Author Topic: oil application to treat scale on white sapote, miracle fruit potted trees  (Read 1337 times)

creekweb

• zone 6, zone 7
    • View Profile
Just noticed a heavy infestation of black scale on my indoor white sapote, miracle fruit and citrus potted trees. I crushed about a thousand of them and I'd like to follow that with an oil treatment. What dilution of oil can I use that won't harm the foliage of these trees and still kill the nymphs. Anyone with experience using cannola oil rather than horticultural oil for this purpose? Thanks.

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
I have been using two spoons of cooking oil (soy bean) and a spoon of dishwater soap in 5 liters of water to treat black soot ( carried by ants who go for sap)  in my citrus plants. Repeat dose after two weeks.  Soap has action of lowering surface tension. This works.
I have seen some postings recommending use of neem oil.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
I already did it. I used a HIgher oil concentration.  Some trees leaves fall down others leaves are shiny.  Do you use lower concentration for costs? Or to avoid leave damage ?
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
As we've discussed on another thread, go to Lowes, Home Depot, or other good nursery in the area and get Bonide's Horticultural Oil and follow their instructions.  It smothers them on the spot.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
One type of oil spray sold is a lighter mineral oil and another is heavier petroleum based.  I have found the lighter oil to be less effective in use on citrus.     Had to go read the ingredient list to see why it was lacking and  had to respray. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk