Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Grafting Wax Jambu and Rose Apple on Syzygium australe?

<< < (2/4) > >>

barath:

--- Quote from: ScottR on May 27, 2024, 11:58:07 AM ---Hey Barath, I grafted wax jambu scions from Mark L. onto my rose apple about a month ago no pushing yet but we have been cool here. Rose apples here have died back 30yrs ago but now don't even get leaf burn in Winters here so, you should be fine with it as a rootstock and they are pretty vigorous.

--- End quote ---

Ah, that's a nice idea -- Rose Apple does seem to be pretty hardy, and besides the scale problem it has it's pretty tough.

ScottR:
I've never had a problem with scale on rose apple but other stuff in g.h. is constant fight.

barath:

--- Quote from: ScottR on May 27, 2024, 07:39:17 PM ---I've never had a problem with scale on rose apple but other stuff in g.h. is constant fight.

--- End quote ---

Oh that's great. All the Rose Apple trees I've planted in the ground get covered in scale almost immediately. Maybe it's just the type of soil / what ants are around.

greenerpasteur:
Wax jambu grow really well in Southern California. I have close to 10 trees and different variety - Black Diamond, Black Gold, Red Rocket, Thai Jumbo, white, Thai long green wax jambu.

There are alot of wax jambu that's 2 story high and trunk easily 1 ft in diameter. I also see Rose apple and Jamun in Southern California over 2 story high. 20-30+ year old trees.

If you are in zone 10B, you don't need to go through the extra hassle.

BayAreaMicroClimate:
I tried bunch and have a few approach grafts set up but Iím starting to think they donít work. Although thereís many pilly Lillyís that are different species so maybe one of them is more compatible. Iíve killed many wax jambu so Iím hoping wax jambu grafted on rose Apple might work better

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version