Author Topic: Tropical fruit trees flowering/fruiting arround my town  (Read 1999 times)

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
Tropical fruit trees flowering/fruiting arround my town
« on: July 03, 2016, 08:33:56 PM »
These last days I've been noticing a few tropical trees in bloom or already fruiting in some public gardens, arround Funchal, so I decided to show what we are able to eat for free when walking in Funchal Downtown.

Syzygium malaccense

Syzygium jambos

Eugenia aggregata

Eugenia brasiliensis Ssp. leucocarpus

Acca sellowiana

Tamarindus indica

Macadamia integrifolia

Artocarpus heterophylus

Musa velutina

Butia capitata

Aleurites molucana

Phytolacca dioica

Carissa macrocarpa

Cocos nucífera

Garcinia xanthochymus

This last one, I'm not pretty sure of it's ID, as it has a label on the trunk saying it is a Garcinia xanthochymus, but the fruit of this species, is suposed to be very acidic and have no/very low sweetness, but the fruits in the last two images (that were found among all the green ones by my 4 year old daughter), had a certain ammount of acidity in the exterior rind, but yet still pleasant to eat, and the inner flesh arround the seeds, had almost no acidity, and was, very frangrant, and with a strong papaya taste, and some reminiscences of mango... Can someone comment on personal experiences with this fruit? Has anyone experienced something close to that in taste? I wonder if it's not another Garcinia species...
The fruit in the last image was 132,5gr.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Tropical fruit trees flowering/fruiting arround my town
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
I think that there is variation and confusion with these garcinias.  It could very well be xanthochymus.  There is a similar tree id'd as such in a formal collection in my region.  I have a g. Dulcis that is a lot like this too.  In both cases the pulp, like you described, is sweeter around the seeds than closer to the skin.  People make a jam with this fruit that is quite tasty.  That the fruit is low acid sounds lucky to me as my experience is that these two garcinias are generally very tart.
That's a nice selection of fruits for foraging there!
Peter

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »
WOW! That garcinia looks great!  :P

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »
The Garcinia xanthochymus I ate at the Fruit and Spice park definitely had a tart flavor to it but there was enough sweetness that I continued eating them out of hand, probably about 10. I didn't notice the difference from the skin to the seed but that was probably because I was eating them like an animal surrounded by a bunch of really rare fruit trees so I was in sensory overload. I really enjoy the fruit and there are probably some really great health benefits as well.
-Josh

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 06:59:26 PM »
Thanks everybody for your comments.

That the fruit is low acid sounds lucky to me as my experience is that these two garcinias are generally very tart.
Peter

That's what's confusing me, because I always heard that they were quite tart, but the fruits from this tree are not that much.

WOW! That garcinia looks great!  :P

And it actualy is! And this year it is loaded with hundreds of fruit.

The Garcinia xanthochymus I ate at the Fruit and Spice park definitely had a tart flavor to it but there was enough sweetness that I continued eating them out of hand, probably about 10. I didn't notice the difference from the skin to the seed but that was probably because I was eating them like an animal surrounded by a bunch of really rare fruit trees so I was in sensory overload. I really enjoy the fruit and there are probably some really great health benefits as well.

This one has o very diferent flavor from the rind to the inner part!
It apparently has some weight loss benefits, like some other garcinias.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 07:15:17 PM »
Great photos -- looks like a wonderful climate for both people and fruits.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »
Great photos -- looks like a wonderful climate for both people and fruits.

Thank you!
It actualy is, but from time to time, we have some temperature drops, that complicate things a bit, specialy with young plants. But once they're established, it is kind of Paradise for them...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk