Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Lujan Jaboticaba - 7b in Ground Test

(1/7) > >>

Sir Graftalot:
So I have this Plinia oblongata - Lujan Jaboticaba seedling (2-gallon size) that I'm thinking of planting in the ground in zone 7b based on cold tolerance noted by Trade Winds Fruit. Am I making a foolish gamble? GreenDreams is selling this plant for $95 hate to see it freeze to death when winter comes.

https://www.tradewindsfruit.com/plinia-oblongata-lujan-jaboticaba-seeds

https://www.greendreamsfl.com/online-store/Jaboticaba-Tree-Lujan-Plinia-sp-2G-p579803755

K-Rimes:
Folks in 8a/8b lose almost all the growth from the season off of their Campo Ramons. I know of one in Seattle and one outside on Vancouver Island. Waiting for Spring updates from them.

I don't see the point for 7a / 7b outdoors with no protection. Maybe 50% of the years they'd survive, but that one brutal frost and they're donezo.

Sir Graftalot:

--- Quote from: K-Rimes on April 17, 2024, 03:45:28 PM ---Folks in 8a/8b lose almost all the growth from the season off of their Campo Ramons. I know of one in Seattle and one outside on Vancouver Island. Waiting for Spring updates from them.

I don't see the point for 7a / 7b outdoors with no protection. Maybe 50% of the years they'd survive, but that one brutal frost and they're donezo.

--- End quote ---

Of course I'll be giving it some sort of protection. As for method, maybe someone here can offer suggestions. I purchased this one with the intention of having a jabo in ground, in my zone (bragging rights and all that jazz). I really want to make it work. If it can survive 15F, per Trade Winds, it should be able to make it.

K-Rimes:
I really don't believe the 15f. You will be losing some inches annually, and if it only grows a few inches each year, it'll slowly die back.

It seems you're committed to the cause, so just go for it and update us.

Sir Graftalot:

--- Quote from: K-Rimes on April 17, 2024, 04:00:12 PM ---I really don't believe the 15f. You will be losing some inches annually, and if it only grows a few inches each year, it'll slowly die back.

It seems you're committed to the cause, so just go for it and update us.

--- End quote ---

Will do on that. Planning on putting it in the ground early to give it time to get established before the onslaught of our winter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version