Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

How can I improve the quality of the soil in my backyard?

(1/3) > >>

NewGen:
The soil has been called clay-like and alkaline by a landscape company when I first moved in. I've added different things over the years to improve it. I never really followed any schedule when I made the amendments. I've dumped many bags of "compost" (bought at Home Depot), calcium sulfate, steer manure, chicken manure. These were done at different times over the last 4 years. It must have helped some, because last month when I was planting a persimmon, I noticed there were more earthworms, and the ground was easier to dig. In addition to the "amendments" above, I also dumped grass cuttings and all the leaves that fell off from the trees where they are, to act like a mulch layer. So what do you guys think? Should I use "compost" again, or the manure, or anything else?

Thanks,

Saltcayman:
A great place to start would be a soil analysis. Then you would know exactly where you stand.  A good alalysis will provide suggestions on what and how much to add.  In my expeience, mulching is a good thing. I compost in place by Layering green and carbon based materials that still allow water and air to pass through them. It is called lasagna mulching by some. The soil forum at gw has tons of great information.  Dave

nullzero:
I would just continue doing what your doing. I would also consider a cover crop like 'Ground Hog' radish, would help with aeration and also used as green manure.  Consider mulching with pine bark/pin needles as well. http://www.growingproduce.com/article/14049

Salty, brought up a good topic. Lasagna gardening works out well, I have done it and gotten great results. I would find more information on the subject and read about the benefits.

FlyingFoxFruits:

--- Quote from: NewGen on February 23, 2012, 12:21:07 PM ---The soil has been called clay-like and alkaline by a landscape company when I first moved in. I've added different things over the years to improve it. I never really followed any schedule when I made the amendments. I've dumped many bags of "compost" (bought at Home Depot), calcium sulfate, steer manure, chicken manure. These were done at different times over the last 4 years. It must have helped some, because last month when I was planting a persimmon, I noticed there were more earthworms, and the ground was easier to dig. In addition to the "amendments" above, I also dumped grass cuttings and all the leaves that fell off from the trees where they are, to act like a mulch layer. So what do you guys think? Should I use "compost" again, or the manure, or anything else?

Thanks,

--- End quote ---

Have you looked at the literature on www.ecofriendlyonline.com ?

There are all sorts of small organisms that enhance a plants over all ability to cope with improper ph, and other complex environmental factors.

When your trees are struggling with yellow leaves and reduced vigor, due to improper growing conditions, consider things like:

mycorrhiza

Humic and Fulvic Acids

Lignin

Natural Carbon

Trace Elements

These are things, that the product I rant and rave about, contains!

I don't see why more people wouldn't prefer to use fertilizers and supplements, that are eco friendly, and safe to get all over a baby duck, your dog/cat, or even your kids, or your own face!  :blank: fill in the blank!

Oh well, I know the world won't be organic, and that poison ivy is organic...and lethal...so to each their own...just grow fruits that taste good, and aren't radio-active :o :'(     ;)

zands:
Wood chips. They should decompose quick enough in Central Valley. I know it might be difficult to get a tree trimming, stump grinding company to drop them off for you . But this is commonly done in South Florida. Apply as a 6-12" mulch. And let nature take its course. Maybe add some earthworms. Maybe do this 2-3 times. This is very dense biomass....denser than leaves or grass clippings.  AFAIK wood chips are the most dense biomass.  In hot parts of USA they will melt down quickly into black humus. Black due to so much carbon. And carbon is at the center of all organic chemistry and carbon based life forms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version