Author Topic: Sweetest pineapple?  (Read 30291 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Sweetest pineapple?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
That's right Zands. A properly ripened fruit from a store bought pineapple top is pure heaven.  It's probably one of the most overlooked fruits we can easily grow.  I've got a Costa Rica twistee started.  Not doing so hot but is improving.  Had some inner leaf rot going on, probably because of the cold.  Here's what I do - twist (not cut) the top off.  Carefully pull off about 3-6 bottom rows of leaves which exposes the root nubs.  Let dry on the counter for a day or so.  Plant in a well drained soil and stake or cage.

Galka, they're tropical meaning they need very strong light.  If you have a south facing window during the winter it might work out better for you.

I like your logic on this. That the commercial growers are not going to go with varieties that are not strong, productive and taste good. Do you remember the white acidy pineapples we used to get in the USA? We started getting these new golden pineapple varieties about 15 years ago. I could be wrong but seems the new golden pineapples are all Central American grown. Their agricultural research and plantations paid off so well that Hawaii no longer exports many pineapples. Central America took over at least in the Eastern United States.

Anyone from California......where do your pineapples come from? Central America? Asia?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »
Anyone from California......where do your pineapples come from? Central America? Asia?
Mostly from Costa Rica. I don't know where to find pineapples from other places.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »
Mostly from Costa Rica. I don't know where to find pineapples from other places.
Thanks! I saw Costa Rica on the pineapple crate- box the other day but have seen other Central American nations on boxes too.
_________
http://en.centralamericadata.com/en/article/home/Figures_on_Pineapple_Exports_in_Central_America
Figures on Pineapple Exports in Central America
In 2015 Costa Rica continued to lead the export of fresh and dried pineapples with $822 million, followed by Honduras, with $26 million and Panama, with $22 million.
Monday, November 28, 2016
inShare

Figures on the Pineapple market in Central America, compiled by the Business Intelligence Unit at CentralAmericaData.com, show that in 2015 the countries of Central America exported a combined total of 2 million 13 thousand tons of fresh or dried pineapple, equivalent in value to $871 million.

China Authorizes Imports of Pineapple from Costa Rica
Thursday, March 16, 2017
With the phytosanitary approval granted by China an opportunity has opened up to sell fresh pineapples in one of the markets with the greatest growth potential.
Twenty pineapple producers have already expressed their interest in exporting pineapple to the Chinese market. Now that the phytosanitary permit has been obtained exporters have an opportunity to start looking for counterparts and begin selling the fruit.

Costa Rica: Preparations for Pineapple Exports to China
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
There only remains a technical visit to be made by Chinese authorities in order to complete the evaluation process and start exporting pineapples to China.
Estimates by the SFE indicate that there are 20 companies interested in exporting pineapples to China.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:37:53 PM by zands »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »
The trashy old sour cayenne was a good one for canning and does well in subtropical (which is the same zone as warm temperate) but times have changed. In my area people have long preferred the rough leafed queen types and now ask for Mareeba gold by name and the low acid sweet and improved selections. At least one is a rebadged Hawaiian type.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 07:36:40 AM »
http://vazhakulampineapple.org/pineapple-varieties/
If there are only a few basic lines I bet all the good low acid ones getting around now were derived from the Hawaiian golds and queens (such as ripleys). There was much fanfare here when a coconut flavoured one was released

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »
Easy to grow= like weed natal queen always very good to me perfect acid x sugar ratio.What good is sweetest without balance just wish they were bigger but you could eat  most of the core . Just sweet ? taste like bag of sugar.Think mangosteen without acid balance or lemon zest mango= not to great

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »
Our grocery pineapples are now from Costa Rica.   Hawaii will be next.

Change gears, ya'll probably have heard me diss Cali. and Florida citrus fruit in favor of Texas citrus.  For some reason (harvest ops? ) Texas fruit is richer, more juicy.  Perhaps it's the sour orange rootstock, terroir....don't know.  Am eating valley grapefruit now, $4.00 for a big bag of 15# plus that has a brix of 11.  Sections are large and even, come out like butter with a grapefruit spoon.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »
http://vazhakulampineapple.org/pineapple-varieties/
If there are only a few basic lines I bet all the good low acid ones getting around now were derived from the Hawaiian golds and queens (such as ripleys). There was much fanfare here when a coconut flavoured one was released
Mike T, I came across the article about the coconut-flavored pineapple and was wondering id it was ever released. Did you have a chance to taste it? Do you have the actual plant? I would love to have this one in my collection. Also, can't find the Queen.  :(

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »
Easy to grow= like weed natal queen always very good to me perfect acid x sugar ratio.What good is sweetest without balance just wish they were bigger but you could eat  most of the core . Just sweet ? taste like bag of sugar.Think mangosteen without acid balance or lemon zest mango= not to great

Can I ask for a slip/sucker or two?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 11:04:39 AM »
I've seen Queen in a Korean supermarket. 1 top survived out of 4 through the winter. Hopefully it rooted.
You're talking about the ones sold as mini pineapples, right? It even says 'queen' on the box.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
I want all these varieties. A coconut flavored pineapple sounds interesting. I wish I had Brix readings for all these different varieties. I'm ok as long as the pineapple is considered one of the best tasting, but the title of this thread is "the sweetest pineapple". For those of you wondering why I'm so obsessed with the sweetest pineapple, it's because I feel that there is a strong correlation between high Brix levels and quality of fruit. Yes, a plain cup of sugar water is boring and is super sweet but pineapples will naturally have some acidity to balance out the sugars.

If you don't believe what I'm saying, I challenge you to order a Meli Kalima from Frankie's, order it in Summer, and compare it to what you consider to be the best tasting pineapple. You'll get the picture in short order. I appreciate all the input from everyone. Tastes are so subjective and I know most people don't have refractometers but I personally feel that they are absolutely worth the expense as a rare fruit enthusiast. They only cost about $30 for a Chinese model and you can start tracking the quality of fruit as the season progresses.

The same variety of fruit is not always the same quality and Brix level. The first fruits wether it's mangos, loquats, cherimoya, etc generally start out with lower Brix and quality is considered lower. The main season fruit tend to have better sugar acid balance with an increased Brix level of several points. Commercial orchards use Brix readings to determine when to harvest fruit.

In reality, what I'm really trying to do is to create something similar to the Meli Kalima. I have already decided to use the White Jade as one of the parents because of its low acidity, good flavor and lack of spines. I want to minimize the number of traits I'm requesting from forum members suggestions so I'm focusing on Brix as this is easily measured. Quality is highly subjective and people often say variety X is super sweet and excellent tasting but how sweet was it really? Perhaps it was perceived as sweet when in reality it was perceived as sweet because it was low acid.

I am still extremely interested in what forum members consider the best tasting even if it's subjective. There is little information I can find on the internet and beggars can't be choosers. Thanks again for all the suggestion, I hope people don't take it the wrong way. I apologize if I sound argumentative, I just want to explain my reasoning why I'm focusing on one trait(Brix). Breeding is extremely difficult for professionals so imagine a backyard hobby grower wanting to experiment with a cross or two. I have to focus on one trait at a time and hope for a lot of luck along the way.

I've never tasted a Meli Kalima before but my good friend has and it changed him. He started wanting to grow pineapples after he tried that variety but he can no longer eat regular store bought pineapples.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »
I've seen Queen in a Korean supermarket. 1 top survived out of 4 through the winter. Hopefully it rooted.
You're talking about the ones sold as mini pineapples, right? It even says 'queen' on the box.

I completely forgot about the mini pineapple! I remember eating one a long time ago and it was. Dry sweet with good sugar acid balance. Hmm, the mini crossed with a White Jade could be awesome. Thanks Fang!

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
The little pineapples I bought were pretty acidic. I chose the most ripe ones I saw. Descriptions online say they're sweet, so maybe these were not ripened properly. I wanted to grow them to see how good they can be. Plus they might look good in small pots.

They were gone the following week so I couldn't get any more. At checkout they actually charged me $1 for 3.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »
Our grocery pineapples are now from Costa Rica.   Hawaii will be next.

Change gears, ya'll probably have heard me diss Cali. and Florida citrus fruit in favor of Texas citrus.  For some reason (harvest ops? ) Texas fruit is richer, more juicy.  Perhaps it's the sour orange rootstock, terroir....don't know.  Am eating valley grapefruit now, $4.00 for a big bag of 15# plus that has a brix of 11.  Sections are large and even, come out like butter with a grapefruit spoon.

Texas citrus is all eaten in Texas...so it seems to me. A while back I was in Texas during springtime and earlier  and ate Texas citrus. It was very good.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:19:59 PM by zands »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »
Fang, those aren't the tiny sweet pineapples I'm thinking of. The ones I'm talking about can be found at vons and are super small. I'll see if I can find some next time I go shopping. I'll take a Brix reading of any pineapples I sample so that we can get a baseline. I believe I read somewhere that most store pineapples are around 15-17% Brix.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
I take that back Fang, those are the same ones I was thinking of, the picture makes them look really large. I saw them at Vons but they were all over ripe although they smelled really good. I didn't purchase any this time, I'll wait for a new shipment as these had fungus and rotted out cores.

As you can see on the tag, these are also labeled as Queen

Simon

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »
If you don't believe what I'm saying, I challenge you to order a Meli Kalima from Frankie's, order it in Summer, and compare it to what you consider to be the best tasting pineapple.

I haven't tried this yet, but when I was at Frankies for about 20 mins, there was no less than 6 cars that came looking for this. Its pretty popular.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-21/passion-for-pineapples-pays-off-for-pinata-farms/8138020
Queens are the class of rough leafed pineapples with small eyes and there are lots of varieties like ripleys.They can be large or small.Mareeba gold is just an improved gold line that started in Hawaii.I have not been able to get any coconut variety to try.Compared to the pineapples I ate in Thailand the local ones around here are better and sweeter.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »

There are new and sweet types coming out all the time for commercial growers.I have seen those small ones here and are mainly grown in backyards.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »
Mike, I wish we could get the Mareeba Golds here. Australias agriculture is expanding and pushing the envelope by breeding new varieties and bringing in new varieties like the seedless Lychees.

After some consideration, I decided I will not attempt to cross the White Jade with another high Brix variety. It would require too much research and space to achieve anything worth the effort involved. Pineapples grow slower in my cold climate and each generation will take much too long to grow to flowering.

My original plan was to cross the White Jade with an ultra sweet variety, grow out a few seedlings and then back cross to the White Jade. I would need a lot of luck to get anything decent tasting as I know nothing about pineapple genetics.

I'm still interested to hear what everyone feels is the best tasting sweet pineapple is but I'm betting heavily that it's probably the Meli Kalima.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »
I purchased this Tropical Gold Pineapple grown in Guatemala and cut it open to get a baseline Brix reading of the typical store bought Pineapple here in SAN Diego. The bottom of the fruit was noticeably sweeter with a Brix of 15%. The middle of the fruit had a Brix of 14% and the top had a Brix of around 13%.

Oscar thanks for the tip regarding the White Sugarloaf. I ordered a couple fruit to sample and will give a Brix reading as soon as I cut the fruit open. I know that the pineapples are not at their peak right now, peak season is around September from what I saw on YouTube. I'll take that into account when I sample the White Sugarloaf as the Brix will likely be several points below its peak when picked in warmer weather.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »
If they're grown in the southern hemisphere, maybe it is peak season over there. They could just be harvested under ripe.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 12:26:24 AM »
Because the White Sugarloaf is low acid, I believe it will still taste good. I'll post pictures and tasting results once the pineapples arrive. There is a backorder and it could be 2-3 weeks before they ship the fruit.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »
If they're grown in the southern hemisphere, maybe it is peak season over there. They could just be harvested under ripe.

They are.

If I remember correctly my twistees (which were harvested gold) came in a 18*.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 09:12:05 AM »
The White Sugarloaf I ordered is grown on Kaua'i so I'm crossing my fingers.

Here is a brief article talking about how the Meli Kalima was created. http://fluxhawaii.com/frankie-and-the-fruit-factory/

It appears it is a cross between a Hilo White and a dry sweet.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk