Author Topic: Mango trees are leaning and one partialy uprooted  (Read 2292 times)

TRI433

• Homestead, Florida
    • View Profile
Mango trees are leaning and one partialy uprooted
« on: September 23, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
This area was hard hit by Hurricane Irma with many down trees and broken tree limbs.  My Mango trees took a beating  from very strong east and southeast winds.   The problem here in south Miami Dade Florida is tree roots are shallow rooted because there is limestone bedrock about 4 inches below surface.  I  have tried to straighten the trees with my truck, arbor ties and stakes but they are still leaning.   It is difficult to tie the arbor tie without any slack so when I back my truck to release tension in the tie the tree leans.   Anyone else suffer loss in Hurricane Irma?

When I plant more mango trees I must figure out some way to allow the plants to develop a better anchor to the ground to prevent the uprooting problem.    Most of my avocado trees did not uproot and are not leaning with one exception.  Are avocado trees better anchored to ground than Mango trees?    My banana plants were very hard hit with P stems snapped and bunch losses.

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango trees are leaning and one partialy uprooted
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 06:38:36 AM »
We were hard hit by Irma as well. I have six mango trees, over seven years old and 15 feet tall. The ones that did not blow over were snapped off.

For the ones which blew over, completely, I have severely cut back before standing back up. I am in no way an expert, but my understanding is that when the roots are damaged, they can't support the volume of leaves (transpiration.) Also, I think the trees will tolerate a bit of a tilt and the new growth will straighten out. I have even toyed with the idea of only propping them up to a 45 degree angle in the hope they will have less wind resistance for the next time.

Erica

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:43:14 AM »
We were hard hit by Irma as well. I have six mango trees, over seven years old and 15 feet tall. The ones that did not blow over were snapped off.

For the ones which blew over, completely, I have severely cut back before standing back up. I am in no way an expert, but my understanding is that when the roots are damaged, they can't support the volume of leaves (transpiration.) Also, I think the trees will tolerate a bit of a tilt and the new growth will straighten out. I have even toyed with the idea of only propping them up to a 45 degree angle in the hope they will have less wind resistance for the next time.

Erica
Use tree branches up to 4" diameter with a fork at the top as props in addition to what you are doing. These should be available from other trees that are down. The prop sticks when stuck into the ground will not let the tree spring back. You can use more than one prop.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 07:55:42 AM »
Shows the props in use:

You can prepare bananas somewhat for storms by pruning. This doc describes how:
http://teca.fao.org/read/6864

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »
You can use a "come along" tied to the truck for more accurate pulling. Hat rack the tree before propping if needed. You can use 2x4's to prop. Pineislander has the right idea.
Jeff  :-)

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »
I remember the prop trick now that you mention it, from my experience in Naples when some really big mango trees went down. Can't remember if it was Wilma or Charley or what. That was when I lived in town and had professionals come and put them back up.

Just a safety reminder: We were using a 4x4 four wheeler and come along to pull up the biggest tree today. Had secured it with a 1" thick rope. Rope broke and the recoil whacked my right hand pretty good. Luckily nothing was broken. Just a swollen hand/fingers.

The ones I have heeled in and the ones I have pulled up and staked are looking pretty good. The ones that broke off are already pushing new growth. Nature is amazing in its capacity for rebirth.

Erica

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
Chains don't snap back but you need to cushion the trunk well with multiple layers of carpet where you attach the rigging. Rope and cable can be deadly don't get in the line-of-fire.

If you use a tractor with front loader, use the wheels to put a strain when pulling up, then use the bucket rotation 'knuckle' for the last bit. You need to come over a little farther than vertical, put the props in tight then when you relax pressure the props dig in very well. If not, repeat. Cut props long then trim as needed.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 11:47:50 AM »

Very sorry to hear about your mango trees damage Erica...I'm sure they will bounce back  :), they are pretty resilient trees.