Author Topic: Pinus maximartinezii  (Read 2361 times)

Inyanga

• South Africa
    • View Profile
Pinus maximartinezii
« on: February 05, 2019, 07:53:59 AM »
Hi guys

What are the odds on finding seed of this endangered species? Apparently the largest and most nutritious pine nut in the world.

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
Re: Pinus maximartinezii
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:48:13 AM »
Also interested
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

Botanicus

• North Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »
Also very interested

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 09:17:05 PM »
Gotta keep watch on eBay. No current listings, but there were a couple a few weeks ago. One was exceedingly expensive, the other a more manageable $20 for 10 seeds. I snatched ‘em up and they arrived today. They seem legitimate, quite huge, though I’ve never seen in-shell pine nuts in person. I temporarily stuck a penny in the bag, for scale:

Edit: somebody please look at the pic and tell me I didn’t get scammed.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 09:19:45 PM by Caesar »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 02:04:36 AM »
I'm interested as well!

Edit: somebody please look at the pic and tell me I didn’t get scammed.  ;D

Pinus maximartinezii can have up to 18-24 cotelydons, a large number for a newly germinated seedling so thats something to keep an eye out for as u germinate tthem

https://www.jstor.org/stable/41425043
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 02:06:21 AM by Pandan »

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 01:24:57 PM »
Thanks for the document!

How should I go about preparing and planting them? This is my first time growing any conifer from seed. My initial plan was to soak them for a week with twice daily water changes, like I did with my Baobabs. I think they’re native to a dry region that gets cool, but not cold, in the winter.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 11:48:25 PM »
Thanks for the document!

How should I go about preparing and planting them? This is my first time growing any conifer from seed. My initial plan was to soak them for a week with twice daily water changes, like I did with my Baobabs. I think they’re native to a dry region that gets cool, but not cold, in the winter.

Wish I could be of more assitance there my friend, this plant is on my wishlist but its been some years since I've read about it

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/growing-pinus-maximartinezii-from-seed.42173/

I will say can find more layman info searching "Maxipiñon" than the scientific name but running the species through googlle scholar or some other journal search might also be fruitful on how to raise it

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 11:18:58 AM »
Here is a seedling my friend started in the semi tropics. I don’t really have any insight except pine nuts and pollen is delicious.

jlohr

• Belize
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 02:13:14 PM »
I recently purchased some seeds from rarepalmseeds and they are germinating right now!
They still have instock. 
https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pinus-maximartinezi?search=pinus 

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 07:26:00 PM »
So, does this thing need chill to produce cones? Is there any chance it would do well in Florida?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 09:06:02 PM »
So, does this thing need chill to produce cones? Is there any chance it would do well in Florida?

Little chance, maybe if it was grafted to native pine. This pine is prone to fungal attack. It needs cooler arid nights to thrive, it is native to a small area in Zacatecas above 4k ft elevation.

I germinated them in past but lost the seedlings to damp off stage due to fungal attack.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 11:14:51 PM »
Bummer!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 11:25:21 AM »
For what its worth.
The pictured seedling is growing in Hawaii 100+ inches annually at this location.

Little chance, maybe if it was grafted to native pine. This pine is prone to fungal attack. It needs cooler arid nights to thrive, it is native to a small area in Zacatecas above 4k ft elevation.

I germinated them in past but lost the seedlings to damp off stage due to fungal attack.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 02:48:57 PM »
I am surprised, I know higher elevation Maui is like southern california.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 08:55:35 PM »
I'd be glad to join in on a group purchase. Rarepalmseeds is the only vendor I see that has them available right now though  :-\
Aside from questionable reviews, $86 shipping to US for a couple seeds is wild. Anyone with a contact in central Mexico?

Brian laufer

• USA. California. Oceanside. Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 02:44:21 AM »
I've got some pinus torreyana seeds. It's one of the rarest pines in the world. The nuts are a good size and taste great. It's very drought tolerant. 1$ per seed.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2023, 01:31:35 PM »
I managed to get 5 or 6 seedlings to survive (not all sprouted, and some rotted after sprouting). I counted 23 cotyledons on one seedling, so they’re legitimate! I’ve been keeping them on my front porch over concerns of rain. I water them very sparingly (and they’re in a blend of pro mix and cactus soil), and they seem to be doing great. Now I’m wondering when I should separate them.

Jal

• Brazil, Sao Paulo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 11:04:28 AM »
I get five of nine seeds sprouted from Pinus maximartinezi from Rare Palm Seeds! 21 cotyledons in two first, agrees with the description.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2023, 10:02:53 PM »
I get five of nine seeds sprouted from Pinus maximartinezi from Rare Palm Seeds! 21 cotyledons in two first, agrees with the description.

Keep a good balance on the moisture... I overdid it on the dryness and lost a few more. I moved them to the roof, and lost some more (not sure if too much or too little moisture, there were days of rain and days of clear skies). I’m down to two, I’ve settled on the same watering regimen as my other plants, and so far they seem to be doing well.

Jal

• Brazil, Sao Paulo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2023, 07:52:09 AM »
Hi,
They are still well, all seven are alive, they were transferred to larger containers with some damage to the roots, apparently without damage, two containers fell in the wind, but without damage! I hope this continues, they are doing well but with little visible growth. Exposed to wind and partial sun, very hot at this time, they are irrigated together with other plants twice a day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk