Author Topic: Enjoying summer  (Read 5767 times)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Enjoying summer
« on: July 14, 2013, 12:53:13 AM »
Having spent the last two weeks gorging on plums, peaches and nectarines - I've got my eye on the next group of fruits coming along...

Flame grapes

Manila mango

Granny Smith apples

Campas cherimoya

Frederick passion fruit

Made possible with the help of the bees, of course

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:55:49 AM by PltdWorld »

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Enjoying summer
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 12:57:09 AM »
No doubt about it, you live in paradise.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:03:55 AM »
I don't know... was thinking I need to move to FL to grow all the fruit I want.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »
NICE!!! :)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »
You mean, PW, your Manila imangoes are just now getting to the size in your photo?
Wow, seems late to me - when did they flower?  I can only think you live
near the shore and have a delayed flowering season or something....

Great camera by the way - super quality.....thanks for posting....

The Desert Dog

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 09:52:08 PM »
You mean, PW, your Manila imangoes are just now getting to the size in your photo?
Wow, seems late to me - when did they flower?  I can only think you live
near the shore and have a delayed flowering season or something....

Great camera by the way - super quality.....thanks for posting....

The Desert Dog

Mangofang, I certainly don't have mangos like you - checked your video out and yours were finishing as mine were setting fruit.  (photos were taken 7/13/2013).

I'm on a canyon in Clairemont with costal influence about 5 miles from the coast and a unique microclimate.  Over the winter we had a cold snap here and I found 1/4" of ice in a bucket of water at the midpoint of my slope one morning - the passion fruit and bananas were happy as can be at the top, but the cold burned the old leaves on the mango pretty badly.  Not sure if that caused it to flower late (I met up with simongrow in March and his mangoes will full steam ahead and mine hadn't even starting pushing growth).

I just planted a cherry down by the apple last month to see if I can get it to set fruit... seems the chill hours are there.

My oldest guava tree is flowering for the second time now (first time in six years that it has done that) and my stone fruits all had bumper crops.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos... taking photos is only fun if you can share them.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:59:52 PM by PltdWorld »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:58:26 PM »
Ptld,

Everything is looking good, your doing great job out there. San Diego has an excellent climate for organic farming all year.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
Ptld,

Everything is looking good, your doing great job out there. San Diego has an excellent climate for organic farming all year.

Thanks N/Z!  I decided to go chemical-free from the beginning... nothing poisonous for the kids to get into (except for the rattlesnakes and p.oak) and the fruit tastes great.  I have been getting the (OMRI-certified) organic compost from Miramar Landfill (free for City residents) for the last couple of years and started vermicomposting recently.

I think the next step will be adding a bee hive.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:24:06 PM »
PltdWorld, I second MangoFang, nice photos. You seem to know the rule of third. :)
The passionfruit seems to like hillside locations. I've noticed this before during a trip to SE Asia.

I thought Campas cherimoya has smooth skin like Fino de Jete? The young fruits on your photo show otherwise. Some say that the two are of the same cultivar. Maybe just speculations like for certains cultivars of lychee.

Thera

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 12:09:25 AM »
I thought Campas cherimoya has smooth skin like Fino de Jete? The young fruits on your photo show otherwise. Some say that the two are of the same cultivar. Maybe just speculations like for certains cultivars of lychee.

I got the Campas cherimoya from David Archer at Bonita Creek... I was actually looking for El Bumpo at the time and he had Dr White, Fino de Jete and Campas in sizes that worked for me.  He had explained that Campas was a commercial cultivar from Spain, and I assumed (possibly incorrectly) because he had them labeled differently that Fino de Jete was an entirely different cultivar.  I have never seen another Campas fruiting, so I can't be sure exactly of what I have, but do trust David's labeling.  The first fruit my tree produced was bumpy, but the exterior texture has been widely variable (from a scalloped/smooth texture to large protuberances, and a couple that were pear-shaped).  I'm wondering if this is related to pollination (I don't hand-pollinate) and possible cross-pollination with the African Pride atemoya I have nearby (flowers but has not fruited for me yet).  Here are some photos showing variability in fruit texture on this tree last year:

heart-shaped bumpy fruit...

rounder smoother-skinned fruit...

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:17:18 AM by PltdWorld »

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 12:32:35 AM »
Wow, two completely different shapes of the same fruit! It could very well be a pollination issue or maybe the one in the second photo is just a runt (unless you have a lot of with the same shape). I thought cross pollination won't affect the current fruits but only from the F1 generation onward.
Anyway, those are gorgeous fruits. Any plan for a Cherimoyas tasting this year? :))
Thera

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 12:48:38 AM »
If a measurable fraction of the flowers set, I'll have a Cherimoya tasting this year for sure.

From the photos above, the "rounder" fruit was about the same size as the others, but set/ripened later.

Not sure what is causing the variability in the exterior shape - would like to hear from anyone else growing Campas to see what they're supposed to look like.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
Hi PltdWorld,

My Campas looks very much like yours when young:

This will be my first fruit from my small tree.  Hopefully I will get to try a mature fruit this year.  How is the taste and what is the average weight of the fruit?  It supposed to be a very large fruit.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »
Really nice fruit set Pltdworld...Love the pic of the pollen laden busy bees!..:)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 01:30:58 AM »
Hi PltdWorld,

My Campas looks very much like yours when young:

This will be my first fruit from my small tree.  Hopefully I will get to try a mature fruit this year.  How is the taste and what is the average weight of the fruit?  It supposed to be a very large fruit.

Where did you source your tree?

Congrats on your fruit set,and glad to see the shape is similar.  My biggest fruit last season was just over a pound - definitely not huge, but bigger than any of the sugar apples and atemoyas I found in Brazil.  The flavor on the best fruit was perfect - sweet, but not overly so and plenty of complexity.  However, I managed to pick one early and never got it to ripen properly - it wasn't edible.

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 10:23:04 PM »
Having spent the last two weeks gorging on plums, peaches and nectarines - I've got my eye on the next group of fruits coming along...

Flame grapes

Manila mango

Granny Smith apples

Campas cherimoya

Frederick passion fruit

Made possible with the help of the bees, of course

like I wish  to grow apples of this, the city are so hot and haven´t frost, the temperatura not down of 22 degrees c and the max is 34 to 40, :'( :'( :-\
'
but well, I can to try grow stawberries, I read that also produce fruit in the down tropic,is true

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »

Where did you source your tree?

Congrats on your fruit set,and glad to see the shape is similar.  My biggest fruit last season was just over a pound - definitely not huge, but bigger than any of the sugar apples and atemoyas I found in Brazil.  The flavor on the best fruit was perfect - sweet, but not overly so and plenty of complexity.  However, I managed to pick one early and never got it to ripen properly - it wasn't edible.

I got mine last year at the Fullerton Arboretum Green Scene, CRFG booth.  I had read somewhere that it wasn't a popular commercial variety in Spain as the fruit is too large in comparison to Fino, as smaller fruits are easier to sell when buying by the weight.  Glad to hear that they are good tasting.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
Nice update PW! Those grapes look really good. I ended up removing all the fruit from my Manilla mango after you visited. You will get much more and better shaped fruit if you hand pollinate your cherimoya. All my Cherimoya grafts took. If you are still looking for El Bumpo scion, I can hook you up this winter. Let us know how the mangoes and cherimoya turn out.
Simon

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »
Nice update PW! Those grapes look really good. I ended up removing all the fruit from my Manilla mango after you visited. You will get much more and better shaped fruit if you hand pollinate your cherimoya. All my Cherimoya grafts took. If you are still looking for El Bumpo scion, I can hook you up this winter. Let us know how the mangoes and cherimoya turn out.
Simon

Thanks Simon.  I could definitely use your help with grafting on the Cherimoya this year and for sourcing some other scions... I had less than 50% take (none of the SAs, El Bumpo, Dr White or Pierce).

I'm also interested in trying some mango grafts on the manila.  I need to prune it back some after its done fruiting - it has some gangly branches.