Author Topic: Multiple yuzu & pomelo varieties @ California grocery store  (Read 549 times)

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
Multiple yuzu & pomelo varieties @ California grocery store
« on: November 26, 2022, 03:12:06 PM »
I'm at Tokyo Central in Torrance CA (3832 Sepulveda) and they seem to have two types of yuzu. Unsure if they're named varieties or just the result of two different growers selecting different seed-grown trees for cloning. Also, two types of pomelo and three types of mandarin for sale.

Library card (standard credit card dimensions) for scale

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple yuzu & pomelo varieties @ California grocery store
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 04:47:05 PM »
That's cool to see! Also the Kishu. I've been to our Chinatown part here in Antwerp, but never found anything besides normal lemons and limes. Maybe I should check again now at this time of the year.

They sell Yuzu juice here at 100 €/L (in small bottles) and the dried zest at 1000 €/Kg if I remember correctly. I also found some yuzu candy, Yuzu beer, and maybe something else but I might not remember. The candy was good, the beer not so much.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 05:15:01 PM »
I wish my local grocery stores had such a great selection of interesting citrus. I've seen Murcott tangerines for sale before; they are sold under the name Honey Tangerine. But, I've never seen yuzus, kishu mandarins, satsumas, or any type of pomelo other than Chandler for sale. You're lucky you live near a good, specialty grocery.

Also, Murcott is not a mandarin. It is technically a type of tangor and a very old variety originally propagated from a chance seedling that sprouted in the 1910s in Florida.

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 09:45:30 PM »
The South Bay region of Los Angeles County has a vibrant population of Japanese Americans and Japanese nationals, Torrance in particular (where the store is located). 

The South Bay region generally has some old Japanese farming history, because it was one of the few places where non-citizens could own property before World War II. Torrance specifically is where a number of major Japanese companies have chosen to set up their United States headquarters (although some of those companies have relocated in recent years). As a result of all this, the only US city with a higher concentration of ethnic Japanese people than Torrance is Honolulu. This has resulted in market demand for what are essentially recreations of Japanese grocery stores, as well as a number of fantastic Japanese restaurants.

I've found some really cool stuff for sale. Actual wasabi root, sudachi, fresh ogo, luxury fruit (for example: crown melons), etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk