Author Topic: Questions about Santol  (Read 5889 times)

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
Questions about Santol
« on: November 16, 2016, 07:21:15 AM »
I got myself interested in this fruit tree, so, solved to do a few questions to the experts. :)
I read in some places it is monoic, in others that it is dioic... I need just one tree or at least two?
I also read the entire fruit can be eaten, seeds included. But some places says the seeds aren´t edible.
I know it is a BIG tree, but there are a few persons that says it can be kept and also that can produce fruits in containers, other say it isn´t possible.

What is your experience with this fruit tree?

Cassio

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Santol
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
Hi Cassio,

I have a monoic santol, and I have other dioic types, they are with lots of flowers now, I'm  doing seedlings.

This monoic, has a similar flavor to the bacupari, a little sweeter.

The tree in the ground grows wildly fast!

Here it takes 9 years for the first fruits, and now they bear fruit regularly !.

Then I'll give you more information on PM.

I got myself interested in this fruit tree, so, solved to do a few questions to the experts. :)
I read in some places it is monoic, in others that it is dioic... I need just one tree or at least two?
I also read the entire fruit can be eaten, seeds included. But some places says the seeds aren´t edible.
I know it is a BIG tree, but there are a few persons that says it can be kept and also that can produce fruits in containers, other say it isn´t possible.

Cassio
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

lisar

• Saint James City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 08:17:58 AM »
I don't think the seeds are technically edible. I've read they have insecticidal properties.  I don't believe there is any digestion and seeds pass through.  They have an incredibly hard shell. The size of the seeds is maybe where the edibility comes into question? The smaller native santol seed is much smaller than the Bangkok seed and I read people eat and pass them. Bangkok santol seed would be like swallowing the end of a fork  :P

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »

Cassio
I found this you tube video of how someone else eats the santol and some other names for it. The comment section is very interesting with different people sharing their opinions of how they eat it. One person said cook the part that the person in the video ate and eat the pulp around the seeds. Another different person said thinly peel it and start eating the part he ate by sprinkling salt. They said eat it like a green apple. Interesting video & in formation from people other than myself  that I thought you, Cassio, and others might find interesting @ :     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of3Vw4m7UHs        Title is........... Tasting a Santol Fruit | Sandoricum koetjape | HD   if you just want to google it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:08:33 AM by palmcity »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 04:11:11 PM »
All santols are monoecious. But many trees are self sterile. I found that to be the case here with trees planted on their own that never fruit, or that fruit very poorly. So if you want good fruit set best to plant at least 2 trees. Don't think they would fruit in a pot, unless you use a really giant pot. Never heard of the seeds being eaten but have heard from Phillippine people here that they cook the whole fruit and eat the rind. But i've never tried that.
Oscar

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 04:54:44 PM »
I probably wrote this in a previous topic, but basically peel the skin with a paring knife, and start slicing off the outer rind, dip in sea salt and eat. It's eaten like a green mango, and if you know Filipinos, they love sour or tart food, so santol rind, green mango, etc. is a good snack.
Once you reach the seeds, you can suck the pulp off, hence the English name, "Lolly fruit". It's kind of like mangosteen, but not cottony. You don't want to eat the seeds, but it won't kill you, at least lethally. Lol. It's quite common for parents to scold their children, because they sucked the juicy pulp from the seeds and ended up swallowing the seed. They then have bad constipation. That is kind of the thing you find in the rural provinces. The city children lose out on that "learning" experience. :)

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 06:46:58 AM »
I don't think the seeds are technically edible. I've read they have insecticidal properties.  I don't believe there is any digestion and seeds pass through.  They have an incredibly hard shell. The size of the seeds is maybe where the edibility comes into question? The smaller native santol seed is much smaller than the Bangkok seed and I read people eat and pass them. Bangkok santol seed would be like swallowing the end of a fork  :P

Excuse me, I was not clear.
Maybe cooked and, after that, with the shell removed could be eaten? Just curious and trying to know more about her. ;)

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 06:48:31 AM »
I found this you tube video of how someone else eats the santol and some other names for it. The comment section is very interesting with different people sharing their opinions of how they eat it. One person said cook the part that the person in the video ate and eat the pulp around the seeds. Another different person said thinly peel it and start eating the part he ate by sprinkling salt. They said eat it like a green apple. Interesting video & in formation from people other than myself  that I thought you, Cassio, and others might find interesting @ :     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of3Vw4m7UHs        Title is........... Tasting a Santol Fruit | Sandoricum koetjape | HD   if you just want to google it.

Good catch!  8)

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 06:51:22 AM »
I probably wrote this in a previous topic, but basically peel the skin with a paring knife, and start slicing off the outer rind, dip in sea salt and eat. It's eaten like a green mango, and if you know Filipinos, they love sour or tart food, so santol rind, green mango, etc. is a good snack.
Once you reach the seeds, you can suck the pulp off, hence the English name, "Lolly fruit". It's kind of like mangosteen, but not cottony. You don't want to eat the seeds, but it won't kill you, at least lethally. Lol. It's quite common for parents to scold their children, because they sucked the juicy pulp from the seeds and ended up swallowing the seed. They then have bad constipation. That is kind of the thing you find in the rural provinces. The city children lose out on that "learning" experience. :)

Very interesting, thanks!

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 06:53:34 AM »

Hi Cassio,
I have a monoic santol, and I have other dioic types, they are with lots of flowers now, I'm  doing seedlings.
This monoic, has a similar flavor to the bacupari, a little sweeter.
The tree in the ground grows wildly fast!
Here it takes 9 years for the first fruits, and now they bear fruit regularly !.
Then I'll give you more information on PM.

Thank you Alexandre! So, it´s similar to bacupari in flavor.  ???

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 06:56:20 AM »
All santols are monoecious. But many trees are self sterile. I found that to be the case here with trees planted on their own that never fruit, or that fruit very poorly. So if you want good fruit set best to plant at least 2 trees. Don't think they would fruit in a pot, unless you use a really giant pot. Never heard of the seeds being eaten but have heard from Phillippine people here that they cook the whole fruit and eat the rind. But i've never tried that.

Don´t have plans (nor space) for a pot that large!  ;D

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »
This question (santol fertility) has been raised before but there has never been an answer to if red santols & yellow santols can fertilize each other.
All santols are monoecious. But many trees are self sterile. I found that to be the case here with trees planted on their own that never fruit, or that fruit very poorly. So if you want good fruit set best to plant at least 2 trees.

Santol always seem to have a reputation for being fast growers.  I have two santol locally sourced here (so don't know true origin) that are shooting up like rockets.  I have one started from seed from Java that is growing much, much slower.  I keep expecting it to kick into gear & grow like the others but I am wondering if it ever will.  So it is maybe not assured that all santol will be fast growers?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 04:50:18 PM »
This question (santol fertility) has been raised before but there has never been an answer to if red santols & yellow santols can fertilize each other.
All santols are monoecious. But many trees are self sterile. I found that to be the case here with trees planted on their own that never fruit, or that fruit very poorly. So if you want good fruit set best to plant at least 2 trees.

Santol always seem to have a reputation for being fast growers.  I have two santol locally sourced here (so don't know true origin) that are shooting up like rockets.  I have one started from seed from Java that is growing much, much slower.  I keep expecting it to kick into gear & grow like the others but I am wondering if it ever will.  So it is maybe not assured that all santol will be fast growers?

I would guess that yes red and yellow santol can fertilize each other, but don't have direct experience with that.
Oscar

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 06:12:17 PM »
I wouldn't mess with eating the seeds. They can cause perforations/tears in the intestine walls. Some people have even died from it! D: (I guess from toxicity of poo, etc entering other parts of the body?
Anisha

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 01:07:48 AM »
big tree with a very poor root support..

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:13 AM »

Well marcotted trees can flower in pots.I will upload the pictures that i got from a facebook gardening group

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
Those are photos of siamese santol variety which are air layered and flowered in pots.Photos are taken from a facebook group which I am a member