Author Topic: Rooting Eugenia Uniflora (Surinam cherry)  (Read 4107 times)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Rooting Eugenia Uniflora (Surinam cherry)
« on: March 11, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »
Do cuttings of Surinam Cherry root easily?

I've grown a bunch of Pitanga from seed - but it takes forever... and I haven't found a whole lot of info about rooting cuttings.  Has anyone here done it?  Is is faster than seeds or air layers?  What is the best method?  (Highest success rate, fastest to root and fruit)?

I'm trying a test in both soil and water.  I built a cloning kit several years ago (air pots, misters on short interval timer, lighting, etc) that has worked for a number of plants - but it's down right now.  If cuttings work for Eugenia uniflora, I may set it back up again... I've decided I really like this tree in the landscape.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting Eugenia Uniflora (Surinam cherry)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:26:46 PM »
Grafted ones produce pretty quick. I've got them in one gallons with fruit.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »
FYI, I've had both, I own a Barbados and very much prefer its taste.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »
If you get impatient with seed germination be prepared for the same with rooted cuttings.
I rooted about a half dozen cuttings last year. They rooted easily... but took about 3 months.
Root-tone into Pro-mix than bagged and placed in the shady area of my greenhouse.

Kevin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:48:21 AM by Kevin Jones »

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:33:34 PM »

Thanks Mark - I'll have to come see you.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37:47 PM »
If you get impatient with seed germination be prepared for the same with rooted cuttings.
I rooted about a half dozen cuttings last year. They rooted easily... but took about 3 months.
Root-tone into Pro-mix than bagged and placed in the shady area of my greenhouse.

Kevin

Good to know they root easily.  What was the max stick caliper you tried/were successful rooting?  I trimmed some smaller branches - have sticks ranging from 1/16 of an inch to appro 2/3" - it would seem the bigger the cutting, the faster the growth once rooted?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »

Thanks Mark - I'll have to come see you.
Yeah come by some time.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 09:24:28 PM »

I agree Mark , but my project for the last ...15 years ...was ( that's it ....no more...I am getting too old ) improving blacks and reds to end up with the best that come true from seed and zero astringency , I ended up with about 4 .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 11:56:25 PM »
I agree Mark , but my project for the last ...15 years ...was ( that's it ....no more...I am getting too old ) improving blacks and reds to end up with the best that come true from seed and zero astringency , I ended up with about 4 .

Luc, that sounds like a very interesting and worthwhile project!

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:34 AM »

Luc you've selected a good black variety with low/zero astringency and comes trus from seed?
Have you got some of those golden seeds available??
Lorenzo

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 10:54:17 AM »

Luc you've selected a good black variety with low/zero astringency and comes trus from seed?

Not at the moment Lori , due to my high elevation they take a little longer to fruit .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
I have a grafted "Black Star" that had a few water sprouts below the graft that needed to be removed.
So I said "what the heck" I might as well try to root them.
Averaged around 1/8 of an inch in diameter.
Every one of them rooted.. but it took awhile.

Kevin

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »
I want to try root in but with an airstone. I have read accounts of even cut roses being rooted like this without any hormone(they hardly ever root in water) I think the air is what makes it so successful. I saw this trick initially from cannabis cultivators ha ha

My plan is to get a small fish tank with two airstones running in the bottom then make a lid that can hold the cuttings upright in the water.

How thick branches do you think? I also want to try with pitangatuba as I only have one plant and that is scary.

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 05:22:38 AM »

Not at the moment Lori , due to my high elevation they take a little longer to fruit .

would be greatly appreciated if you could give me a message once the seeds will be available.
Thanks in advance Luc!
Lorenzo

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »
I want to try root in but with an airstone. I have read accounts of even cut roses being rooted like this without any hormone(they hardly ever root in water) I think the air is what makes it so successful. I saw this trick initially from cannabis cultivators ha ha

My plan is to get a small fish tank with two airstones running in the bottom then make a lid that can hold the cuttings upright in the water.

How thick branches do you think? I also want to try with pitangatuba as I only have one plant and that is scary.

I built an aeroponics system (cut end hangs down into the air in a sealed container and warm water is misted onto the cut end for short periods of time at short intervals)... I had a high success rate with vegetative and woody cuttings from several landscape shrubs and perennials that I wanted lots of... Similar to this:

There are a bunch of commercially available "cloning machines" based on aeroponics, but I built mine using a Home Depot HDX storage box, plastic pots and foam cells from a hydroponics store, an aquarium pump and heater, 1/2" pvc pipe for the misting matrix, and misting heads from amazon.  The most expensive part was the short interval timer - I could set it to 30 second misting every 5 minutes (or so):

Might be time to resurrect it to see how it does with pitanga and others.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »

I built an aeroponics system (cut end hangs down into the air in a sealed container and warm water is misted onto the cut end for short periods of time at short intervals)... I had a high success rate with vegetative and woody cuttings from several landscape shrubs and perennials that I wanted lots of... Similar to this:

There are a bunch of commercially available "cloning machines" based on aeroponics, but I built mine using a Home Depot HDX storage box, plastic pots and foam cells from a hydroponics store, an aquarium pump and heater, 1/2" pvc pipe for the misting matrix, and misting heads from amazon.  The most expensive part was the short interval timer - I could set it to 30 second misting every 5 minutes (or so):

Might be time to resurrect it to see how it does with pitanga and others.
Awesome set up!
Please post your results if you do:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau