Author Topic: What kind of citrus was the best to taste?  (Read 4189 times)

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of citrus was the best to taste?
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2022, 12:19:58 AM »
Wow!  How would you describe the difference that makes Yosemite stand out?

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2022, 11:05:54 PM »
I recently ordered a Page mandarin citrus tree because of its reputation as being one of the best tasting mandarin varieties. We shall see.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2022, 01:54:21 AM »
Temple oranges and Minneola Tangelos.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2022, 01:41:30 AM »
I really love Improved Meyer Lemons. I'm not usually a lemon fan, but they were so good I had a little straight. I didn't have the opportunity to have more because hubby and lo ate the rest quickly.

Cara Cara oranges have a nice almost floral taste. When the grocery store has them I always get several. I'm having trouble with the plant just not growing. Hopefully next year will be the year it takes off.

Meiwa kumquat (pretty sure that was the variety) is very sweet/sour and juicy. I love the taste of these.

If I could only have 3 citrus it would be these.

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2023, 07:16:28 AM »
The US 88-2 has so many names it's hard to keep track.  I got it when it was called Lee&Nova from it's parentage.  Then it was Super Nova and now it's US Superna.  Next year it'll be called something else.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 10:25:34 PM by snowjunky »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2023, 05:53:46 PM »
I can go along with CFG and pick PAGE, as it makes the best orange juice.  Cara Cara for the best fruit.

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2023, 06:12:19 PM »
Does anyone have a suggestion of which brands sell the best Cara Cara? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a box from Pearson Ranch? Every single one I've tried here in Canada is not only mediocre, but actively unpleasant — and I will happily choke down under-ripe minneolas and near-rotting dekopon and eagerly eat yuzu, bergamot, and citrus with intense funk out of hand. I feel like I must just be missing something! Pretty much the only thing I don't find some enjoyment in are are dry, low-acid, and under-developed blood oranges, which are insipid and grainy — and Cara Cara. Is there a critical time of year for ideal ripeness?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2023, 06:22:09 PM »
I have not found a clear pattern, but I agree with you those most batches of cara cara from grocery stores are very poor, and only rarely are they good, but when they are good they are very good. 

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2023, 03:00:38 AM »
My favorites are Cara Cara and Noble Juicy Crunch Tangerines. This was my first year trying the tangerines and I was really blown away.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2023, 05:34:25 AM »
My favorites are Minneola variegated ( less acid than regular one), Dekopon,  Sunbokan lemon (tastes like sweet lemonade), Meiwa sweet Kumquat  and Centennial variegated (when ripe, not green, love the taste), Pineapple orange.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2023, 05:37:42 PM »
Have to agree with Cara Cara and Orlando. 
Many fellow AZ gardeners say Cara Cara is not as good in AZ probably due to navels being less tolerant of desert climate. 
So I planted a CC under (too much) shade a few years ago. It grew very slowly and is still only 4ft tall. 
It finally produced 5 oranges this year and they were surprisingly sweet and flavorful.  Makes me wonder how good when the tree is full grown.
They were better than most of my full grown tree oranges under full sun.  The only slight negative was they were less juicy than the other oranges.
Orlando here is very sweet, juicy and full of flavor.  Like Valencia, it's great for juicing, not good for peeling.  Better than Minneola by a desert mile.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »
Steve, I like the Cara Cara orange, its different and tastes very good. But as you mentioned it does not have as much juice as other navel oranges I'm growing.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2023, 07:51:06 PM »
That's good to know Kaz.  The supermarket Cara Cara are juicier but less tasty than mine. 
Tarocco is fantastic also.  Sweet, tender flesh and thin section membrane, low rag and a rich blood orange taste.  May be the best blood orange imo.