Author Topic: I need an Eugenia fix ...  (Read 8556 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
I need an Eugenia fix ...
« on: August 27, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
Has been a while since I was able to ad a new name to my list .....What's new in the Eugenia fanatics world ? When I see the postman he shakes his head ...nothing for me . Have you guys received any envelopes from Brazil lately ? Even my dear friends from over-there are letting me down or are the packages confiscated ...?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
Re: I need an Eugenia fix ...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 04:48:11 PM »
Hi Luc

Sorry but I don't have any immediate solution to your problem.
Just want to let you know that you're not alone on this problem... my thoughts are with you!

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »
Last package i got out of brazil was may.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 05:49:06 AM »
Yeah missed out on vitors last offerings as I was crook and he's of bills. Still keeping an eye out but same boat as you, hangin out for next Eugenia fix. Hehe. I thought you had run out of room? Hoping Eugenia subterminalis fruits for me this year, if it does I will swing some your way. Tryin to get my hands on some Eugenia cereja seeds but seeds of new types are getting so damn hard to find.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 02:37:40 PM »
I placed an order with Vitor in July. The package was returned to him. I payed shipping again, and he changed up the seeds and added extras. They arrived two weeks ago, in bad shape, but I followed his instructions and they seem surprisingly healthy. I may risk another order soon enough, but I'd really like to know what happens when they confiscate seeds, and when they don't. What goes differently? What can be done to prevent it? For a newb, I feel the hardcore collection bug biting me hard. To me it's worth the risk weather they arrive well or not (never mind that I'm broke). For other people, it might not be worth the lost investment. Whatever it is going on there, somebody oughtta get to the bottom of it, so the propagators can get their hands on rare materials and make them less rare.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 06:15:24 PM »
Rare or not, they will confiscate if I is not labelled correctly, not packaged correctly, not cleaned properly, they havnt made there quota for the month... Not sure on the last one but sometimes it seems like it! 😁  it is very much hit and miss some times but as long as you let the sender know your customs are strict and specify what requirements are needed it can mean the difference between getting your seeds and not.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 08:10:21 PM »
Caesar , It all depends what country you are in ( receiving country ) . For the USA there is no problem as long as you have a permit , have them sent trough USDA/APHIS , are an allowed taxa , clean seeds etc....Some / most people in the USA do not bother and take the risk .

Every country has his own rules , the worst are Brazil and Taiwan . Sending seeds OUT from Brazil is not allowed , they even inspect outgoing packages ( like what happened in your situation ) I must have lost over the years 500 to 1000 seeds . Nothing can be done about it , it's a gamble like roulette ....black or red ....lol....

It is getting harder and harder to acquire new stuff . But I am not giving up ...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 08:35:21 PM »
Yeah missed out on vitors last offerings as I was crook and he's of bills. Still keeping an eye out but same boat as you, hangin out for next Eugenia fix. Hehe. I thought you had run out of room? Hoping Eugenia subterminalis fruits for me this year, if it does I will swing some your way. Tryin to get my hands on some Eugenia cereja seeds but seeds of new types are getting so damn hard to find.

Dear Don , my subterminalis are 5 plus years old , just put them in the ground ....can you believe I kept these in a nursery bag for that long , pampering all the time , I'll be F.. &*^^%$$^&* pissed if they turn out worthless . They are the dwarfs .

I am at a point of my collection where I will need to make some drastic decisions , sacrifice some Heliconia or the axe for fruits that are so and so ( Even Eugenias ) ..So far I guess that 80 % of the 350 sp I have growing have fruited , in a way I am almost out of exciting surprises . 
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 09:56:56 PM »
Your subterminalis the Jim west tree or the proper Eugenia subterminalis with red small fruits? I know what you mean, I am not too worried about eating quality of my eugenias more just collecting as many as I can. Some that i passed up at the start like e cereja I cannot find anywhere now, so i cringe every time I pass something up wondering I it will turn up again next year. Room is at a minimum also. Just potted up some more of the e capuli and e matossii, they are going great, healthy root systems and great green foliage.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 10:17:12 PM »
Your subterminalis the Jim west tree or the proper Eugenia subterminalis with red small fruits? I know what you mean, I am not too worried about eating quality of my eugenias more just collecting as many as I can. Some that i passed up at the start like e cereja I cannot find anywhere now, so i cringe every time I pass something up wondering I it will turn up again next year. Room is at a minimum also. Just potted up some more of the e capuli and e matossii, they are going great, healthy root systems and great green foliage.

Don , the subterminalis I grow were the first that Jim offered for sale . My E. copacabanensis failed for the 2 nd year and I had thousands of flowers . Glad to hear the capuli and matossii are doing well , I guess by now you know not to overwater the matossii and keep in shade for some time , I noticed some flowers again today( matossii )...love this ( small ) fruit but they produce so many and even unripe they are sweet .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 11:06:10 PM »
The e subterminalis I have is from Vitor, he reckons this is the true subterminalis with red small fruit and small growth with coppery new foliage. Copacabensis is one I am also chasing, pity yours failed crop twice in a row. Matossi is looking great in part shade and water unregularly. Capuli is great looking also, did you keep any yourself?

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 11:12:55 PM »
Hi Luc,

How about Eugania leitonii? It shouldn't be impossible to get seeds.

Tomas

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 11:48:05 PM »
I think vitor has them although a lot of his offerings are germinated seed now from his last email he sent so rules it out for alot of people, Mexico might be bit more lax. Might be lucky.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »
Don and Tomas , the E. leitonii doesn't get a good rating in Lorenzi's book , it says " not very popular because of astringency and sour taste "
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 07:55:42 PM »
The variation must be great in fruit quality of the E. leitonii. My friend in Brazil tells me he has personality picked these fruits and he says they are "sweet and with very good flavor" .

Tomas

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 08:40:23 PM »
Yeah, I have read so.ewhere they are not bad on the chew also but they dont look flash like some other fruits. Was going to get some as well as the neoverucosa and the sp that vitor had but had time off work crook and then bills using up the last of me cash so let them slide this time unfortunately.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
Just got some seeds from brazil. Currently every package I get is opened and inspected. Any spelling issues or signs of germination and they are returning or destroying packages. Must be staffing up for Christmas.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »
Yep, just had package turn up and seeds destroyed. Reckon packaging has to be airtight or it will not be allowed through.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
This is the worst time of year it seems was the same last year. Also pays to keep packages small.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 05:49:13 AM »
Had to ring them up and she spouted on about permits and bicon. But she then said as long as it is in airtight packaging and labelled with full botanic name there's no reason it should not turn up. Bloody confusing, what are the permits for?

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 06:58:52 AM »
They read from cue cards. You dont need an import permit unless the species listing says you need one or its commercial quantities or its an unassessed species you have provisional approval for. Ive heard it recently too.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 08:59:44 AM »
Does your head in! How your trees goin druss?

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
Luc, have you ever tried cross breeding Eugenias? With such a variety, surely there has to be some overlap in flower times between some of the species.. maybe one of the cherry types with a pintangtuba or pitomba? Could wind up with a tasty new  E. Vleerackeii :)

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 11:30:06 AM »
I think a lot are not compatible with each other even though they are same family and the ones that could propably wouldn't benefit from it eg corg and calycina I take it they taste similar but if you were crossing for bigger corg fruit you may aswell just grow calycina or grumichama maybe with itaguahiensis would be imparting slow growth habit from itaguahiensis and similar flavours. The thought crossed my mind many times when I first started off but after growing so many of them now you can tell alot wont be compatible.

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »
Interesting, how can you tell they won't be compatible? Given that my cedar bay, rio grande and pitangatuba have all flowered for me in only 2-3 years and at around the same time perios, I was thinking of trying to cross them next season...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk