Author Topic: Reed Avocado Seeds as Roostock ?  (Read 1495 times)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Reed Avocado Seeds as Roostock ?
« on: November 22, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
Who has used Reed avo seeds as rootstock ? Im looking for long term results, like how fast growing, are they able to be grafted onto faster than average seeds? How strong of root system do  they have ? Do they seem resistance to rootrot, and last how do they compare to Zutano or Bacon seeds used as rootstock ? Ive got a few reed seeds sprouted now, appear to grow a very long trunk but still way too small to graft unto yet.

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
Re: Reed Avocado Seeds as Roostock ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »
Avoman in OZ Reed is used commercially as a rootstock & nurseries pay Aus $1 per seed...... With a good potting mix they can be grafted at appox 12 inches in height..... Used far more than Zutano & Bacon..... Mike

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 11:56:23 AM »
Good to know mike thanks for info i had no idea they are used commercaily just assumed most big outfits were using zutano, zutano is what ive mainly used myself seem pretty good and fairly strong and fairly fast grower. My reeds over 24 inches tall in 5 months but still seem too small diameter to have grafts take well, i will wait till spring to try ive had too many grafts fail from trying to graft too early, ive heard very good report queen avo seeds is a good seed to use as its a fast grower been told.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »
I took this picture of year old reed seedlings that I have planted and will top work in spring.  You will have much better growth and graft success if you put the rootstock in the ground and let it grow for a while then graft it the right time of year.  This tree is about 6ft tall from a little over a year.  You can chop this down and graft it and the graft will grow back to that size in a few months.

Heres another one thats only 6 months old.  This one had a failed graft over summer.  Ive got a lot of reed seedlings planted as rootstock.  I can graft them in spring.  It doesnt hurt to have them get big.  Its not wasting any time etc by having them already planted out then top working later.  The tree is developing a good rootsystem and makes grafting very easy.  And the scion will explode since it already has a large rootsystem. 

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:16:39 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »
Ya thats some fast growth for reed seedings they must really like being in ground there and no way i could get that fast of growth keeping in pots even a large pot i couldnt do it. Ya letting rootstock grow that big before grafting must have some super strong push when the new graft comes.you ever try queen seeds yet i would like to try a few if i can ever get some.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 09:59:20 PM »
Never tried queen.  I dont let them get that big intentionally.  Its just that they can get that large if I wait for the correct time of year to do it.  My results are almost 100% takes if I do the grafts during March and April.  Outside of that, grafting success goes down the toilet.  Its quite hot where I live.  Guys living in cooler areas closer to the ocean can do avocado grafts later into summer without issues.  I would have liked to have grafted a lot of these trees when they were smaller but it wasnt the right time of year so its better to wait.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:01:06 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »
Since almost all my grafts i do in the house i have had good sucess august to nov but also march and april as long as i dont try to graft too young/small of a seedling,but grafting older seedlings the take goes way up.Now all i need is a good grafting tool, i do it all by hand but i dont get the straightest cuts at times.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 03:50:18 PM »
Im getting 5 reed seeds shiped to me out of cal soon so i get to test if storing in fridge for 5 months maintained sprouting ability and also going to try some bottom heat see if that improves sprout rate percent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk