Author Topic: Pomegranates  (Read 931 times)

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
Pomegranates
« on: October 12, 2020, 09:46:22 AM »
Is anyone in the southern half of Florida state growing Pomegranates?

I have found only two nurseries offering it. Excalibur has Indian Red only. Florida Hill Nursery sells a dwarf Red Lady they say is self-fertile.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Erica
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:01:18 AM by ericalynne »

ericalynne

• View Profile
Re: Pomegranates
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »
Thanks for the information and the link.

My problem is not so much which variety to get, but how to get any tree.

I have also read that pomegranates don't do all that well in Florida, but I would still like to try it. Apparently it has pretty flowers that attract hummingbirds, as well as the fruit which is described as being nutritious.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 11:25:28 AM »
Ericalynne.

I'm growing the cultivar 'Vietmanese' which I got from TopTropicals.  It has been in the ground for two and a half years and is holding its own in my sandy soil.  It seems to have gotten its roots down far enough that is no longer wilts if it isn't watered once or twice a week during the hot summer.  (The x'Ruby Supreme' guava planted right next to it still does wilt if not watered, and it was planted at the same time as the pomegranate.)

My 'Vietmamese' has not yet flowered but it is growng well and is now about seven feet tall and is prolly needing a heading back.

I also have a seedling of the 'Indian River' cultivar in a 6-inch pot and it's about 18-inches tall but not ready to put into the ground yet, but it is doing well in a pot.  I bought it for the prupose of cross-pollination with the 'Vietmanese, just on case'.

BTW, these two particular cultivars of pomegranate are supposed to do well in our humid Florida climate.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 02:46:31 PM »
Thanks, Paul,

I will look into Top Tropicals as a pomegranate source. I have not had good luck with them, but it has been a long time since I bought plants from them.

I wonder why Excalibur carries only Indian Red, if it does not do well in SFLa

It sounds like you have soil similar to mine. Very sandy and low nutrients. Its a struggle to grow anything until it gets established.

Erica

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 03:41:15 PM »
Check out Green Sea Farms:
http://greenseapomegranates.com/
Michael

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 04:25:49 PM »
When I first got into this whole thing early this year I bought a pom. I ordered a wonderful from fastgrowingtrees before I learned it may not do well here. Anyone know how to recreate chill hours? Or is it the humidity that's the issue?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:28:46 PM by TheGivingTree »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk