Author Topic: Bowl of passion fruit...  (Read 3959 times)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Bowl of passion fruit...
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
Just that... a picture of a bowl of passion fruit.  Before I turn it into passion fruit caipirinhas.

Just in case you were wondering, there are more than 35 in that bowl.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Bowl of passion fruit...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »
Pretty reddish color, what variety is it, Frederick? And excuse my dumbness, what is caipirinhas? Have heard a few members mention it but, never really got around to looking it up on the web.

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:08:41 PM »
Very nice! I'm still awaiting some Passiflora to grow big enough to flower. Too excited and impatient.
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

rovha

• the nooby gardener
    • Portgal, madeira island, funchal, santo antonio, rua da quinta falcão
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:35:13 PM »
Pretty reddish color, what variety is it, Frederick? And excuse my dumbness, what is caipirinhas? Have heard a few members mention it but, never really got around to looking it up on the web.

Caipirinha its an alchaolic beverage normally made with cachaça (fermented sugarcane juice[http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacha%C3%A7a]) and a lot of limes and ice, but there are quite a few of variation of this beverage as pltd is going to do. Maybe he should put a recipe on the recipe segment if anyone wants to try it at home.
João David Abreu Sousa

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 12:02:55 AM »

From what I understand, Frederick is one of the largest purple passion fruit varieties, to four inches. These fruit do not appear to be of that size.

Very nice! I'm still awaiting some Passiflora to grow big enough to flower. Too excited and impatient.

Passifloras can be noted for their short time to maturity, with most species taking one year or so to flower.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
The Maracuja Caiprinha Recipe:

Ingredients:
Rocks glass
Fresh Passion Fruit
Sugar
Crushed Ice

Strain the juice of 2-3 passion fruits into a rocks glass (don't wash through with water)

Put an equal amount of sugar into the glass (ie if 3 tablespoons of passion fruit juice, use 3 tablespoons sugar)

Stir until sugar is dissolved

Add crushed ice to approx. 3/4 of glass

Fill with Cachaca (or Vodka for Caipiroska) to just under top of ice

Stir

Top off with water

Stir again

Drink responsibly.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 12:19:06 AM »

From what I understand, Frederick is one of the largest purple passion fruit varieties, to four inches. These fruit do not appear to be of that size.  I guess the size of the bowl is kind of deceptive since there is nothing else in the frame for reference, but... it's a big & deep bowl.

This is from a single Frederick vine that gives approximately 500 fruit per year.  The fruit range from 1" to > 4", most are right around 3".  These are among the first to ripen for me this season (second fruiting this year) - the vine is still holding about 200 green fruit now and some will get much bigger.  I plucked a couple from the bowl and set down with a tape measure for an idea of size.

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
Well those are big! I have Frederick seeds planted, so next year I hope to see my first flowers.  :)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »
Try miracle fruit with passionfruit, absolutely amazing! You can cut out all the sugar. Most Fredrick's I've seen around here are about 2-3 inches.
Simon

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 12:30:08 AM »
Well those are big! I have Frederick seeds planted, so next year I hope to see my first flowers.  :)

I have about 20 seedlings of Frederick growing now... curious to see what they turn into since they aren't supposed to come true to type (as Frederick is a Worley hybrid of Kahuna X Brazilian Golden).  The biggest of the seedlings is just over a foot tall now, growing like a weed and looks nothing like the Frederick vine that spawned its fruit/seed.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 01:40:31 AM »

Thanks, I didn't know. I'm not a drinker, so I have no idea of what it was and thanks PltdWorld for the recipe. I'm sure many will appreciate your recipe. Wow 500 yearly fruits from a single vine. I recently bought two Australian variety(which isn't normally found, actually this is the only place in the US, that has these variety, that I know of), one which Mike T. said is one of his top fave yellow variety(hybrid "panama gold") and the p. edulis "sweet heart"( brix of 15, but Mike said, that one, is just okay compare to misty gem, brix of 13.7).

If anyone wants to check out these two sites(they are the same owner I believe, for both sites), but one is offering plants and seeds at a more pricier rate and the other seem to be half off most things atm. but, I have to warn you guys, if you buy plants, they come in good shape, but lack almost any root system. both my vines came healthy looking until I accidentally pulled the plant from the little 2" container and most of the soil fell off, revealing what little roots it has. But now they are looking nicer, but no leaf has yet started growing yet. Though the seeds are cheaper and might be a better idea, if anyone, is looking to get some of the harder to find passiflora varieties.

Gerogiavines.com and passionvinecottage.com are the sites. The second site looks to be having a half off sale on most of the plants and seeds, so check it out if anyone is interested. Btw, the 2nd site is where I got my "panama gold" from and they have one left for half price, but like I said it does lack root mass. Almost forgot to mention, the 2nd site doesn't seem to have the passiflroa edulis list on the side of the menu, so just type in passiflora edulis for the 4 page list of the edulis varieties.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:14:01 PM by thao »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 09:01:56 AM »
http://www.faceysnursery.com.au/onthetable/on-the-table/passionfruit---pandora
There always seems to be a new and better passionfruit getting around. A couple of weeks ago a small Pandora vine at the hardware store was looking for a good home. I wonder if it really is lifting the passionfruit bar higher.
The link below shows that passionfruit growing is big business and breeding is taken seriously.
http://www.horticulture.com.au/admin/assets/library/annual_reports/pdfs/PDF_File_27.pdf