Author Topic: Are Ice Cream Mango trees or cuttings available in Australia?  (Read 679 times)

Isaac98

• Newcastle, NSW, Australia USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
One of my good friends found out about that variety and we tried looking for it online before but we couldn't find any in Australia. I know its possible to try getting permission to import one from elsewhere but biological controls in Australia are very strict (I understand why though) which is why I ask. I don't really know how to do that either.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Are Ice Cream Mango trees or cuttings available in Australia?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 12:18:05 PM »
In Fl, this cultivar is falling out of favor due to disease susceptibility, poor fruit set, and splitting. Where you are is even hotter and wetter if you're at low altitude, so maybe consider a similar but more hardy variety. The recommendations as far as I've read would be Indian cultivars Imam Pasand, or Alampur Baneshan/ Banganapalli.

If you can find any of these available in your region, you might consider them.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 02:24:44 PM »
In Australia there are several Tropical Fruit research stations in Nth Qld that hold Mango varieties. Not sure about access to propagation material.
https://www.rarefruitaustralia.org/2005/11/28/gene-pool-branches-out/
I think Ayr in Nth Qld researches Mango.
The Rare Fruit Council would be a good starting point to track down unusual varieties.
I think Daley's Forum had a post with a list of Mango varieties in Australia.

Isaac98

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 07:08:36 AM »
In Fl, this cultivar is falling out of favor due to disease susceptibility, poor fruit set, and splitting. Where you are is even hotter and wetter if you're at low altitude, so maybe consider a similar but more hardy variety. The recommendations as far as I've read would be Indian cultivars Imam Pasand, or Alampur Baneshan/ Banganapalli.

If you can find any of these available in your region, you might consider them.
True; but we think it'd be okay since pruning diseased foliage along with hand pollinating their flowers can be done, fly screens tied around young mangoes to stop insects damaging them, Mango diseases not being very common here, and potentially using what you suggested as rootstocks for them. I appreciate those concerns though.

Also, thanks for mentioning the other Indian cultivars! They could be available in Australia since both countries were ex-British colonies.

Isaac98

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 07:11:58 AM »
In Australia there are several Tropical Fruit research stations in Nth Qld that hold Mango varieties. Not sure about access to propagation material.
https://www.rarefruitaustralia.org/2005/11/28/gene-pool-branches-out/
I think Ayr in Nth Qld researches Mango.
The Rare Fruit Council would be a good starting point to track down unusual varieties.
I think Daley's Forum had a post with a list of Mango varieties in Australia.

Does the Rare Fruit Council  own the website you showed me? If it does, I don't think they exist anymore since that website's dead but I'll take a look at Daley's Fruit Forum though.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 01:43:29 PM »
Yes the article is old, more for info about the Fruit Tree research stations in FNQ, ( FYI ).
The archives might be good to back track varieties you are looking for.
Here is a FB page for RFC in FNQ, now called Rare Fruit Australia.
https://www.facebook.com/fnqrarefruitaustralia/

Steely

• Humpty Doo, NT, Australia, 0836
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 06:04:11 AM »
I have started collecting Mango varieties and I have searched the internet for many many hours and I am aware of no one that has the Ice Cream Mango variety. It would be very difficult from a quarantine perspective and prohibitively expensive to get these newer varieties sent over from the USA. If you are after any of the newer Zill varieties than the only ones available in Australia are those that are polyembryonic and have been sent over as seed. Fortunately some of the very best varieties are Poly. Coconut Cream, Cotton Candy, Honey Kiss, Sweet Tart and M4 all of these are available from a couple of mango enthusiasts. The other way to get some of the newer varieties are by buying budwood from the Walkamin Research Centre in Queensland. I have quite a few of them but they are nearly all at the seedling stage. Best of luck. PS Do you have many different mango varieties yourself? 

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 02:05:47 PM »
It might be worthwhile listing the qualities that attracted you to the ice cream mango, and then using the brain trust to find the most similar tree that is available here. I know it’s hard to overcome the grass-is-always-greener mentality of the perennial collector, but the reality is unless you are planning on ripping everything up every 5 years, you’ll never keep up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk