Author Topic: Peluche Fruit Photos & Loquat Taste Comparision  (Read 3099 times)

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Peluche Fruit Photos & Loquat Taste Comparision
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2022, 12:19:53 PM »
Here’s the photo of Peluche with white flesh posted by Austin Barnhill.  On his Facebook page, he posts a video on April 5, 2020 where Adam mentions at the end of the video that his Peluche is white flesh not orange, but that there is an orange fleshed Peluche as well.  Kaz your Peluche was larger than Austin’s fruit weighing 70.7 grams.

https://m.facebook.com/Barnhill-Farms-Nursery-2283387935009997/

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2022, 12:32:19 PM »
I saw that and the video,but could not confirm with anyone that the ripe fruit has white flesh. Some have told me it could be an unripe fruit where it may look white/yellow especially when the photo/video is taken with a flash, in the night, or depending on the lighting it might look white.

I sent many messages to Austin on facebook and other means, he hasn't replied so I'm not sure if that means they don't have one. No one else so far that has a Peluche fruit says they have any other fruit with the yellow/orange flesh variety.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2022, 12:41:32 PM »
Not sure if my tree is grafted from Austin or Adam’s tree, but I did get it soon after they posted the video.  Should know by next year.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2023, 02:24:05 AM »
This year 2023 Peluche loquat taste report. I have much more fruits on the Peluche grafted branches this year so maybe I can get a better result from my sample taste test.

I did notice that the Peluche fruit will turn slightly yellow at full size fruits, then start to slowly turn yellow to dark yellow when it is fully ripe. One problem I notice is that some fruits will not make it to fully dark yellow skin (ripe) so the taste is inferior to those that actually hangs on the tree until they are ripe.

I'll take some brix reading of the Peluche this year, but I know before I do this, the brix numbers will be lower than last year. All my loquat varieties have lower brix number since it did not get hot here in SoCal as normal years.

I will also show some photos of the largest fruiting loquats that I grow. Here's the ones that I see that are the largest loquats:
1 Peluche, one fruit can weigh as much as 110grams
2. Imperiale (Italy), weigh as much as 100 grams
4. Gulielmo II (Italy)
5. BS-Ester
6. Khaled (newly found seedling tree), can weigh up to 120 grams
7. Vista White, not as heavy but the fruits look large since it has a round/rock like shape. I have one large fruit on my tree so when it ripens next week, I will post all the fruit photos of these loquat giants.

===================================

If anyone has photos and weight of their largest loquat fruits, please post them here and if you know the variety name, identify it in your post.

===================================
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 02:28:01 AM by sc4001992 »