Author Topic: BIG tropical white guava  (Read 3479 times)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
BIG tropical white guava
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
I just went down to water some of my trees since it's been so hot here... and saw a guava had ripened up.  Ended up picking two of them.  Usually they're about the size of a golfball, maybe a bit bigger.  These were HUGE in comparison.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: BIG tropical white guava
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
Nice looking guava, hope they taste as good as they look. And just curious, soft or crunchy flesh?

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »
They look yummy, PltdWorld. Are they the soft kind? I have the crunchy type, and they are bigger size. Here a pic.
[img][/img]

First time we were able to eat a ripened one, and not lose it to squirrels, thanks to an idea from Puglvr's posts. Here they were on the tree.
[][/img]

BTW, thanks for your tips on the weather stations on the other thread.

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 07:36:31 PM »
Oh you guys are driving me crazy with those white guava. I just discovered them a few months ago and I wish everyday I had one. I planted a young Thai white guava and have 30-40 seedlings from fruit I ate. I need to start looking for another grafted tree. Good luck and thanks for posting.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »
nch & thao - this one is normally eaten soft (not like the Vietnamese crunchy).  And I don't remember these ever ripening in January before - these fruit are the result of a 2nd flowering (right after harvest) in 2013 and some of those fruit are ripening up now.  I had several hundred (maybe 1000+) last year and there are hundreds of green fruit on the tree now.

I *really* want to tell you they taste awesome now, but unfortunately it's not the case.  When they ripen in spring/summer they beat any other guava I've eaten (or my in-laws and they have several trees in Brazil).  But right now, they were pretty bland.

btw, nch - that's a nice looking fruit tray you set for yourself there!

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 12:46:27 AM »

I *really* want to tell you they taste awesome now, but unfortunately it's not the case.  When they ripen in spring/summer they beat any other guava I've eaten (or my in-laws and they have several trees in Brazil).  But right now, they were pretty bland.

That's nice to have some now, even if they aren't at their best. Mine are only 2 year old seedlings or cuttings, so maybe this coming summer/Fall, I might get to try my very first back yard guavas. I have a few varieties, Emperor, Pearl, Thai/Bangkok giant, lemon guava, Malaysian Red, Paul Thompson, Mexican cream, un name orange and pink flesh, Chinese guava  and Beaumont guava. Beaumont is the biggest of the batch, so that one, is the most likely candidate for hopefully some fruits this year.

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »
 Nice. Good luck. :)

That's nice to have some now, even if they aren't at their best. Mine are only 2 year old seedlings or cuttings, so maybe this coming summer/Fall, I might get to try my very first back yard guavas. I have a few varieties, Emperor, Pearl, Thai/Bangkok giant, lemon guava, Malaysian Red, Paul Thompson, Mexican cream, un name orange and pink flesh, Chinese guava  and Beaumont guava. Beaumont is the biggest of the batch, so that one, is the most likely candidate for hopefully some fruits this year.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »
Nice. Good luck. :)

Thanks, hoping at least one or two trees fruits this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk