Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 59595 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #475 on: March 11, 2023, 11:27:05 PM »
All my grafted on M Californica last year all died including rootstocks.  All of them were doing great for about 1/2 year and suddenly all died.

This year I grafted all them on M Cerifera. 

Hi Kaz,
Please update us on how is graftes on M Pennsylvania doing. 

Thanks,
Al
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 11:29:19 PM by pinkturtle »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 12, 2023, 12:28:53 AM »
Al, I'll let you know the status in 6 months since I'm now grafting most of mine on M Pennsylvania.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 12, 2023, 02:14:34 PM »
All of my grafts that have lasted are on M. californica.  I've got about 5 or 6 grafts on M. californica that are doing great and pushing new growth this year.  Coming up on a year since grafting. 
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
« Reply #478 on: March 12, 2023, 03:39:08 PM »
All of my grafts that have lasted are on M. californica.  I've got about 5 or 6 grafts on M. californica that are doing great and pushing new growth this year.  Coming up on a year since grafting.

are they potted or in the ground?  how do they handle summer water?

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 12, 2023, 04:13:02 PM »
Al, I'll let you know the status in 6 months since I'm now grafting most of mine on M Pennsylvania.

Also interested in this. Have some M. pensylvanica that will be ready for grafting within the year.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 12, 2023, 09:10:06 PM »

are they potted or in the ground?  how do they handle summer water?

They are in the ground and had been under Shade cages and were receiving deep soaks every week or two depending on conditions. Uncaged em in the winter and plan to leave them uncaged. They are on a south slope so they got lots of hot sun
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 13, 2023, 12:18:04 AM »
Simon, which rootstock is easier to graft these with success, the M Californica or M Cerifera?

I have been grafting on the M Californica only but not on Cerifera.

Both M Californica and Cerifera take grafts equally well for me. Both rootstocks grow vigorously and can push the grafted Yangmei scions to grow rapidly. I did encounter some issues with some of my Yangmei on Californica rootstocks. Some of my plants were growing rapidly and then started drying up all of a sudden. I have been experimenting with various products and believe I have resolved the issue.

I’m currently using Californica, Cerifera, Rubra as rootstocks and Pennsylvanica is next on the list.

I’m very interested to hear if rootstocks influence fruit quality, especially the Brix.

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 13, 2023, 04:01:09 AM »
Thanks Simon for your response. I did not graft any yangmei on the second order since my yangmei plants never got good branches or any new growth. But I did buy some M Californica plants from my local Armstrong in 3 gallon pots (qty-5) which I did not use as rootstock to graft.

But for the third order I was planning to graft some green branches immediately to the five M Californica plants I had in the 3 gallon pots but most of them (3 out of 5) died in the pots for no reason. The last 2 plants ended up dying a few months later as well.

This time I purchased some smaller (1 gallon bare rooted M Californica) to use for the third order after I received the yangmei plants. At least these M Californica plants look much healthier than the 3 gallon plants that cost me $40 each. Hope the grafts take, also started using the Pennsylvanica for rootstock as well.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 13, 2023, 02:01:46 PM »
Does anyone know what these spots on the leaves are? They started appearing about a month ago and are getting worse. Thanks for any info.

Nate

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 13, 2023, 02:15:18 PM »
They look like cold damage to me.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 13, 2023, 02:51:18 PM »
Cold damage or fertilizer burn are my guesses.

TXFruithunter

• HOUSTON
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 14, 2023, 01:22:54 PM »
I need help identifying this. For sec, I thought it would be wild rosemary, but I believe it to be some kind of wax myrtle. I found it along the trail during my running season. Took one home for closer inspection. They were cluster together ranging from couple inches to 3 feetish the tallest.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 14, 2023, 01:28:50 PM »

I should probably separate these soon. They’re starting to really take off!

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 14, 2023, 06:47:45 PM »
I need help identifying this. For sec, I thought it would be wild rosemary, but I believe it to be some kind of wax myrtle. I found it along the trail during my running season. Took one home for closer inspection. They were cluster together ranging from couple inches to 3 feetish the tallest.

Morella pumila?

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 14, 2023, 08:27:50 PM »
Does anyone know what these spots on the leaves are? They started appearing about a month ago and are getting worse. Thanks for any info.

Looks like Persea mites. Are you keeping your plants under a mature tree? If so that could be the source. My avocados get them and so do the wax myrtle growing under the avocado canopies.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 15, 2023, 07:53:54 PM »
They look like cold damage to me.

Cold damage or fertilizer burn are my guesses.

Looks like Persea mites. Are you keeping your plants under a mature tree? If so that could be the source. My avocados get them and so do the wax myrtle growing under the avocado canopies.

Thanks guys. Cold damage is definitely a possibility, seems like we’ve had more frost than ever this year, not to mention a hail and graupel storm! Crazy. I haven’t Fertilized in awhile but do sometimes pour old fish tank water on the soil after cleaning the tank so maybe too much nitrogen in there. It’s planted out in the open so not sure about the mites, there is milkweed all around it so maybe Persea mites from that, but the spots look different than the persea mite damage I’ve seen on our avocado trees. Hopefully just cold damage.
Nate

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 15, 2023, 10:50:57 PM »

Two different varieties on this tree. Crystal on the right, An Hai maybe on the left?
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

TXFruithunter

• HOUSTON
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 15, 2023, 11:22:28 PM »

Two different varieties on this tree. Crystal on the right, An Hai maybe on the left?

I’ve a bunch of rootstocks available but no yangmei to graft it on. Wax myrtle grow like weeds down here. Great looking tree you got there. Wonder if it can be pollinate with regular male wax myrtle

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 16, 2023, 10:42:11 AM »
We'll find out. I've got a 30' Myrica californica that is budding up right now thats a coupel hundred feet away from these guys
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 16, 2023, 09:08:05 PM »
I have my flowering male M Cerifera right on top of my grafted An Hai flowering female so I’ll find out if this cross pollination will work or not.

Simon

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 18, 2023, 11:51:52 PM »
Now we’re getting somewhere gentlemen!  Can’t wait to hear of the native plants successfully pollinate these female gems!  That would certainly make things much easier in the long run.

One step closer to this fruit gaining a foothold in the US.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 19, 2023, 07:09:17 PM »
Seedling yangmei pushing out some new growth

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 19, 2023, 09:15:36 PM »
Nice seedling plant Nick.

Al, I checked all my bare root plants from the 3rd order and half of them have turned brown and dying. So I'm cutting any of the plants that still show green and grafting them all to the M Pennsylvania rootstock this weekend. I hope some of my grafted scionwood make it.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 19, 2023, 10:26:18 PM »
Nice seedling plant Nick.

Al, I checked all my bare root plants from the 3rd order and half of them have turned brown and dying. So I'm cutting any of the plants that still show green and grafting them all to the M Pennsylvania rootstock this weekend. I hope some of my grafted scionwood make it.
Good choice. I did the exact same also. Since they were not my trees I waited until the very last moment until I knew they weren’t gonna grow. Hopefully I can produce a grafted plant for my friend.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 24, 2023, 01:00:53 PM »
I just up potted some of my grafted Yangmei and I love seeing their roots grow out. These are trees that I grafted onto either USA grown Rubra seedling, M Californica or M Cerifera. I stopped planting the legally imported bare root China grafted trees because of the risk of RKN. Also, I’ve found that my trees grafted onto these rootstocks grow extremely vigorously.

Simon