Author Topic: Finding Land in South FL  (Read 2056 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Finding Land in South FL
« on: May 29, 2023, 03:35:27 PM »
So,
I had a dream of getting land down in FL. Just right now, the funds for getting several acres in prime location is just not available to someone like me lol.
So, thing is, is it plausible to find a decent land (1/4 acre) for under 10k?
I found a few places I like, but what is everyone's thoughts on that? It would be bare minimum with no water, electricity, etc.
It seems like inland FL is really cheap. Anything by the coast is too expensive.
Lake Placid seems pretty cool, area looked cheap, and it looks like I could exploit the microclimate of the lakes in the area to be able to grow some stuff (mangoes, bananas, lychee, jabos...)
https://www.landsearch.com/properties/792-amour-dr-lake-placid-fl-33852/2590886
Something like this?
So, can someone tell me am I just going crazy, or is this something plausible? Good idea or super stupid?
What else do I need to consider?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Land in South FL
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 03:58:28 PM »
If you own land you don't live on you have to be able to defend it from squatters, thieves, vandals, dumping, etc.

For what you are describing you might be able to essentially lease somebody's unused backyard
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 04:02:05 PM by brian »

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 04:22:28 PM »
If you own land you don't live on you have to be able to defend it from squatters, thieves, vandals, dumping, etc.

For what you are describing you might be able to essentially lease somebody's unused backyard
I知 not too worried about that, but something to consider
I hope to get it in a decent place so no one thinks of that. Would have to put a fence or something up it would just be trees there anyway nothing valuable.
Looking back at how much I invested to the greenhouse, maybe I could致e just pooled it in a got a nice land in FL😂

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Areas to avoid? Areas to look into?
I want to grow coconuts there
But even that far south I知 doubting cause it痴 so far from the coast😓

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 04:44:35 PM »
If you want good coconut production you'll want to be further south. And yes generally closer to the coast is better.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 05:00:54 PM »
So,
I had a dream of getting land down in FL. Just right now, the funds for getting several acres in prime location is just not available to someone like me lol.
So, thing is, is it plausible to find a decent land (1/4 acre) for under 10k?
I found a few places I like, but what is everyone's thoughts on that? It would be bare minimum with no water, electricity, etc.
It seems like inland FL is really cheap. Anything by the coast is too expensive.
Lake Placid seems pretty cool, area looked cheap, and it looks like I could exploit the microclimate of the lakes in the area to be able to grow some stuff (mangoes, bananas, lychee, jabos...)
https://www.landsearch.com/properties/792-amour-dr-lake-placid-fl-33852/2590886
Something like this?
So, can someone tell me am I just going crazy, or is this something plausible? Good idea or super stupid?
What else do I need to consider?

I am very familiar with Lake Placid. It does have a micro-climate, but anything near enough to a lake to get a significant lake effect will be way more expensive than what you mentioned. I looked at the lot you linked. That is in an old subdivision that never had roads built. The state has bought most of the lots around that property because the native scrub habitat has a lot of endangered plants and wild life (gopher tortoise and sand skink). So, access is limited and you may never be able to build on it (if that is important to you). Technically, there is a platted road there, but I don't know if they would let you clear it without mitigating (buying conservation land for the state in exchange for building rights). You might look at it on the Highlands County Property Appraiser's Office website or better yet, call them and talk to them about it--they usually have a good feel for what things are worth (as much as I hate to admitt that when my tax bill comes, lol!).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hcpao.org/&ved=2ahUKEwi084XyqJv_AhWCRTABHRtXDfQQFnoECBkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3uuHkzFXvISwMzw-BJTHXc

In any case, my advice with Real estate is to never buy anything that you have not seen in person--especially in Florida. I know of a guy who bought 2.4 acres at an auction for just a couple grand. It turned out to be a 30' wide drainage easment with a ditch down the middle.  :o :'(

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 05:34:41 PM »
Plenty of cheap land in south florida, just not anywhere ideal lol. I occasionally scout out of boredom. I say look further south than Lake Placid, everything southwest of Lake Okeechobee would be ideal.
You dont need to be near the sea to grow coconuts or really a body of water even. Main consideration should be an agricultural well that fits the size of land you plan to farm plus your budget.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 05:49:57 PM »
https://media.rff.org/documents/FCO_Infographics.pdf

https://climatecenter.fsu.edu/topics/sea-level-rise#:~:text=In%20the%20same%20area%20around,of%20Engineers%20high%20scenario%20projections.

Might not be a good option in the long-term : / they say the whole bottom third of the state will be affected by rising sea levels
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 05:57:22 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

SunshineState

• Tampa Bay 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 06:17:20 PM »
Yes you could find land for that price but not sure of any zone 10A/B areas. A lot of the places with the cheapest land are in the middle of nowhere Florida zones 8 & 9. Not sure if you would drive or fly down but probably not within 90 minutes of any major airports.

Your best bet for subtropical area in Florida is Pine Island, that just got crushed by Hurricane Ian. It may be 50k or so an acre so maybe you could work something out.

Everybody is moving to Florida with cash. Not sure if you were planning to pay cash or not but land loans are very hard to get from banks. Interest rates would probably by over 10 percent now. 1/4 acre is too small to get a farming loan too.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 07:40:26 PM »
A vacant lot with fruit trees? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you are going to have issues. All it takes is for 1 person to find it. You have heard of how many people have issues with thieves stealing fruit from yards right? It's not just a few ripe ones here and there. They strip the tree and sell the fruit sometimes breaking branches in the process. I wouldn't buy a lot unless you plan on physically being there 75% of the time. You'd need to have a well or be on city water to irrigate. I know some people get the idea that it rains a lot here and it does certain times of the year but we also have long dry spells too. Most trees need some help the first few years they are in the ground especially if they aren't native.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2023, 09:12:50 PM »
Ok, so thank you for the advice everyone.
I talked with my parents and we came to the conclusion that my 1/4 acre in the middle of Florida isn't a good idea lol. First off, I'm worried about frosts (couldn't do coconuts). and second, there is nothing to do within a 1.5 hour drive. lodging would be a pain too.
They'd rather buy a land themselves in a better location with things to do.
I'm eyeing Pine Island now. It's a beautiful place with a great microclimate too. Can grow basically whatever I want.
Now, the main problems are going to be my absence from the land if it ended up happening.
I was thinking of doing a salak hedge or something to keep intruders out.
And I thought I could just plant the trees and leave...but looks like they need to be watered regularly for the first few years.
I was hoping to just spam down a bunch of bananas and coconuts. Top tier fruits and coconuts are always producing. Coconuts seem like it's just plant and forget.
I guess the others may be tougher like mango. Also would have to plant away from the street too.
But still, if I'm only at the land 6 or so times max a year, something could always happen.
That's more than I thought I had to think about :P

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 08:37:24 AM »
I think your best bet would be finding a lot next to someone you already know. Maybe they want to expand too? They could help keep an eye on things and they would already know the neighborhood. Buy land with at least water and electric hooked up so if your family wants to buy an RV they can drop it and stay on the lot when you visit. You could probably find a cheap place to store it outside of town so they wouldn't have to tow it all the way back and forth. I don't think I'd just leave it on the lot because it's asking for a break in. Pay for storage and it's their problem to keep it safe.  Finally, I'd get a property manager. This may be over the top since you are not really renting out a house or anything but they do check on properties of all types. They could check on any irrigation you have set up. It's not that different than having them check on sprinklers for lawns but who knows, they might give you a hard time if its too complicated. I would not grow expensive grafted varieties. Just seedlings until you can be down full time. With seedlings at least it doesn't matter as much and they are hardier anyway. Plus you can graft on to them later.  My opinion for whatever its worth (not much) is to be very strategic about buying. Find the right area, then find the right people to help.  The hardest part will be keeping people away. There isn't much respect for other peoples land. They know mango, banana, avocado and probably jackfruit trees. If they know how much an older Jabo is worth, its a goner. Maybe if you just planted the weird stuff? LOL.  I think coconuts would be okay

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 08:58:35 AM »
Wouldn't the better plan be to actually relocate to florida? Maybe it's unattainable now, but if you start saving now in a separate account, you can get a second job and maybe in 5 years you'll have enough money.  If you own real estate now in TN, you can sell your current property to get a property here and find work in the area.

Jordan321

• Melbourne, Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 09:31:36 AM »
For me, I like the idea of putting an RV on it, getting a management company and throwing it on Airbnb. Then it isn't sitting vacant most of time, deterring squatters and (some) theft. Yes there's strangers on it, but a different clientele, so should be a worthy trade off. Plus the added income opens up your price ceiling a bit.
It's such a hard time to buy here right now.
Note to other natives: yes, I realize that encouraging someone to move here from out of state is against The Code, but I would like to argue leniency in the case of growers. I would trade my newest neighbor for Jabo in a heartbeat. ... Maybe we should institute a draft!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 09:35:09 AM »
I talked with my parents and we came to the conclusion that my 1/4 acre in the middle of Florida isn't a good idea lol. First off, I'm worried about frosts (couldn't do coconuts). and second, there is nothing to do within a 1.5 hour drive. lodging would be a pain too.
I'm eyeing Pine Island now. It's a beautiful place with a great microclimate too. Can grow basically whatever I want.
Now, the main problems are going to be my absence from the land if it ended up happening.
And I thought I could just plant the trees and leave...but looks like they need to be watered regularly for the first few years.
I was hoping to just spam down a bunch of bananas and coconuts. Top tier fruits and coconuts are always producing. Coconuts seem like it's just plant and forget.
I guess the others may be tougher like mango. Also would have to plant away from the street too.
But still, if I'm only at the land 6 or so times max a year, something could always happen.

Im on Pine Island so anything you are looking at just get in touch. Regarding absentee I do know a fellow who planted 1/4 acre mango plot and set up a wireless camera system so he could watch his trees. They are only just planted not bearing yet but he got pleasure sitting in Atlanta admiring his trees on the screen. He eventually sold the lot. It was 13820 Stringfellow Road, you can see it on Google Maps.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 09:37:55 AM »
For me, I like the idea of putting an RV on it, getting a management company and throwing it on Airbnb. Then it isn't sitting vacant most of time, deterring squatters and (some) theft. Yes there's strangers on it, but a different clientele, so should be a worthy trade off. Plus the added income opens up your price ceiling a bit.
It's such a hard time to buy here right now.
Note to other natives: yes, I realize that encouraging someone to move here from out of state is against The Code, but I would like to argue leniency in the case of growers. I would trade my newest neighbor for Jabo in a heartbeat. ... Maybe we should institute a draft!
There may be some areas you could put an RV but other areas that isn't allowed. Don't count on it but they did get lenient in my area but only temporary because of hurricane recovery. The regulations in Florida are ridiculous not at all like Tennessee or other rural states.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2023, 10:27:50 AM »
We have a half acre lot in Lehigh Acres we purchased almost 30 years ago...it does have a paved road and my neighbors have power so I assume it is available...there are a few houses built around my street and the streets nearby my lot.  There is a neighbor across the street from my lot and the guy behind the lot has a small house and he had tons of fruit trees in his yard he is growing, lots of different types of fruit trees that I saw. Lehigh Acres is very close to Fort Myers, Naples and Cape Coral...the lots there still seem to be very reasonable and we get offers often in the mail from people or land brokers that want to buy our lot but they are low balling me Lol...we will sell it eventually when the price goes up a little...

Good Luck Jabo, hope you find the land you are looking for...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 10:59:35 AM by puglvr1 »

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2023, 01:05:57 PM »
Wouldn't the better plan be to actually relocate to florida? Maybe it's unattainable now, but if you start saving now in a separate account, you can get a second job and maybe in 5 years you'll have enough money.  If you own real estate now in TN, you can sell your current property to get a property here and find work in the area.
Would love to, but I知 only in high school now. Still got college and whatever other further education after that. So I知 guessing like 10+ years from now.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2023, 01:36:32 PM »

Im on Pine Island so anything you are looking at just get in touch. Regarding absentee I do know a fellow who planted 1/4 acre mango plot and set up a wireless camera system so he could watch his trees. They are only just planted not bearing yet but he got pleasure sitting in Atlanta admiring his trees on the screen. He eventually sold the lot. It was 13820 Stringfellow Road, you can see it on Google Maps.
Thank you! I知 planning on looking at the area this summer when I come down. I値l hit you up!

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2023, 02:08:38 PM »
We have a half acre lot in Lehigh Acres we purchased almost 30 years ago...it does have a paved road and my neighbors have power so I assume it is available...there are a few houses built around my street and the streets nearby my lot.  There is a neighbor across the street from my lot and the guy behind the lot has a small house and he had tons of fruit trees in his yard he is growing, lots of different types of fruit trees that I saw. Lehigh Acres is very close to Fort Myers, Naples and Cape Coral...the lots there still seem to be very reasonable and we get offers often in the mail from people or land brokers that want to buy our lot but they are low balling me Lol...we will sell it eventually when the price goes up a little...

Good Luck Jabo, hope you find the land you are looking for...
Thanks! I'll definitely take a look into that area also.
Seems like a nice place also.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2023, 02:12:38 PM »
So my parents said they would be down to get an acre of property somewhere down south. So maybe Pine Island or somewhere around there. In turn, I could plant anything I wanted to there lol. Maybe something can work out.
Plan on visiting several places this summer. They took a look and Pine Island and for what it seems to be, looks very promising.
It's always been a dream of mine to grow coconuts so maybe it can come true quicker than I thought.
Plus the proximity to many things to do is a plus compared to the random land out in the florida wilderness.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2023, 02:30:11 PM »
If you don't actually want to move to Florida, you can buy land where you do live and build greenhouses.  That is what I am doing.  Obviously it costs much more and is more restrictive than growing outdoors in an appropriate climate, but moving can itself be expensive and isn't always realistic.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2023, 03:03:47 PM »
If you don't actually want to move to Florida, you can buy land where you do live and build greenhouses.  That is what I am doing.  Obviously it costs much more and is more restrictive than growing outdoors in an appropriate climate, but moving can itself be expensive and isn't always realistic.
I'm done with growing in greenhouses. It's too expensive and restricting for me.
No way I could be doing what I am doing without the help of my parents. Now, I break even, but the return is not good enough for me. One large mango tree in FL easily makes 100x more fruits than I do in a whole year.
I'm going to move to FL first chance I get, but as a high schooler it may be a while still. Understandably, not everyone can move to FL due to their job or other factors, but I hope I will be given that opportunity someday in the future and will work to make it happen.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2023, 04:51:10 PM »
Oh I didn't realize you were trying to turn a profit.  Yes, definitely greenhouses are not the way to go then :)

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2023, 05:45:56 PM »
Oh I didn't realize you were trying to turn a profit.  Yes, definitely greenhouses are not the way to go then :)
Not really in for a profit, but hoping to get a decent amount of fruit LOL.
But still, what we do as growers up north never ceases to amaze the folks down south ;D or so they say

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2023, 06:27:29 PM »
This is out of my depth but aren't prices for home insurance drastically increasing year after year from insurers in Florida?