Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620780 times)

Quill

• US, HI/ West Maui, 12
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1750 on: May 30, 2023, 10:24:02 PM »
Aloha from West Maui,

Moved here recently from Western WA where I tended a temporate orchard.  I'm on a smaller lot now which has three citrus: 1 lemon, 1 lime and a third unknown.  I am not sure of the varieties. My first additions will hopefully be a pomegranate and a Cara Cara orange.  I used to graft so hoping to add on varieties as I am able to find.  I will plant some mango and papaya seeds and hope for the best and will try to graft the mango over.  Are there any members from Maui?

A big Mahalo to all those who are involved in making this the excellent site it is!

pg

• Mobile, AL 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 10, 2023, 08:22:20 AM »
Hi all,

I'm in Mobile, AL right now but have always been in the Gulf Coast area, and constantly try to grow stuff not suited to my zone  ;D.
Last couple of years have wiped out most of my good stuff, lost my mango and starfruit, and even most of my citrus trees got killed this past winter, and a medium size in ground loquat  :-\. All I've got hanging on are a bunch of pineapples and a monstera.
Lately I've been planting a bunch of mango and avocado seeds (we'll see how that goes in a few years), and trying to find some mildly more appropriate fruits for zone 8b. Stuff like loquat (again), prickly pear, pindo palms, and anything else sort of tropical-ish but at least ostensibly hardy. Also trying to figure out if I can stuff some pawpaw trees in my back yard, and replace the hedge out front with pineapple guava. Seems like yards are never big enough.  ;D

Lostkeys

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: June 10, 2023, 01:59:55 PM »
Hello,

I’m Mac, and I’m an attorney in the Florida Keys where I live with my wife and three kids. I started growing tropical fruit around 2008 and never looked back. It’s as much of an obsession as it is a hobby now. Below is my current list of fruits:

Miracle Fruit
Carambola (Kari)
Acerola Cherry
Dragon fruit (I’ve grown over 30 varieties)
Guanabana
Sugar Apple (Na Dai)
Mango (one unknown, Little Gem, Pickering)
Jaboticaba (unknown)
Coconut Palm (green)
Loquat (Premier)
Jackfruit (Gold Nugget)
Avocado (Wurtz)
Mulberry (Everbearing)
Bananas (unknown hybrid, Blue Java, Dwarf Nam Wah)
Pineapple (white and yellow fleshed)

Dahen

• 9b grant Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: June 25, 2023, 10:15:02 PM »
Hey everyone I’m Dave . I live in grant Florida zone 9b on very open windy land and the first things I’m planting are fruit trees . I currently have                     
12ish mango varieties
12ish dragon fruit
2 bananas
Sugarcane
Barbados cherries
Jamaican cherries
2 peaches
2 plums
2 apples
Sugar apple
Soursop
Custard apple
3 jaboticaba
Cherimoya
Ice cream beAn
Figs
Coffee
Vanilla orchids
2 navels
Lemon
3 avacodos
Loquat
Starfruit
Pineapples
Persimmon
I’m sure I’m forgetting a few but that’s probably most of it

Lurcha

• Perth, Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 06, 2023, 09:34:13 AM »
Hi everyone I’m Luke, I’m from Western Australia and have often browsed the threads of this forum and thought it was time I joined. I have a young but growing collection of trees  although I’m pretty much out of space 😆
I have a bit of a soft spot for garcinias but have a varied collection of trees with the biggest challenges being the hot dry summers here and the ancient sand which I’m planting into. At least the soil can be worked on but not much I can do about the weather other than creating micro climates. It can be challenging to get certain varieties of trees here and even harder for named varieties but I’m slowly meeting people with the same passion/obsession and building my collection with better stock. I look forward to learning more and hopefully being able to contribute!

fishie

• USA, CA, Diamond Bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: July 09, 2023, 02:23:22 AM »
Hello, I am Lucas and started gardening and growing trees last year. Have gotten into more rare varieties so finally started an account to buy seeds and whatnot. Thanks for having me!
- Lucas

Sunil71

• INDIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: August 02, 2023, 05:14:01 AM »
Hi All,
I am Sunil from Kerala, India. started to grow common tropical fruit trees recently like Mangoes, Sapotas, Bananas, Abui, Rolinia, Jaboticaba, Guavas, Forest Guava, Strawberry Guava, Gooseberry, papayas, Milk fruit, Coconuts, Mangostein, Rambutan, Pulasan, Miracle fruit, Curry Leaf Trees. Joined your Forum to see the results of growing tropical fruit trees abroad especially in temperate climates , arid area and in areas of snow, regards, Sunil 

Fort Pierce JD

• Teasure Coast
    • View Profile
Hello folks!
« Reply #1757 on: August 05, 2023, 06:23:34 PM »
Hi fruit tree lovers!
JD is my handle. I live in Fierce Pierce and I love my Mango and Avocados, I would love my lemons and limes, but they always decline on me after 3 years or so.
I have about 4 of each of the bigger trees, and 4 var. of bananas. I'm a novice, and learn as I go. I work in the construction industry, and looking forward to retire in 5 years.
 Thanks to the Stihl company, I've turned my wooded pine and oak messy lots in to an edible one.
So, that's my intro, and I'm looking forward to sharing what I can with you all. :)

passionate4nature

• East Bay, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: August 07, 2023, 06:47:55 AM »
Hi,
Passionate4nature is my handle. I live in CA East Bay. I love my Avocados & Lemons. I'm a novice, and learn through lots of reading, books, and experts such as yourself. Grafting interests me most.

Simple_Jack

• uSA, Florida, PSL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: August 13, 2023, 12:05:06 AM »
Salutations my fellow fruit tree fanatics!
got into gardening and graphing as a way to distract myself from life's issues and the illness and lost of love ones fairly recently. Helps me escape and focus on life and positives. Got into avocados and mangos big time. Find it totally relaxing checking on their progress daily. Love to listen and learn from some of the legends out there and being that my back ground is in IT, I love doing research on the subject.
So far, at Simple_Jacks modest grove I have:
7 mango varieties and growing
Lemon Zest
Coconut Cream
Sweet Tart
Ice Cream
M-4
Sugarloaf
Orange Sherbet &
an Orange Essence that I just picked up today!

Avocado Trees I have 4 and growing
Simmonds
Choquette
Monroe
And A large seeding tree that produce 3 fruit this yr for the 1st time!

I try staying organic as much as possible, just my preference. And treat my soil with micro nutrients which they all seem to absolutely love and respond to. I look forward to sharing my journey, experiences and few photos with you all.   

« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 09:48:59 PM by Simple_Jack »

Cptcatz

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: September 20, 2023, 08:18:54 PM »
Hi everyone.  I live in Boca Raton, FL and have the following in my backyard:

Alphonso Mango
Pickering Mango
Coconut Cream Mango
Honey Kiss Mango
Silas Wood Sapodilla
Makok Sapodilla
Pace Mamey Sapote
Soursop
Yellow Jamaican Cherry
Golden Nugget Jackfruit
Oliver Loquat
Namwa Banana
Grimal Jaboticaba (in a pot)
Three Fig trees in pots
lots of pineapple plants

I keep up with my gardening on my youtube channel.  Here's my most recent mango tree video update: https://youtu.be/3fyzTiUTa68?si=0OuicHEC5lKgAxQ6

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: September 20, 2023, 08:52:47 PM »

Alphonso Mango
Pickering Mango
Coconut Cream Mango
Honey Kiss Mango
Silas Wood Sapodilla
Makok Sapodilla
Pace Mamey Sapote
Soursop
Yellow Jamaican Cherry
Golden Nugget Jackfruit
Oliver Loquat
Namwa Banana
Three Fig trees in pots
lots of pineapple plants

I keep up with my gardening on my youtube channel.  Here's my most recent mango tree video update: https://youtu.be/3fyzTiUTa68?si=0OuicHEC5lKgAxQ6

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I am interested to hear your opinion of the golden nugget jackfruit.  I have this type also but mine has just started flowering and not fruited yet

Cptcatz

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: September 20, 2023, 09:25:22 PM »

Alphonso Mango
Pickering Mango
Coconut Cream Mango
Honey Kiss Mango
Silas Wood Sapodilla
Makok Sapodilla
Pace Mamey Sapote
Soursop
Yellow Jamaican Cherry
Golden Nugget Jackfruit
Oliver Loquat
Namwa Banana
Three Fig trees in pots
lots of pineapple plants

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I am interested to hear your opinion of the golden nugget jackfruit.  I have this type also but mine has just started flowering and not fruited yet

I've had the jackfruit tree for about 3 years, it's like 10 feet tall, and still hasn't flowered.  How old and big is your tree?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: September 23, 2023, 11:35:10 AM »
Mine is 4yrs I think, I prune it 10ft because it reaches the ceiling fans in my greenhouse. It would be absolutely massive already if didn't prune it.  The trunk is around 4in diameter now.

CapnKirk

• USA, Southern California, Thousand Oaks, Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Woodturning, Lathe, & Hobby Page
« Reply #1764 on: September 23, 2023, 08:40:32 PM »
Mango Tree: I'm Mike, have been living in the same house in Thousand Oaks for 27 years or so. Now retired, with a 1/2 acre backyard & slope covered in fruit trees. I started my mango tree from a Kent mango bought at Costco 36 years ago and planted the seed in a movable box in our old home in the San Fernando Valley right after my son was born. Every winter I would bring the box into the garage to keep warm at night, and when we moved to our current home, I finally planted it. The transplanted tree grew from 4 feet tall to 25 feet, but I did cut it back many times. After transplant I covered it with a giant plastic bag & kept it warm with a 100-watt incandescent bulb on cold nights during winters. When the tree grew too large for bags I built a wooden 8-foot-tall shelter around it, which again was covered with plastic and warmed during winter nights. The tree grew out of that large shelter, so I built a 2nd story over it, eventually adding a wooden floor on joists. (ALL outdoor wood was treated wood with all cut ends coated in Copper Green; everything was put together with metal hangers & screws, no nails.) In just a few years the branches & leaves filled the 2nd story, so I opened up one section of the translucent plastic roof and allowed the tree to grow up through that, as well as grow out the sides. Although it did occasionally produce fruit, we did not get significant amounts of fruit on it until 3 years ago. Deep watering once a week seems to help a lot. Photos attached include mango flowers, mango fruit (medium size, small seed, minimal fiber, great taste), looking up at Mango Tree House, the ladder from the 2nd to the 3rd floor of Mango Tree House, and my wife seated on the bench inside Mango Tree House. Inside is 10 feet by 10 feet and very roomy. I posted a YouTube video in 2021 of the inside of the tree house, starting on the 2nd floor, at https://youtube.com/shorts/cveQkwldcK8?feature=share

Muttonmike

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: September 26, 2023, 03:57:16 PM »
Hi all, my name is Michael and I’m a private fishing guide. I have recently fallen in love with the growing process and the idea of having a fruit garden. I especially love jaboticabas but also have an assortment of other Plinias as well as some garcinias and Eugenias. I’ll be the newbie that’s asks dumb questions from time to time. I’m looking forward to learning from all of you.

hin00n

• United States, CA, Bay Area, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: September 29, 2023, 03:13:21 PM »
My name is Jack. I'm a college student who studies biology. I live in the Bay Area, and also enjoy video games, cooking, and baking.

sfbay-southfacingslope10a

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: October 01, 2023, 11:49:13 PM »
Excited to be here. Started gardening about a year and a half ago with a strong focus on perennials and have been getting into tropical and other uncommon fruits lately. Here are some of the things I have planted in ground: 8 fig trees, guavas, mangoes, sugarcane, 6 banana, ice cream bean, goumi, pineapple, lemon, and strawberry guavas, 4 passionfruits, kumquat, blood orange, almonds, stone fruit, apples, paw paws, cherimoyas, white sapote, persimmon, pineapple, 4 grapes, 6 kiwi, longan, soursop (greenhouse), 3 avocado, chestnuts, elderberry, currants, blackberry, strawberries, russian olive, autumn olive, yerba mate, blueberries, papayas, and some native trees that came with the house.

JorgeJF

• Mid Atlantic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: October 05, 2023, 11:45:13 AM »
Hi to all,
Living in a small island in the middle of Atlantic. Climate is very soft, not too hot in summer, not cold in winter, little precipitation all over the year, except for late autumn and early winter. Being a mountainous island there is nevertheless plenty of water condensing on tops and channeled through irrigation channels.
I am starting now a small project with several species and varieties.
A good part of them I wanted to be litchi. But there is very little (or none) local experience with the species.
Shall post later to ask information about this.

cryptantha

• Lakewood, CA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: October 16, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »
Greetings everyone! I have recently discovered a whole new world of mangoes and found this forum extremely useful so I decided to join. I recently purchased Nam Dok Mai, Carrie, and Mallika trees from some local nurseries. I look forward to seeing them grow and hopefully produce some fruits.

Cheers…Jet

maxwell

• Germany 8a/ Spain 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: October 19, 2023, 08:32:43 AM »
Hi Guys, my name is Max and I am originally from Germany, however I recently bought a little plot in southern Spain, close to Valencia (with lots of old citrus trees, obvioulsy) and would like to start a little collection orchard of Mediteranean as well as Sub-Tropical Fruit in the near future. My interest in Sub-Tropicals only started I think 3 years back, before I was VERY invested in collecting fig trees and trial (successfully) them here in Germany. From there my interest expanded to pomegranates, persimmons, chestnuts, loquat, citrus, avocado, mango... I suppose most go through such a phase.
Now, here is my (kept short for the not so tropical fruits) list of fruit trees:

• 150+ Ficus Carica varieties
  • 30+ Punica Granatum varieties
  • 40+ Castanea Sativa/Mollissima/Crenata/Dentata and their hybrids
  • ~200 Citrus => I think it should be mostly ORTANIQUE (Citrus reticulata Blanco x Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck)
  • Avocado varieties: Joey, Mexicola, 2nd Red, Aravaipa, Duke (NOT Duke-10), Royal Wright
  • Loquat: Rose Anne

My goal is to collect as many Fig, Pomegranate, Avocado, Mango, Litchee cultivars as I can find. Some Citrus (regraft some larger trees to multi-cultivar trees) and Loquat cultivars won't hurt either.
Also I want to trial date palms (phoenix dactylifera - in vitro cultivars though) and Jabuticabas as a side thing.

I hope to get to know some other people in southern Spain and Portugal.

So, that's it and thanks for listening to my pep talk  :P
Max

dolomis

• okeechobee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: October 26, 2023, 01:39:17 AM »
What an amazing forum! Glad i ended up here somehow...

My name is Chris, Ive always had a passion for fruits. I grew up in Jamaica being exposed to quite  few unique fruits i would say sparked my interest very young. I really do enjoy playing in the dirt when im out there amending the soil and doing random things all for the love of my plants. I live in an area with iguanas currently so most of my babies are in a screened area by the pool... Which also helps with some pests and others like squirrell.
I will be moving to okeechobee soon enough with lots of weeding  and bushwacking of 6 acres ahead... no screen there and lots more to worry about like grasshopper/locust, deer and rabits.. Dont know what im going to do for my defensive approach yet..
Heres a list of whats in my collection
Keitt
Coconut cream
rose apple
wax apple
star cherry
kwai muk
longan
star apple
rollinia d
pink wampee
figs Marseilles, Panache, Kadota
strawberry guava
calamansi
banana
avocado
papaya
achacha *that is currently dying
peppers and more

Thanks for having me!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: October 26, 2023, 10:25:06 PM »
Welcome Chris! If you like the outdoors, I think you will love living in Okeechobee.

dolomis

• okeechobee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: October 27, 2023, 12:21:20 PM »
Thnakyou! I do love the outdoors, hoping to land a job in some outdoor recreations. Im excited to move and looking forward to that new chapter.

xesoteryc

• NorCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 02, 2023, 11:14:44 AM »
So excited to have finally made it here. Been browsing for years, literally. I finally got the site to register me, for some reason it wouldn’t register my input for “Latin avocado” it was beyond frustrating.