Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 951400 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #1475 on: October 20, 2015, 12:46:49 AM »
Last week I received the "very sweet" (Megalanthus) Yellow Dragon Fruit (DF) variety from T.T. Nursery, and I was quite impressed. The shipping was perfect. It consisted of a medium-small plastic black pot from which two (2!) DF stalks come up out of the soil to a height of about 2 feet, supported by a thin wood board.

What surprised me about this variety, is that the width of the DF 'stalk' (...?) is about half the width of my 'David-Bowie' variety Red DF. I suppose this has to do as to why the (megalanthus) fruit is smaller than the Red DF; I then can't help but to wish that advanced CRISPR-CAS9 technology were already here, so that the size of the fruit could be made to be the same size as the Red DF, or bigger. I suppose it's something to look forward to.

I'm considering planting the Yellow DF on the same pole where I have my 'David-Bowie' Red DF growing, since I've run out of space in my yard. And, since the fruit from both varieties are of different colors, one is red and the other is yellow, it'll be easy to identify which is which. I just hope that they get along OK on the same pole and that the Red DF doesn't end up killing the Yellow DF.

Good luck! Take pictures and keep us posted.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 22, 2015, 01:44:38 AM »
Or you could be careless while tying them to your post and break off the tip unintentionally. That's about 3' shorter than it's supposed to be. Grrrr.:

Maybe there's something to this whole pruning thing. Here's that same broken tip, a month later:

That's about 6" of growth. I also rubbed off a second part that started growing out of it.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 23, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
I never heard of that Dragon Fruit variety behavior before: "the thorns drop off when the fruit ripens;" cool!
Here's a link to their web page on Selenicereus megalanthus.

They have two varieties of the yellow DF. One yellow DF variety is described as "very-sweet". The other yellow DF variety is described as "super-sweet," and it comes with a higher price.

When I called up to order the "super-sweet" DF variety, they were sold out and I ended up ordering the yellow DF variety that was described as "very-sweet."

Full disclosure: Something tells me that they are both the same variety and that there has just been some kind of classification error. But, then again, I wish I was wrong and that there really does exist a second variety with the deserving name of "super-sweet."

Anyhow, just as I told ricshaw, I tried to resist but ended up ordering the yellow "very-sweet" DF variety, along with all the small fruit size and thorns characteristics.

Last week I received the "very sweet" (Megalanthus) Yellow Dragon Fruit (DF) variety from T.T. Nursery, and I was quite impressed. The shipping was perfect. It consisted of a medium-small plastic black pot from which two (2!) DF stalks come up out of the soil to a height of about 2 feet, supported by a thin wood board.

What surprised me about this variety, is that the width of the DF 'stalk' (...?) is about half the width of my 'David-Bowie' variety Red DF. I suppose this has to do as to why the (megalanthus) fruit is smaller than the Red DF; I then can't help but to wish that advanced CRISPR-CAS9 technology were already here, so that the size of the fruit could be made to be the same size as the Red DF, or bigger. I suppose it's something to look forward to.

I'm considering planting the Yellow DF on the same pole where I have my 'David-Bowie' Red DF growing, since I've run out of space in my yard. And, since the fruit from both varieties are of different colors, one is red and the other is yellow, it'll be easy to identify which is which. I just hope that they get along OK on the same pole and that the Red DF doesn't end up killing the Yellow DF.

Pictures!! Pictures!!

My yellow dragon is one inch in width. Is yours about that size?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 23, 2015, 07:08:27 PM »

Pictures!! Pictures!!

File: Selenicereus megalanthus

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Selenicereus_megalanthus_%28DITSL%29.JPG

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 23, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »

Pictures!! Pictures!!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Selenicereus_megalanthus_%28DITSL%29.JPG

Wow! They definity look slimmer than the other dragon fruits! Live the way its growing in the picture

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: October 24, 2015, 12:29:21 AM »

Pictures!! Pictures!!

Wow! They definity look slimmer than the other dragon fruits! Live the way its growing in the picture

Not all "Dragon Fruit" looks the same.  The fruit and stems can look quite different on different Pitahaya species and hybrids.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 24, 2015, 06:34:55 AM »
Any thoughts?  I've had 3 flowers on three different nights that I've wanted to collect pollen from to store, and none have produced a spec of pollen. Weather is good and warm with good humidity but it's not something I've encountered before. The varieties concerned have always had plenty of pollen.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 25, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »
Any thoughts?  I've had 3 flowers on three different nights that I've wanted to collect pollen from to store, and none have produced a spec of pollen. Weather is good and warm with good humidity but it's not something I've encountered before. The varieties concerned have always had plenty of pollen.

Weather is a factor. If you waited to collect pollen in the morning, I bet you could have gotten pollen around 10 PM when the flower first opened. That has been my experience.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 28, 2015, 07:09:26 AM »

Weather is a factor. If you waited to collect pollen in the morning, I bet you could have gotten pollen around 10 PM when the flower first opened. That has been my experience.
Just an update on the no pollen situation. I have 2 varieties flowering tonight, G2 and Jade Red. It's 9pm, hot, humid and ready to storm in a big way. The G2, one flower only, has plump anthers that are loaded with pollen. The Jade Red, two flowers, has shrivelled anthers and not a spec of pollen. Hopefully the G2 can pollinate itself. I'm not sure what is causing the problem as they are 2 metres apart with same growing conditions.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 28, 2015, 09:25:21 AM »
I was told g2 needs a pollinator
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: October 29, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »
I was told g2 needs a pollinator

That's what I've read too

pogonsili

• new jersey, philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: November 09, 2015, 12:08:17 AM »
Anyone has cuttings for sale of Edgar Valdivia's Asunta 3 and Pink Panther. Thank you.

turgut

• türkiye /muğla /dalaman
    • View Profile
    • http://tropikalmeyvelerim.com
« Reply #1487 on: November 17, 2015, 01:43:51 AM »
dragon fruit in the greenhouse :

turgut

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: November 17, 2015, 02:00:31 AM »

turgut

• View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: November 17, 2015, 02:08:47 AM »

THE AND ..... :)

Boshi

• Denmark, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: November 17, 2015, 02:41:26 AM »
Selam aleykum :D

Those dragonfruits sure look delicious aaaah, cant wait till summer arrives in Denmark so my df can start putting up good growth instead than the thin and mangly ones ^^'
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:09:25 AM by Boshi »

turgut

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 17, 2015, 03:05:55 AM »
ve aleyküm selam Boshi :)
thank you

Boshi

• Denmark, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: November 17, 2015, 03:12:01 AM »
I'm guessing the weather is still good in Turkey? Over here in DK it's started to drop down the 10C* and near the frost temperatures a couple of times :)

turgut

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: November 17, 2015, 03:33:31 AM »
it's hot like summer high :)

Boshi

• Denmark, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: November 17, 2015, 03:59:05 AM »
Oh sweet! May you have an awesome harvest :D

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: November 17, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »
Congratulations Turgut! Dragon fruits make all family happy!  ;D :P

turgut

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: November 18, 2015, 01:14:46 AM »
Thank you :)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: November 18, 2015, 12:50:27 PM »
Some dragon fruits finally reached the top and are allowed to branch out and drape. hoping for some delicious fruits in the future!

Mine have draped over the trellis, and about 2 weeks ago I noticed a set of buds forming on a horizontal segment:

This was when it was still warm in Los Angeles (mid-80s during the day. In November . ::) ). I'll snap another photo this weekend to compare progress, but it's cooled down significantly in the last 2 weeks (mid to low 60s during the day, 50s at night) so I don't expect a lot of growth right now.

But we'll warm right back up in March/April, so maybe I'll get flowers in 2016.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: November 18, 2015, 08:20:23 PM »
But we'll warm right back up in March/April, so maybe I'll get flowers in 2016.

Way to go! Fingers crossed.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: November 20, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »
I bought this beauty at Publix. Does somebody know what variety it is? it's sweet comparing to white flash ones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk