Author Topic: Annona grafting onto evergreen Asimina species?  (Read 593 times)

Dewberry

• Manor, TX zone 8b
    • View Profile
Annona grafting onto evergreen Asimina species?
« on: January 26, 2022, 04:34:42 PM »
I read on this forum that someone tried grafting some Annona species onto an Asimina Triloba, but the plant died when pawpaws go dormant for the winter.

The internet says that that most Asimina species are evergreen, although the famous Asimina triloba pawpaw is deciduous.

So I wonder, would it be possible to expand Annonas' hardiness zones by grafting them onto evergreen Asimina species?

Of course, I don't know if the evergreen Asimina species are much hardier than Annonas, and at least some of them are just shrubs. I'm having a hard time finding information about most Asimina species, even about which of them are evergreen.

What do you all think?

Dewberry

• Manor, TX zone 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Annona grafting onto evergreen Asimina species?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 06:43:02 PM »
C'mon guys, I want your opinions even if you don't have the facts. This was my first post on this website.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 06:55:57 PM »
I planted a bunch of pawpaw seeds to experiment with root stocks for annonas.
I wouldn't think rootstock would be the way to impart much more cold tolerance. Maybe at borderline areas it could be useful.
Like soursop on Montana.
Hybridization would be the way to go if I had to guess

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 07:18:06 PM »
Years ago I had a huge Paw Paw (Asimina triloba) which was a seedling from Corwin Davis.  Great fruit, quite productive.  I also had many kinds of annonas.  So seeing similarities in the flowering I tried pollinating the annonas with Paw Paw pollen, and conversly, the Paw Paw with annona pollen.  Obviously genetic variability kept me from any success.  Not so much a a hint of a fruit set.  I tried for a couple of years, but moved on.  My experience should not preclude anyone from attempting this as strange hybrids exist as a result of intent and/or accident.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 04:13:08 AM »
So I wonder, would it be possible to expand Annonas' hardiness zones by grafting them onto evergreen Asimina species?

Of course, I don't know if the evergreen Asimina species are much hardier than Annonas, and at least some of them are just shrubs. I'm having a hard time finding information about most Asimina species, even about which of them are evergreen.

What do you all think?

Not the best time for me to give some links a little sleepy for the past 30 hours

I have memorized the Asimina species in Alphabetical order  (excluding a few hybrids)
I made a new post here
will get those links sometime

If you search here some grafts took but no one followed up on the results.
that is all I can tell you at this moment.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=46267.0
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 05:00:50 AM by Francis_Eric »