Author Topic: Fruits in Rio now (and help finding Jabos)  (Read 2226 times)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Fruits in Rio now (and help finding Jabos)
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »
I have found, purchased/eaten a lot more fruit than i expected to find during Brazil's "winter", but could use some help from anyone who knows the area in tracking down Jaboticaba (and related, ie Cabeluda) fruits.  I have access to Rio area and Sao Paolo.

This is what I have found so far:

* mangosteen
* mango (lots of variety - from bright orange skin to bright red, purple and all shades between)
* camapu (physalis pubescens)
* papaya (looks like solo, small tasty fruit)
* mamão formosa (very large papaya)
* star fruit (orange sweet variety and yellow acidic variety)
* atemoya (small fruit very good flavor, almost seedless)
* sugar apple
* soursop
* avocado (very large smooth skinned fruit)
* cashew
* passion fruit (yellow, large fruit - the size of cantelope)
* noni
* persimmon
+ all the regulars (bananas, apples, pears, oranges, lime, grape ,strawberry, etc)

I also got to see a 60+ year old jaboticaba (not in fruit or flower) that is 30+ feet tall.  (and a 12 year old tree that was over 15 feet tall)

... If anyone knows the Rio or Sao Paolo area and can point me in the direction of jabo fruits or the people who can lead me to them right now, I would be very grateful.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Fruits in Rio now (and help finding Jabos)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »
Have you gone to the Rio Botanical gardens? That is your best bet for rare fruits. Very large place so give yourself plenty of time.
Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »
I do plan on visiting the Jardim Botânico again, it's an amazing place... My bad luck though that the horto florestal closed on June 5 for 3+ months.

I found a 3.5 foot tall Jabo (well branched, about 3' wide) for sale today, its actually bigger than i was hoping for, but price was good at $40 USD.  Still looking for the fruit... I was told that there are some trees in fruit now in the North, but cant find anyone who knows where to get it.  A fruit vendor with mangosteens said he expects to have them in a month, but that's too late for me this trip.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
Rio-Sao Paulo in winter will have only a few off-season jabs - probably not enough to take a tray to market, so you'll need to find a grower with trees. Here at 27 south there are a few trees giving a small off-season crop, so I imagine at 23 south they'd have much the same, maybe a bit more action. A few of the less widespread types may crop in winter though?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:03:26 AM »
I do plan on visiting the Jardim Botânico again, it's an amazing place... My bad luck though that the horto florestal closed on June 5 for 3+ months.

I found a 3.5 foot tall Jabo (well branched, about 3' wide) for sale today, its actually bigger than i was hoping for, but price was good at $40 USD.  Still looking for the fruit... I was told that there are some trees in fruit now in the North, but cant find anyone who knows where to get it.  A fruit vendor with mangosteens said he expects to have them in a month, but that's too late for me this trip.

I think you're about 3 months too early for jaboticabas. Most of the crop i believe comes in around September-October.
Did you go to Instituto Plantarum botanical garden? I think it's about 1/2 hour drive from Sao Paulo in Nova Odessa. I didn't go there but have heard it's very nice. http://www.plantarum.org.br/quem-somos-jardim-botanico-plantarum-nova-odessa-sp
Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Didn't go to Sao Paolo, but found jabo trees with fruit on them in Rio... I'll have to wait til I'm back to put photos up.  I'm guessing theyre all the "precoce" or hybrid variety - since some of the smaller (4' tall) trees were in flower/fruit.  There was a stand of a half dozen trees in the ground that were over 8' tall with quite a few jabos on them.

Back to trying to track down some of the more interesting eugenias now.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:30:44 PM »
Didn't go to Sao Paolo, but found jabo trees with fruit on them in Rio... I'll have to wait til I'm back to put photos up.  I'm guessing theyre all the "precoce" or hybrid variety - since some of the smaller (4' tall) trees were in flower/fruit.  There was a stand of a half dozen trees in the ground that were over 8' tall with quite a few jabos on them.

Back to trying to track down some of the more interesting eugenias now.

Easy to tell precoce (hybrid) fruits because their seeds are much bigger.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 10:42:05 PM »
If you have extra time in Rio you could go to the Burle Max garden. It's a private garden and you need to reserve in advance. It's about 45 minute drive from Rio. Not a whole lot of fruit trees, but some, and very beautiful mixed gardens.
You should make sure to try some of the ice creams in Rio. There is an ice cream chain that has all kinds of very exotic flavors, including Cupuacu, Murici, Acai, and many others, all very delish.
Oscar