Author Topic: Wanted: California Pepper Tree (Schinus molle) Cuttings  (Read 1300 times)

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Wanted: California Pepper Tree (Schinus molle) Cuttings
« on: August 05, 2022, 09:00:40 PM »
Hey forum fam,

Call it impatience, but I'm not having great luck getting my cali pepper tree seeds germinating. I read this tree propogates very well from cuttings, as such, I am looking to purchase a good few to ship to Ft. Lauderdale. Anyone with connections in FL with this plant would be great too. Help me out southwest gardeners!

Open to trades too if you're looking for some tropicals. Let me know, thanks!

- Dan

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: California Pepper Tree (Schinus molle) Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 06:28:58 AM »
I have an involuntary tree growing behind my house by the street. I am pretty sure it is still there.  I am away and will not get back until early September.   I could send you some for the cost of postage.  Let me know.  Pm me first week of September
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:33:33 AM by Lovetoplant »

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 10:56:39 AM »
Thanks a ton! If I don’t have any cuttings by then I will definitely message you. Much appreciated.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 01:29:06 PM »
I have some very large trees and can send you some cuttings.

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 07:40:01 PM »
Hey forum fam,

Call it impatience, but I'm not having great luck getting my cali pepper tree seeds germinating. I read this tree propogates very well from cuttings, as such, I am looking to purchase a good few to ship to Ft. Lauderdale. Anyone with connections in FL with this plant would be great too. Help me out southwest gardeners!

Open to trades too if you're looking for some tropicals. Let me know, thanks!

- Dan

I have to ask. Why?

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 09:40:15 PM »
Why what?

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 01:13:37 PM »
Why what?

Not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but I'm genuinely curious why you would want that plant?

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 05:05:58 PM »
I am a big fan of the pink peppercorn they produce. Additionally, Its a fast-growing and relatively sturdy tree that looks similar to the weeping willows I used to have at home in Illinois, which I do not see many of down in South FL. Probably a pretty niche request but glad to have gotten some cuttings to propagate. Hope that answers the question!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 05:54:11 PM »
its a nice tree, I planted a few around for shade.  they are very popular here.  Jacaranda also. 

they get huge though just an FYI. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 05:55:46 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 06:30:08 PM »
Jacaranda are gorgeous but I definitely don't have space for more trees. I'm working with a ton of pepper tree cuttings from a CA forum member and trying to see how they'll do in different-sized pots once rooted. Last thing I want to do is introduce another large, aggressive spreader in this region.

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 10:22:38 PM »
I am a big fan of the pink peppercorn they produce. Additionally, Its a fast-growing and relatively sturdy tree that looks similar to the weeping willows I used to have at home in Illinois, which I do not see many of down in South FL. Probably a pretty niche request but glad to have gotten some cuttings to propagate. Hope that answers the question!

Those trees are allelopathic. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone from California chimes in saying they will send you a garbage-bag full of sweepings from their driveway. Should be enough for a few thousand seeds. Back in Santa Barbara, our neighbors had one that overhang our Hass Avocado. It finally got too tangled with their telephone wires, so they decided to cut it down. Our family practically threw a party. The following year, the stunted Hass had an explosion of growth like never before. In our neighborhood the more noxious S. terebinthifolius was a really common street tree. As you know, both are poisonous, but the S. terebinthifolius had a stronger scent and I remember removing some once during a landscaping job and getting a splitting headache from smelling those trimmings.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 10:28:08 PM by agroventuresperu »

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 11:13:49 PM »
Interesting... not a mention of allelopathy regarding the species until I googled it specifically, I appreciate the heads up. Wish there was more information out there regarding its effects on natives and non-natives, a few of the available studies I read had some conflicting information. Regardless, as I mentioned, I'm trying to keep these guys small + potted, and especially isolated. I really just want to harvest my own pink peppercorns, not cause any ecological nuisance.
I certainly won't make the mistake of purchasing or growing any Brazilian peppertree. I believe they are noxious weeds in this state and can't be grown, cultivated, etc.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 12:04:47 PM »
I think keeping in a pot is maybe overly ambitious.  Its a large tree.  You will need very large pots to get it to make seeds. 
Brad Spaugh

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 01:34:40 PM »
I'm in agreement with Brad, these trees get huge and FAST.  I have cut down two separate trees at two properties where I have lived.  The roots are invasive and have a tendency to break underground irrigation lines and a sewer line at my previous property as they search for water.   They are the perfect tree for southern CA since they can survive off very little water.  To this day, I still have trouble growing anything in the area they previously occupied.  Kinda like planting where eucalyptus has grown and dropped leaf litter. 
That said, I can see why you would want the peppercorns.  Even with the hassle they caused, I still miss crunching on the pink peppercorns right off the tree.  Fresh, I thought they had a hint of sweetness as well.
Good luck with your cuttings!

GrowInFlorida

• Aventura, FL - zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2022, 03:41:47 PM »
you can go to literally any park or an abandoned lot in Florida and harvest your own pink peppercorns during the season (mind it, both BPT and the molle type are mildly toxic) from a vast number of overgrown invasiveness. They are everywhere, the state paid LOTS of money to tree cutters to get rid of them, but they are still around.
Probably the best thing for a recent transplant from other states would be to take a Master Gardener course, every county has them, here in Miami-Dade it's free, I heard that in Broward it's $400. they teach you lots of state specific (and even county-specific) research-based information, and it helps a lot to start working with nature instead of trying to recreate Illinois here in FL, to prevent common transplant mistakes trying to grow things against all odds that are not meant to be grown here and waste your time and money...  I know i've been there. Learned a LOT in the MG program,  and learned to control my persistent urge to try things from out of state...  Good luck.

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2022, 04:15:43 PM »
I appreciate the information everyone! I will state that I am only doing this as an experiment of sorts, successful in pots or not I don't really care. If its a success Ill be happy, but Im not planning on putting any of these in the ground, for the many reasons stated throughout this thread. I could search for the tree out in those empty lots but that really isn't my intention with this project lol.
As for the master gardener courses, Ill look into it, thanks for the suggestion. I will clarify I am not recreating IL in Florida, the majority of my yard is filled with common tropical and subtropical plants grown in this region/zone. I was just answering the questions as to why I like and want the pink peppercorn tree in particular, one reason being the willow-type structure that reminds me of the weeping willows. My primary reason, however, is the peppercorn. There is nothing particularly special about the Midwest I can think of that I would want to grow here anyways.
Thanks again for the advice everyone.

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 03:00:27 PM »
you can go to literally any park or an abandoned lot in Florida and harvest your own pink peppercorns during the season (mind it, both BPT and the molle type are mildly toxic) from a vast number of overgrown invasiveness. They are everywhere, the state paid LOTS of money to tree cutters to get rid of them, but they are still around.
Probably the best thing for a recent transplant from other states would be to take a Master Gardener course, every county has them, here in Miami-Dade it's free, I heard that in Broward it's $400. they teach you lots of state specific (and even county-specific) research-based information, and it helps a lot to start working with nature instead of trying to recreate Illinois here in FL, to prevent common transplant mistakes trying to grow things against all odds that are not meant to be grown here and waste your time and money...  I know i've been there. Learned a LOT in the MG program,  and learned to control my persistent urge to try things from out of state...  Good luck.

Seems about half the species on earth are "invasive" species in Florida.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 04:41:59 AM »
Pepper Trees are very tough here in Australia, often the last thing around old farm houses that are long gone.
You might investigate seed stratification or abrasion to germinate them.
They pop up here in spring after a wet winter.
Just spent the last week or so cutting them down from here, height issues for planned roadworks. Not really my choice, but time they went maybe ??
Great shade trees but messy with leaf litter.