Author Topic: I Got a Valencia Pride Mango!  (Read 3001 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
I Got a Valencia Pride Mango!
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:46:07 PM »
Will I regret my descision?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: I Got a Valencia Pride Mango!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »
You're in socal, where mangoes grow at snail speed compared to FL. A vigorous tree could be a good thing there.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
Will I regret my descision?

If its on Florida rootstock,  you may want to reach out to Frank (JF) or Simon (Simon_grow) regarding getting the tree onto Manilla or Ataulfo rootstock.   This is the preferred rootstock for growing in SoCal.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:01:22 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 12:23:44 AM »
My friends Valencia Pride on Florida rootstock just died.

My other friend that just joined the forum posted a picture of his Tebow mango on Florida rootstock and the original graft completely died back to the rootstock.

Manilla or Ataulfo rootstock will be best. You can learn to graft by watching YouTube or you can join the California Rare Fruit Growers(CRFG). Jim Neitzel gave a demonstration on grafting mango and I gave a demonstration on Double Stone Grafting at the last meeting.

Some people report good to excellent growth for vigorous varieties on Florida Turpentine rootstock but the droopiness is still there. I highly recommend you graft onto the rootstock mentioned above so you don't waste your time. I wish someone warned me when I first started growing mango.

Simon

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 12:26:01 AM »
The thing is, it doesn't seem to be droopy at all, Though my Pickering Mango is.....

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 12:27:35 AM »
Wait, never mind.

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 12:32:52 AM »
My Valencia Pride on Florida rootstock grew like a snail too, but still alive. I'm not looking forward as a producer but more like an ornamental tree. I built a 6'x12'  garden bed next to it. LOL

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »
...and just to make it more confusing - my Valencia Pride from Florida (planted 4 years ago) is about 12 feet high and 8 feet wide and holding fruit....
perhaps my desert climate is more compatible to the assumed turpentine rootstock???  Or it's the heat...or it's in the perfect spot (microclimate)
...... or pure LUCK?????

Gary

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »
...and just to make it more confusing - my Valencia Pride from Florida (planted 4 years ago) is about 12 feet high and 8 feet wide and holding fruit....
perhaps my desert climate is more compatible to the assumed turpentine rootstock???  Or it's the heat...or it's in the perfect spot (microclimate)
...... or pure LUCK?????

Gary

or might be the watering schedule that it received -- if I remember it right, Gary watered his mangoes daily over 20 minutes. I imagine if water usage is not an issue then if we just turn on the sprinklers during the hot summer and this should create almost tropic like condition.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 03:00:32 PM »
Gary's sandy soil and climate plays a big part but we get the same growth rate as Gary with amended soil and the correct rootstock

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
...... or pure LUCK?????

Gary

or might be the watering schedule that it received -- if I remember it right, Gary watered his mangoes daily over 20 minutes. I imagine if water usage is not an issue then if we just turn on the sprinklers during the hot summer and this should create almost tropic like condition.

I would say soil and climate are the biggest factors, not the amount of water they are getting.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk