Author Topic: Grumichama  (Read 43676 times)

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Grumichama
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 06:09:10 AM »
Yes the large tree in the field fruits every year in the spring got over 300 fruit one year. we save the seed it flowerd in the fall twice but did not hold much fruit. I fertilize in the field four times spring thur summer. dont fertilze nov thur feb  dont want any tender growth for winter

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:36:42 AM by TREESNMORE »
Mike

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2012, 01:00:16 AM »
My understanding is that grumichama seed need to be planted asap to get a decent germination rate. I would also soak overnight and nick with a file.

EGHADS DO NOT NICK ANY EUGENIA SEED

My first ever grumi was a heavy fruiter in hilo hawaii

i love them  i have 8 x  20-35 year old fruiting trees and they all taste the same... like a mild blueberry

mod edit: fixed quote
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:30:48 AM by murahilin »
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »
Recher - Do you have any general rules of thumb for when and how to soak/nick/scarify? My germination techniques could use improvement, so I would certainly appreciate the guidance.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »
 @Hollywood ,

I got Grumichama seeds from Paul Recher's trees , they arrived after 30 plus days kinda dehydrated , soaked them in water overnight , planted ...that's it...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2012, 12:16:56 AM »
Recher - Do you have any general rules of thumb for when and how to soak/nick/scarify? My germination techniques could use improvement, so I would certainly appreciate the guidance.

To require scarification /nicking the seed must have an impervious seed coat. In other words 'soft' seeds like Eugenia, Garcinia obviously no nicking.

okay hard shell... well Annona and Pouterias have a hard shell but don't need nicking so any guides to hrs shelled seed differentiation. Nothing definite but if the species comes form a year round climate of precipitation the seeds are far less likely to need nicking. Scarification is to trick nature. Dry climate seeds with hard shells more likely. Some genera arecmore likely like Leguminacea to require nicking
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »
I think this large cherry is a keeper also found some yellow fruit.I will post on the nursery list under TreesNmore

Mike

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »
I have a grumichama that's probably 15 to 20 years old. I really like it. It requires little to no maintenance (I've never ever fertilized it.) The wood is tougher than steel. At 20 foot tall, it took wilma's beating  without losing a branch. It grows straight up in the air like a telephone pole, so it fits in nicely in tight spaces. Given the vertical growth and super strong wood, you could almost use it as a wind break (if you have the patience to wait for it to grow to 20 foot tall :-). The only drawback is that it's does seem to like a lot of water. When mine goes 2 weeks without rain, the leaves will start to droop. The fruit will also get worms if you let it sit on the tree long enough. But, it's nice that it fruits in April, when not much else is available.
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
I have a grumichama that's probably 15 to 20 years old. I really like it. It requires little to no maintenance (I've never ever fertilized it.) The wood is tougher than steel. At 20 foot tall, it took wilma's beating  without losing a branch. It grows straight up in the air like a telephone pole, so it fits in nicely in tight spaces. Given the vertical growth and super strong wood, you could almost use it as a wind break (if you have the patience to wait for it to grow to 20 foot tall :-). The only drawback is that it's does seem to like a lot of water. When mine goes 2 weeks without rain, the leaves will start to droop. The fruit will also get worms if you let it sit on the tree long enough. But, it's nice that it fruits in April, when not much else is available.

Amen to that.  They are very shallow rooted and are the very first tree in my yard to show drought stress.  And that, remember, is with mucky soil and a water table that is found about 4 feet under the surface.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
Jeff
How is the yellow one I gave you last year. Mine are fruiting now early
Mike

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2013, 08:34:02 PM »
Quoting Hauss : They are very shallow rooted and are the very first tree in my yard to show drought stress.  And that, remember, is with mucky soil and a water table that is found about 4 feet under the surface.

If this is true about the very shallow roots it should be doable to transplant 4 meter trees , they are getting shaded by my Mabolos , first like Mike and Bmc do cutting them down to 1 to 2 meter ? Correct me if I am wrong guys . On the other side I can afford to lose a few since I have now 8 fruiting . All taste the same , no difference in quality .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2013, 09:32:36 PM »
My experience with grumichamas is different from others.I consider them a moderately deep rooted specied with moderate drought resistance.They certainly are deeper rooted at my place than jaboticabas,mangosteen or limes and less prone to toppling over in high winds than the species I mentioned.I would hate to try and dig my yellow one up.

They do enjoy a good haircut and grow back profusely.I reckon they should be pruned with an iron fist.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »
I finally planted it out yesterday :-). My wife liked the fruit of your yellow one more than our dark red / purple fruited tree. I can't remember if there was a difference or not.

Jeff
How is the yellow one I gave you last year. Mine are fruiting now early

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »
It's strange, because the rootsystem of mine is indeed deeper than jaboticaba. Wilma caused my grumichama to lean at 15 degree angle. I later tried to return it to perpendicular with the ground by using my car to pull, but it was an exercise in futility, as the darn thing would not budge. My jaboticaba however, toppled with ease.

In my experience, the jabo is shallower rooted than the cherry rio grande, which is shallower rooted than the grumichama.

I stopped 'hat racking' my grumichama, as that just caused it to shoot right back up in the air. Now, I've been using a different pruning technique where I cut out branches from the bottom. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm talking about.

Ok, I couldn't find a picture online, so I'll take this opportunity to show off my exceptional MS Paint skills:

The hat rack style prune make my grumichama grow really fast. The selective full branch prune seems to slow down the re-growth.

I hate pruning the darn thing because my chipper shredder can barely cut through the wood.

My experience with grumichamas is different from others.I consider them a moderately deep rooted specied with moderate drought resistance.They certainly are deeper rooted at my place than jaboticabas,mangosteen or limes and less prone to toppling over in high winds than the species I mentioned.I would hate to try and dig my yellow one up.

They do enjoy a good haircut and grow back profusely.I reckon they should be pruned with an iron fist.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:55:55 PM by Cookie Monster »

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »

My Grumichama Seedlings

Yellow Grumichama Seedlings Sprouting.

Black Grumichama Seedlings.
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »
Mine is getting ready to bust-a-move with flowers!

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »
Here is one of my grums from about a week ago.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
Mine from last week, with more on the way. Spent awhile just watching the honey bee, it seemed to be having a grand time in all the flowers.

DM

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2013, 05:52:40 PM »
The grumichamas seem globally synchronized as mine were also at that stage of flowering a week ago. Now they have small grumis and a very few mature ones.
Oscar

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2013, 09:40:47 PM »
Nice photos!   I expect mine to open up the flowers soon.  What a spectacular looking bush when that happens!   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2013, 12:35:45 AM »
I find myself taking more photos of grumichama than almost any other plant. It's a very photogenic tree.
Oscar

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »
Nice photos Oscar! One of my favorite plants!
Ed

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49:08 AM »
Beautiful pic's everyone! ;)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »
Flowers opened up today!

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2013, 08:51:36 AM »
Went out this morning.  Wow. Very aromatic.  Smells like jasmine. 

Pollinator on a scouting mission:

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:13 AM »
Going in for the kill...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk