Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Overhyped avocados

<< < (2/34) > >>

spaugh:
The Jan Boyce,  "the connoisseur's avocado" has to take the cake as the most overhyped avocado on earth!  Flavor is nice on this one.  But it has several issues!  First of all, the tree is lanky and the branches can get sun burn if you live in a hot area.  Also the fruit are not well protected from sun because of the lanky growth and exposed interior of the tree.  That is if it will set fruit for you.  Ive found it to not be reliable at setting a decent crop.  It alternates and also has poor fruit set even after an off year.  It clearly has a high percentage of mexican lineage in its DNA.  Evidenced by the thin skin that cracks at the neck of the fruit when approaching peak ripeness making it vulnerable to rodent infestation and early dropping!  These fruits ripen very early here and start dropping by late winter around February or March and do not hang well on the tree because of the mexican lineage.  It's too warm here for this tree and fruit to do well.  The foliage on this one clearly struggles during heatwaves here and can experience dieback for no apparent reason as well.  I grew 4 of these trees and all 4 exhibit the same poor qualities.

I give this avocado a 5 turd rating.   :D

Epicatt2:
Spaugh, mightn't it be fair to consider that those avo cultivars which you have found to be 'uninspiring' may in some instances just be the result of growing them in your California climate? 

It may be that under different climatic conditions some of those cultivars may produce well and have better flavor.

Notwithstanding that if they are not producing decent fruit for you where you are then you may be right in shovel pruning them.  But your observations on those various cultivars in some instances may be that you are painting them unfaairly with too broad a brush.

Just my 2¢ worth . . .

Regards,

Pau M.
Tampa, FL
Zone 9b
==

spaugh:

--- Quote from: K-Rimes on May 26, 2022, 12:25:26 PM ---Sounds like should just top work my Sir Prize now.

--- End quote ---

Sir Prize, oh boy another overhyped turd.  Yeah it has some redeeming qualities but they are easily outweighed by the negatives.  My Sir Prize trees do set a prolific load of fruit.  But then they take 1 or 2 more seasons to recover from their rediculous fruit set.  Which is funny because other people report no fruit ever.  Mine have the opposite problem, they fruit so hard the branches weap and can break and the sun then burns the weeping wood.  In general the tree has a weak growth pattern and is not well suited to hot locations where sun damage is going to happen regularly.  The trees have weak to no central leader type growth and tend to make one of the worst looking avocado trees I've grown.  The fruit can be good but the quality seems to decline the more fruit it sets.  Fruit size is inconsistent.  They can be very large if theres a low fruitset and small if theres a lot of fruit on the tree.  The seed is small, but the peel is thin which I really am not a fan of.  It really needs to hang on the tree until spring to be good despite what you may read on the internet from various sources.  And by that time hass is also getting good and is just an all around better tree/fruit.  Even the inventor of the sir prize, gray martin has told me the sir prize is a bunk cado.  Never worthy of patententing IMO.  I have 2 of these trees and they perform exactly the same and Im going to chip this asap.  Will top work with gwen. 

spaugh:

--- Quote from: Epicatt2 on May 26, 2022, 12:34:03 PM ---Spaugh, mightn't it be fair to consider that those avo cultivars which you have found to be 'uninspiring' may in some instances just be the result of growing them in your California climate? 

It may be that under different climatic conditions some of those cultivars may produce well and have better flavor.

Notwithstanding that if they are not producing decent fruit for you where you are then you may be right in shovel pruning them.  But your observations on those various cultivars in some instances may be that you are painting them unfaairly with too broad a brush.

Just my 2¢ worth . . .

Regards,

Pau M.
Tampa, FL
Zone 9b
==

--- End quote ---

No  :D

Actually yes and no. 

The ones that are not CA avocados, you are right. Like I have several Hawaii avocados that just dont flower or dont set fruit well. But so far, I have only put CA avocados on the junk list.  These are avocados that do best in CA.

Even some of the CA ones may do better in a cooler area.  But I feel Im giving you quite accurate info for southern CA.  I actually doubt any of the ones on the shit list taste any better anywhere else to be honest.  My location pumps out pretty good avocados.  Some of them are just overhyped!

brian:
Taste wise I can't imagine how Hass could be beat.  When I got a box from you, Brad, they were all equally excellent I couldn't really distinguish.  I don't grow these so I don't know about their productivity, pest resistance, etc.

I feel same way about the mandarins available... they are basically perfect.  If they were any sweeter they would be gross. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version