Author Topic: Growing Mango trees in Southern California  (Read 182927 times)

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mango trees in Southern California
« Reply #875 on: June 05, 2023, 01:19:33 AM »
can haden mango be a good root stock for SoCal? like to topwork after 5 years or so... I think it's a vigorous growing tree, but not sure in Socal. :-\

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 05, 2023, 10:24:58 PM »
I used Haden as rootstock and it grew fine for me but every location can give different results because your microclimate and soil can be different. Haden, Tommy Atkins, and especially Kent did well for me as rootstocks. I would recommend planting as many different types of mango seeds as you can get your hand on and you’ll eventually find one that grows vigorously for you.

Simon

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 07, 2023, 02:12:29 AM »
I used Haden as rootstock and it grew fine for me but every location can give different results because your microclimate and soil can be different. Haden, Tommy Atkins, and especially Kent did well for me as rootstocks. I would recommend planting as many different types of mango seeds as you can get your hand on and you’ll eventually find one that grows vigorously for you.

Simon
Thank you Simon,
Mike

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 08, 2023, 03:56:14 AM »
Picked up Alphonso mango shipped from India from Indian store. Beautiful colored mangoes Excellent tasting may be little fibers.
Thinking about growing them. Anyone like to grow? it won’t be an Alphonso, just  to try and may be to top work later.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 10, 2023, 12:41:36 PM »
If you mean the seeds, I don't think they will grow.

I've grown the tree and it's a vigorous mess.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 10, 2023, 12:56:21 PM »
Picked up Alphonso mango shipped from India from Indian store. Beautiful colored mangoes Excellent tasting may be little fibers.
Thinking about growing them. Anyone like to grow? it won’t be an Alphonso, just  to try and may be to top work later.

Usually these mangoes are irradiated and seeds don't sprout!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 10, 2023, 03:42:46 PM »
I agree with Oolie, it can grow vigorously but in my yard, it was very prone to fungal diseases like Powdery Mildew. It would set heavy blooms but only produce a few fruit. Some years, I got nothing. You will need good air circulation or a good spray regiment if you want to grow Alphonso. You may want to consider Angie, Carrie, ValCarrie although these have a different flavor profile. Kesar performs better than Alphonso when I was growing them.

Simon

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 11, 2023, 12:44:08 PM »
If you mean the seeds, I don't think they will grow.

I've grown the tree and it's a vigorous mess.
Yes! Trying to grow the seeds. It just generated root, let’s see  :-\

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 18, 2023, 03:51:42 PM »
Can hot water treated mango seeds of Kent /haden /manila from Mexico grow?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 18, 2023, 08:16:13 PM »

Yes, but you can also find non hot water treated from Mexico, and they grow well too.

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: June 25, 2023, 01:39:30 AM »
Yes, but you can also find non hot water treated from Mexico, and they grow well too.
Where can you find it? All stores around OC area have only Hot Water Treated Kents.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 25, 2023, 12:38:10 PM »
In the past Sinaloa was granted an exemption due to being free of the fruit fly.

You'd have to check around and look at the boxes.

Looks like it's not all of Sinaloa, just Los Mochis which experiences a later season than the rest of the region.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 12:51:05 PM by Oolie »

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 16, 2023, 11:17:32 PM »
can anyone suggest good fertilizer for mango trees?
all have diffent NPK ratio and sulfur.  For example Arizona's Best citrus have 12% sulfur and others have 1-3% most of socal soil ph is 7+ and  fertilizer with sulfer good? or adding separately is good?
Thanks,
Mike

Elijah

• United States, California, San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 17, 2023, 12:16:10 PM »

I bought Ataulfo and no name (red and green color), usual store mangoes ( is it Haden?) from a Mexican store and both of them sprouted. I put them into pots and an Ataulfo is putting out leaves.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 17, 2023, 04:02:38 PM »
all have diffent NPK ratio and sulfur.  For example Arizona's Best citrus have 12% sulfur and others have 1-3% most of socal soil ph is 7+ and  fertilizer with sulfer good? or adding separately is good?
Thanks,
Mike

The best answer is it depends. If you have heavier soil you will need to add less N and K, and if you have lighter soil you will need to add more. Lighter in the sense that it drains more easily/ holds moisture less.

Being that the trees are being grown in an arid clime, and likely on municipal water sources, the pH is going to climb at some point, and the easiest way to address this is with sulfur. In this case elemental sulfur is the usual choice, as when water is added it begins to dissolve and convert into the highly acidic sulfuric acid, which helps to lower the pH of the water and help balance the pH of the soil. The ultimate goal is to keep the soil pH below the high 8s in order to keep the micronutrients soluble and ready for roots to absorb. If the pH climbs, you will see interveinal cholorosis, which is a common condition, and somewhat detrimental for mangoes. The issue with mangoes in dryer areas like the west is that they produce very few vegetal flushes per year, and those leaves last for up to three years, so having poorly formed leaves which will never improve over time is a huge detriment. If you want pictures, check the mango diseases thread, there's usually a few pics within a page or two.

You will find N and K to be the Macronutrients required to sustain the trees, and Ca will be necessary once fruiting begins, but you may start adding it early, the solubility is poor, so it sticks around. The best form is gypsum, which is readily available, and has a balanced pH which will not worsen the condition of the soil (for micronutrient uptake).

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 17, 2023, 10:31:33 PM »

I bought Ataulfo and no name (red and green color), usual store mangoes ( is it Haden?) from a Mexican store and both of them sprouted. I put them into pots and an Ataulfo is putting out leaves.
got 3 Kent plants from hot water treated. Not all sprouted. May be I will try to grow few Ataulfo/Manila. Also heard Tommy grows well in SoCal. Trying to grow may be 10 total.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 06:31:46 PM by love_Tropic »

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 17, 2023, 10:33:06 PM »
Thanks,
Mike

The best answer is it depends. If you have heavier soil you will need to add less N and K, and if you have lighter soil you will need to add more. Lighter in the sense that it drains more easily/ holds moisture less.

Being that the trees are being grown in an arid clime, and likely on municipal water sources, the pH is going to climb at some point, and the easiest way to address this is with sulfur. In this case elemental sulfur is the usual choice, as when water is added it begins to dissolve and convert into the highly acidic sulfuric acid, which helps to lower the pH of the water and help balance the pH of the soil. The ultimate goal is to keep the soil pH below the high 8s in order to keep the micronutrients soluble and ready for roots to absorb. If the pH climbs, you will see interveinal cholorosis, which is a common condition, and somewhat detrimental for mangoes. The issue with mangoes in dryer areas like the west is that they produce very few vegetal flushes per year, and those leaves last for up to three years, so having poorly formed leaves which will never improve over time is a huge detriment. If you want pictures, check the mango diseases thread, there's usually a few pics within a page or two.

You will find N and K to be the Macronutrients required to sustain the trees, and Ca will be necessary once fruiting begins, but you may start adding it early, the solubility is poor, so it sticks around. The best form is gypsum, which is readily available, and has a balanced pH which will not worsen the condition of the soil (for micronutrient uptake).

Thank you 🙏🏻 for your reply and suggestions

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 03, 2023, 05:31:14 PM »
Disinfecting mango seeds...
Quiet recently when trying to sprout Mango seeds, Stuck with mold/fungus issues, it spreads from one seed to others… For vegetable seeds, normally used Hydrogen peroxide to soak for about 15 min, will it help Mango too? I was told Bleach can help. (like 2% bleach)  Did anyone used bleach? Any other better process?
Mike
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 11:37:47 PM by love_Tropic »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 03, 2023, 06:55:52 PM »
Quiet recently when trying to sprout Mango seeds, Stuck with mold/fungus issues, it spreads from one seed to others… For vegetable seeds, normally used Hydrogen peroxide to soak for about 15 min, will it help Mango too? I was told Bleach can help.  Did anyone used bleach? Any other better process?
Mike

I've never had that issue. I use a steak knife on the fuzzy side of the seed pod, saw till I get a good size crack, use my thumbnails to open, rinse the seed off and put it sideways in soil - I don't think I've ever failed to germinate a mango using this method.

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 03, 2023, 11:37:03 PM »
Quiet recently when trying to sprout Mango seeds, Stuck with mold/fungus issues, it spreads from one seed to others… For vegetable seeds, normally used Hydrogen peroxide to soak for about 15 min, will it help Mango too? I was told Bleach can help.  Did anyone used bleach? Any other better process?
Mike

I've never had that issue. I use a steak knife on the fuzzy side of the seed pod, saw till I get a good size crack, use my thumbnails to open, rinse the seed off and put it sideways in soil - I don't think I've ever failed to germinate a mango using this method.
for me too it worked with all "hot water treated mango" from mexico, unfortunately the LZ from FL had mold and it spread to other seeds...  :'( :'( :'(  may be I handled the seeds without sanitizing my hand during wetting paper towel...  :-\
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 11:41:57 PM by love_Tropic »

CapnKirk

• USA, Southern California, Thousand Oaks, Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Woodturning, Lathe, & Hobby Page
« Reply #895 on: September 23, 2023, 09:40:33 PM »
I live in Thousand Oaks, California. By keeping my Kent mango seedling warm during winters by keeping it overnight in the garage, later a plastic bag with 100W incandescent bulb, & even later a large wooden structure with plastic sides & winter warming power source. I started the seed in a cup of water when my son was born 36 years ago, and now the tree is 25 feet tall or so and growing out of the top & sides of its 2-story wooden structure. I had also placed plastic bottles full of water to keep the soil warm around the tree. The base diameter is around 18 inches now, and we do get nice fruit from it. I stopped having to keep it warm during winters around 5 years ago. Photo is looking up through roof at growing mango, plus mangos on a branch of the tree.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 26, 2023, 08:44:09 PM »
I live in Thousand Oaks, California. By keeping my Kent mango seedling warm during winters by keeping it overnight in the garage, later a plastic bag with 100W incandescent bulb, & even later a large wooden structure with plastic sides & winter warming power source. I started the seed in a cup of water when my son was born 36 years ago, and now the tree is 25 feet tall or so and growing out of the top & sides of its 2-story wooden structure. I had also placed plastic bottles full of water to keep the soil warm around the tree. The base diameter is around 18 inches now, and we do get nice fruit from it. I stopped having to keep it warm during winters around 5 years ago. Photo is looking up through roof at growing mango, plus mangos on a branch of the tree.

Wonderful, how does it taste?

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 17, 2023, 02:17:43 PM »
My Coconut Cream mango is very close to being ready maybe I will pick within the next week.I let this tree hold fruit back in 2021 and it was delicious. I gave it a rest year in 2022 to allow for more vegetative growth and resumed fruiting this year.

I look for the following characteristics to let me know it’s ready: brown stem, lenticels dark and visible, smooth skin, color change from green to yellow, and presence of sugar beads.

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 19, 2023, 12:55:07 AM »
If anyone wants cheap, cheap, cheap mango trees in the Inland Empire of SoCal....

Check out the going out of business sale at the Santa Ana Nursery in Bloomington, CA.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/santa-ana-nursery-bloomington

Call them ahead of time to check.

It's a small mom and pop style operation, and had 30+ mango trees in 5 gallon and 15 gallon containers when I went last week.
The deal is in the price -- the 5 gallons were $15; and the 15 gallons were only $45!!!

They told me they had criollo, corriente, kent...not entirely sure on the accuracy of the varieties but was stoked to find so many, for so cheap.

Alippincott

• United States, CA, Ventura, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 19, 2023, 10:46:23 AM »

Wow I love your mango tree house. I live in Moorpark and planted a bunch of seeds. The weather records show it hardly gets below 40 here. I hope they live as long as yours! I don't know if I will be as dedicated during the winters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk