great idea, however i tried posting but could not make it work might be my old old computer or me or there needs to be a start button with a flashing green light , how do you get started????      Patrick

barath

• View Profile
Hi Barath, great idea, however i tried posting but could not make it work might be my old old computer or me or there needs to be a start button with a flashing green light , how do you get started????      Patrick

Hmm, I hope the form is working for everyone.  Basically underneath each question there's a line that says "Your Answer" -- you should be able to click on that and type in your answer.  For the harvest questions you can hit enter and it will let you type multiple lines (one per fruit).  Once you finish, you should be able to hit the blue button at the bottom and it will save your responses.

Here's the direct link to the survey in case the shortened link above isn't working:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15J_4WFeaSlbJ8S0K90AxaKMFmlBQfQKm4BwMRB4Ta8k/viewform
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:06:28 AM by barath »

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
Good idea! Maybe you should add zone to the questions so you can easily sort.

barath

• View Profile
Good idea! Maybe you should add zone to the questions so you can easily sort.
Thanks!
I wanted to keep it simple for folks -- what I'm going to do is automatically grab USDA zone and other climate data based on the city when I process the survey results.  But if you want to include that info because you are in a microclimate, you can use the "more specific location/microclimate" box to answer that.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:12:18 AM by barath »

barath

• View Profile
Thanks to all those who have filled out the survey.

I'd especially love more respondents outside of the U.S. -- there are lots of interesting climates that I'm hoping we can cover in the database.

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
ok i figured it out

Stan

Suebelle White Sapote would be every month. At least one usually, in the worst month. Baileys Mango in September.  I still cant figure how the Fremont Mango would have perfect looking fruit in January. That's more amazing then it looking like a tree.