Author Topic: Tillering and Suckering in Sugarcane  (Read 675 times)

Charlie

• Arkansas USA
    • View Profile
Tillering and Suckering in Sugarcane
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »
This may or may not be common knowledge among those of you who have grown sugarcane for awhile but it's all new to me. I'm reading, watching and learning a lot.

I've learned different terms for things that are called something different on other plants.

Such as in sugarcane, the early lateral canes are called Tillers, while late season ones are called Suckers.  Tillers are desirable to such an extent as they form full canes by the end of growing season.  Too many tillers are not so good and some practice thinning of them to have a manageable plant that will best utilize growing conditions and practices.

Suckers are not desirable at all, so it would seem by my reading.  They form late due to various factors and are said to reduce sugar levels in the main canes and only add extra fiber and difficulty in processing.

In the following video, I'm guessing what this man is describing to be a sucker, starting about 1:45.  He describes and shaving it off next to the cane and shows putting it in water to root, thus creating another sugarcane plant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmggNLdb6WM

I posted a comment on his video, asking if there appeared to be any damage to the cane either above or below, thinking that perhaps removal of that portion of "skin" might affect nutrient or water channels in the skin, if such straight, vertical channels exist in sugarcane or will the spot simply dry over and the cane continue it's business until harvest?

So basically I'm asking if any of you do it or know if it would damage the cane?

Edited to add, pay close attention to the video starting at 2:00, notice the length of the internode of the sucker from roots to leaves on the end.  I read in one paper that the suckers grow different than seed plants.  Is not a long internode length desirable for juicing?  Seems the fewer internodes would make for better eating and juicing.   

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:45:29 AM by Charlie »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk